Haunt 2017

Bradenwhite

Went by Kings Island last night to check out the eyes after the Reds game, and I think I saw a new lighting package above the eyes on the tower. It was hard to tell because they had those darn flood lights on. It looks pretty sharp. Just looked like they added more red lights above the eyes. Which is why I might of saw this earlier.

Screenshot_20170920-204811.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am a bit disappointed as well.  With a description like "Something went terribly wrong at the Miami River Chemical Company.." I would expect this to be in Rivertown portion of KI near Mystic Timbers.  Also, are we down a scare zone as well?  I feel like we had 4 last year.

Either way, still stoked for opening night tomorrow!!  \m/

On 8/4/2017 at 9:03 AM, Avalon12 said:

I'm a little concerned they may skimp even more on Haunt this year with Winterfest being the real focus. I was pretty disappointed with it overall last year and I'd hate to lose the little good it had because they have a bigger event. It's a short turn-over though...

Obviously without going yet, I'm starting to agree with this sentiment. It does feel like the emphasis has been on Winterfest and Haunt is getting shorted a bit. Nothing very exciting about the maze lineup or shows. I thought they'd at least incorporate the candy cane structures into a Christmas themed haunt, but I suppose they'll just cover them up since they would be awkward in a bayou theme. I'll reserve my judgement to when I actually go, but my expectations are going to be low.

39 minutes ago, LongLiveTheSmurfRide said:

Obviously without going yet, I'm starting to agree with this sentiment. It does feel like the emphasis has been on Winterfest and Haunt is getting shorted a bit. Nothing very exciting about the maze lineup or shows. I thought they'd at least incorporate the candy cane structures into a Christmas themed haunt, but I suppose they'll just cover them up since they would be awkward in a bayou theme. I'll reserve my judgement to when I actually go, but my expectations are going to be low.

"Christmas in the Bayou" could still be a thing... we shall see! But yeah, I do get that the focus is on Winterfest as it's the "new" thing. However, I'm sure Haunt will be exciting as always, even if there isn't a new maze to explore.

-MDMC, who is starting to get pumped for tommorrow night! :D

I think the new Zones look pretty exciting and interesting, even if there aren't new Mazes. I'm particularly interested in Dance of the Macabre. I prefer Zones anyway because I really hate standing in lines. 

But, if Haunt is taking a bit of a backseat this year in favor of the first Winterfest, it's a trade I'm personally willing to make. And I say that as a person who likes Halloween more than Christmas. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mustbeaweasley said:

We have a friend coming into town next week and they want to go to Haunt. Our game plan is usually Friday night, but with there being the 5k 9/29, would it be potentially less busy to go Saturday?

Ugh I just noticed this as well. We planned to go that Friday also because tomorrow is gonna be too hot and plus with opening night I'd assume busier.

5 minutes ago, Melody said:

Ugh I just noticed this as well. We planned to go that Friday also because tomorrow is gonna be too hot and plus with opening night I'd assume busier.

I think we're still going to do Friday. I feel like it has to still be less busy than Saturday. We went a Friday in October last year and the only thing we waited for was Field of Screams (and it was worth it).

Hi,

Quick question regarding Haunt, how do the crowds of Haunt typically compare to the Summer season at KI? From what I understand, the park is only open on Friday nights, all day Saturday till 1am and Sunday till 7pm, how would you estimate the crowds to be like in order from the busiest day to the slowest day? Thanks so much.

Edited by pianolover2
Typo error

Hi,
Quick question regarding Haunt, how do the crowds of Haunt typically compare to the Summer season at KI? From what I understand, the park is only open on Friday nights, all day Saturday till 1am and Sunday till 7pm, how would you estimate the crowds to be like in order from the busiest day to the slowest day? Thanks so much.

In general, crowds during Haunt are lighter than the summer. This is because it's more locals who go to Haunt where as in the summer you have families traveling from farther away. Friday nights are usually the least crowded. If you want shorter lines for rides and mazes, I would suggest going on a Friday night. Saturday's can be pretty busy, especially if the weather is nice. Sundays can be hit or miss since the mazes aren't open on Sunday's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much guys, it helps a lot to beat the crowds. :) yeah we're planning on either going today or the next 2 Fridays, I kinda figured Saturdays would be busy since that's when the park was busy during the summer season, looking forward to going to Haunt for the first time in my life, been to KI several times during the summer season but never been to KI's Haunt, quick question though, someone mentioned that that earlier in the haunt season the crowds were lighter then later on toward Halloween, what is the reason for this I wonder?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pianolover2 said:

quick question though, someone mentioned that that earlier in the haunt season the crowds were lighter then later on toward Halloween, what is the reason for this I wonder?

Some people can't stand Halloween in September. Like me. The closer you get to a holiday, the more people there are willing to partake in activities related to that holiday.

13 hours ago, Melody said:

Also avoid Friday the 13th that will likely be one of the busiest again depending on weather. One year we lucked out and it was apparently the Mason schools homecoming that night and the park was really dead

That's the night of the main KIC Haunt meetup this year. Check the meetup forum for details.

yeah i myself am also not ready for Halloween quite yet, for one thing it's so hot this weekend that it doesn't even feel like Fall. I would definitely prefer to go to Halloween Haunt on a cooler day, I heard that the music they play during the Haunt is not those typical songs that they played during the summer season, do they play like spooky tunes in the background?

Having gone to Haunt last night, I must say that fears the event would get less attention (because of Winterfest) were unfounded. There is an awesome new giant animatronic next to The Racer, there is a cool new (very large!) prop in Wolf Pack, and Dance of the Macabre was even more amazing than I expected. 

For years I've noticed how well "photo ops" (like the old boardwalk paintings with cutouts to put your head through, or the stocks up at Cedar Point) draw the public, and I have hoped to see more of them at Kings Island. Dance of the Macabre features four tableaux (one under each leg of the Eiffel Tower) that are begging for guests to interact for pictures. That's in addition to the beautifully costumed scareactors I was expecting. Together, I feel like it is a real hit.  

Edit: and yes, Haunt has its own soundtrack featuring music from things like Friday the 13th: the series, Nightmare on Elm Street and other horror movies, etc. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Magenta Lizard said:

Having gone to Haunt last night, I must say that fears the event would get less attention (because of Winterfest) were unfounded. There is an awesome new giant animatronic next to The Racer, there is a cool new (very large!) prop in Wolf Pack, and Dance of the Macabre was even more amazing than I expected. 

For years I've noticed how well "photo ops" (like the old boardwalk paintings with cutouts to put your head through, or the stocks up at Cedar Point) draw the public, and I have hoped to see more of them at Kings Island. Dance of the Macabre features four tableaux (one under each leg of the Eiffel Tower) that are begging for guests to interact for pictures. That's in addition to the beautifully costumed scareactors I was expecting. Together, I feel like it is a real hit.  

Edit: and yes, Haunt has its own soundtrack featuring music from things like Friday the 13th: the series, Nightmare on Elm Street and other horror movies, etc. 

Could not agree more about Dance of the Macabre.  It was amazingly themed, and actually a really cool place to take a break during the evening.  I will say, I wasn't too impressed with Wasteland.  Nightmare Alley was much more fun in my opinion.  Maybe I was expecting more going in.

The new addition by The Racer was incredible though.  Maybe trying to move attention away from the other side of the walkway :)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, chad_1138 said:

The new addition by The Racer was incredible though.  Maybe trying to move attention away from the other side of the walkway :)

Good point, he definetely caught my attention,even though Additudes has been ripped apart and CPW (Coney Potato Works) is no more.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1