Haunt 2017

Bradenwhite

Hi!

I Have a question.

I, sadly, have a pretty bad startle reflex. I love all things spooky, but jump scares are pretty hard for me.

That being said, I've been trying these last couple years to harden myself, as it were. This year at Cedar Point I went through the zones without a No boo for the first time. Had a few rough spots but otherwise dealt well enough. 

I'm thinking about maybe trying a maze this year at KI. Is there a maze that might be along the lines of a "beginner" maze, little less intense, that kind of thing?

• Like 2

Board to Death. There are a couple noisy areas that may cause you a bit of a startle, but it is much less intense than some of the others. 

Also, Slaughterhouse scareactors seem to go more for generally creepy rather than making you jump. 

One to definitely avoid would be CarnEvil. It is one of my favorites because of the old-school funhouse elements, but there are a LOT of noisy drop-windows in there, that occasionally get me and I have a really strong startle resistance. 

• Like 3

I don't know that there's a beginner's maze per se (like the toned down version of Hexed at Cedar Point*), but I guess the least intense maze that I can think of would be Bored to Death. Previously, I would have said Carnevil, but

there are a bunch of loud dropboxes that get me because of the noise

. Also, don't go thru Blackout, it's the worst (seriously!).

Honestly, I think it's about exposure to the environment. I used to work for the park, and the first night I worked Haunt (as a Sweep), I was terrified. Now, I love going to Haunt and enjoy seeing my Scareactor friends (especially Sam and a certain Rivertown Roamer) and making new ones, even if I do get a little startled/scared in the process!

And if you're up to it, try Slaughterhouse. It may be a bit intense and gorey at points, but I love hanging out with my favorite family of butchers!

*Note: I have never been to Halloweekends, I'm just giving that example based on what I've heard*

• Like 3

Yeah I definitely would avoid Blackout, I loved it except I was first holding the rope, it takes a while to get thru it and I've got a hip injury that made it a little difficult. I will do it again just be in the middle, not due to being scared but cause of my hip. 

My husband and I are just getting ready to leave, anyone else going tonight that wants to meet up. 

41 minutes ago, harmony29 said:

My husband and I are just getting ready to leave, anyone else going tonight that wants to meet up.

There's actually going to be a bunch of us there tonight, as we're doing our annual Haunt meetup tonight. Check out the meetup thread here:

We will most likely be at the right side of the front gate shortly after the parking lot opens. You're more than welcome to join us. :)

EDIT: @MDMC01 beat me to it. :P

• Like 2

I went yesterday and had an overall great time. I had some complaints about the Coke Refresh Stations however. I have the drink plan because I get very thirsty while at the park. Last night I only found 2 open stations. One of which was in terrible condition (the one by Adventure Express). Out of the three Coke freestyles 1 of them had ice, most where out of a lot of choices,and there was water everywhere on the floor. The other actually open one was the one by Diamondback and the line was so long it had to have been a 15 minute wait just to get a drink. I can understand not opening some places if the park isn't busy but it was Haunt on Friday the 13th. Also went to the dine in restaurant  by Vortex and out of the 2 of 4 order stations that were on had a working touch screen. Like I said overall I had a great time but from an operations point of view I was left disappointed. 

Also a gripe I had, my group had the skeleton key so we went into the bonus rooms. They were fun and the actors in them were great the only problem was almost every time we'd come out of the room a new group from the normal line would be sent in causing the group walking in to be almost 20+ people. This made many of the scares lame because they would scare the first 5 people and let everyone else know there were there then it wasn't as fun. Better pacing of the lines would make for a better experience.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, IntimateTim said:

I went yesterday and had an overall great time. I had some complaints about the Coke Refresh Stations however. I have the drink plan because I get very thirsty while at the park. Last night I only found 2 open stations. One of which was in terrible condition (the one by Adventure Express). Out of the three Coke freestyles 1 of them had ice, most where out of a lot of choices,and there was water everywhere on the floor. The other actually open one was the one by Diamondback and the line was so long it had to have been a 15 minute wait just to get a drink. I can understand not opening some places if the park isn't busy but it was Haunt on Friday the 13th. Also went to the dine in restaurant  by Vortex and out of the 2 of 4 order stations that were on had a working touch screen. Like I said overall I had a great time but from an operations point of view I was left disappointed. 

Also a gripe I had, my group had the skeleton key so we went into the bonus rooms. They were fun and the actors in them were great the only problem was almost every time we'd come out of the room a new group from the normal line would be sent in causing the group walking in to be almost 20+ people. This made many of the scares lame because they would scare the first 5 people and let everyone else know there were there then it wasn't as fun. Better pacing of the lines would make for a better experience.

Just to add to this. The KI App all last night was a joke. They were supposed to have special giveaways on the app last night but it never worked. The map on it used to show ride times but not last night. In fact last night it didn't even show anything. It was like looking at a satellite view of the park. Nothing was labeled, there were no information to be found about rides,shows, or haunts. And yes I had bluetooth on and allowed the app to use my location.  

• Like 2

We had a really great time meeting everyone last night! Only wish we didn't have to leave so early but a 2 hour drive home we didn't have a choice. We did get a ride in Banshee before we left. 

Looking forward to Winterfest and the meet up at Great Wolf Lodge, would like to share a room to cut expenses. Now we are just trying to figure out how to get up to CP the last weekend and the last Sunday to KI. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

Why does Killmart have it’s own Gravestone? Link: 

Maybe a sign of things to come?  Pure speculation mostly because using the building for a hunt seems like a waste.  Make this building into the smokehouse.  Use the space from the former attitudes store for an antique cars ride which utilizes the tower gardens.

• Like 2

Forgot....I couldn't believe the line for field of screams, I have a ride pass and got a time of 845, the line looked like it went on for miles, we kept walking and walking and all these people in line just kept twisting around. I liked it but not enough to wait that long!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, harmony29 said:

Forgot....I couldn't believe the line for field of screams, I have a ride pass and got a time of 845, the line looked like it went on for miles, we kept walking and walking and all these people in line just kept twisting around. I liked it but not enough to wait that long!

Yeah, I made that walk back there with you and couldn't believe it myself. That line went on forever!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Oldiesmann said:

From WGRR's Facebook page:

Tapatalk users: https://www.facebook.com/103.5WGRR/

First post is a video of the haunted wedding. The second post is the winning couple along with WGRR morning show hosts Chris O'Brien and Janeen Coyle on Mystic Timbers.

In a case like that, do you toss the bouquet or rude in front and just set it over your sholder down the first hill?

• Like 2

We had date night (day) and decided against our better judgement to go to Kings Island for Haunt. We knew it would be busy.  I am not necessarily a horror, Haunt kind of fan, but he is. 

We were there open to close AND we didn't have to hang out in Planet Snoopy. 

The park was packed. Ride lines long. Food lines longer. We expected this so no big deal. We opted to buy the Fright Lane pass because it was so busy which actually salvaged the day. I think next year we will do the pass again.

We actually had a great time. Slaughterhouse was hands down our favorite.  Backwoods Bayou was our least favorite. I wish Field of Screams had a few more scare actors because the lay out was actually fun. The scarecrow actually scared my husband, which actually is impressive because he doesn't scare easily.  

Props to the make up artist and costuming. I guess some create their own costumes, they were actually decent. Make up though was spot on. 

Criticism though to the slow lines especially in food and even just getting drinks. It was faster for us to get beer than it was for food. (Yay beer lines!) I am sure they have to be understaffed, but no one seemed to be in a hurry. 

I have to say the biggest disappointment was guests. While I know the park can really do so much and I actually watched them try to control things, but the level of disrespect towards the scare actors, especially those who roam is insane. Smacking them, pushing them, yelling st them, it's inexcusable. There was one that was smacked in the face. Why? Security was called, they took it seriously or seemed to. The one who was slapped didn't even try to scare this person. They went up and just did it. Another person smacked one girl clown on her backside. Blatant disrespect of others makes me upset. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Just so you know, I liked your post because of your review (and that you think Slaughterhouse was awesome - I take it you met Sam?). On another note, It's sad that people disrespect the Scareactors, some of which are my (and others) friends both in and out of costume. For all you out there, please be respectful (or at least try, some people have interesting reactions when scared...) of the Scareactors, they're just trying to have a little fun...

• Like 2

Sam, was he in the Skeleton key room? There were two in there. I actually loved that room. Even though I didn't care for Urgent Scare, the keyroom was fun.

I don't know if what I experienced is normal or it was just rude jerks during Haunt. I am guessing not common since we've been there a lot and haven't seen anything like it until last night, but we hadn't been at night to Haunt, just during normal operations. I asked one of the actors if they wanted us to go to guest services to report anything and they said security had been called. Within a matter of a few minutes security was there and was talking to a guest who had smacked someone in the face. It was impressive that security was there quickly and seemed to take it seriously.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ellie said:

Sam, was he in the Skeleton key room? There were two in there. I actually loved that room. Even though I didn't care for Urgent Scare, the keyroom was fun.

I don't know if what I experienced is normal or it was just rude jerks during Haunt. I am guessing not common since we've been there a lot and haven't seen anything like it until last night, but we hadn't been at night to Haunt, just during normal operations. I asked one of the actors if they wanted us to go to guest services to report anything and they said security had been called. Within a matter of a few minutes security was there and was talking to a guest who had smacked someone in the face. It was impressive that security was there quickly and seemed to take it seriously.

Correct. Sam is the main guy talking, behind the table.

• Like 1

I'm not surprised at the disrespect unfortunately, when I lived in Michigan I worked in a haunted house and I was following a boy and his dad, guess the kid didn't like me following him because he turned around and punched me in the face, gave me a black eye and his dad just laughed and they took off. That was a long time ago so I'm sure things have only gotten worse. 

On 10/14/2017 at 0:37 PM, IntimateTim said:

I completely understand your gripe.  I can only speak for the house I work in, but unfortunately with the way the house is set up it's impossible for us in the skeleton key to know when a group is entering from the main line, and vice versa, they can't tell when we're sending a group in from skeleton key.  If the scareactors are good, they can get multiple scares in large groups.  It's all about resetting quickly.  Most houses purposefully have twisty layouts so there is time to get the beginning, middle and end of large groups.  I've done it plenty of times myself.

On 10/15/2017 at 3:11 AM, Ellie said:

We actually had a great time. Slaughterhouse was hands down our favorite.

I have to say the biggest disappointment was guests. While I know the park can really do so much and I actually watched them try to control things, but the level of disrespect towards the scare actors, especially those who roam is insane. Smacking them, pushing them, yelling st them, it's inexcusable. There was one that was smacked in the face. Why? Security was called, they took it seriously or seemed to. The one who was slapped didn't even try to scare this person. They went up and just did it. Another person smacked one girl clown on her backside. Blatant disrespect of others makes me upset. 

On 10/15/2017 at 9:10 AM, MDMC01 said:

Just so you know, I liked your post because of your review (and that you think Slaughterhouse was awesome - I take it you met Sam?). 

On 10/15/2017 at 11:09 AM, Ellie said:

Sam, was he in the Skeleton key room? There were two in there. I actually loved that room. 

On 10/15/2017 at 4:59 PM, Ellie said:

Then I met him. Indirectly, obviously. I am guessing he's not so "Sam" like in person lol he sounded like he was losing his voice. Or puberty was hitting a time or two. 

Thanks for liking Slaughterhouse!  Sam's the one in the skeleton key with the white coat, white butcher hat and red & yellow eyes. He does most of the talking in the Skeleton Key room most of the time, but sometimes he lets his brother Billy take over.  Talking so much does take its toll on his voice.

Sory i got 2 cut in heer!  Thanx 4 lyking slawtrhowse lyk gatr sed.  Saterday my voys wuz ruff n krakin. Win that hapns i mayk a jok n say "pubirtie sux!"  U myt hav bin in 1 ov thos groops wear i mayd that jok.  - Sam

Sorry about that.  Sam got loose for a minute.  I thought I had him safely locked away until Friday but when he senses that he's being discussed, he gets active.

Also, thanks for your concern about our safety.  Unfortunately it does happen from time to time.  I've been hit a few times myself in my 10 years working Haunt.  Sometimes it's a guest's fight or flight response kicking in, you can tell when it's that and that's no problem.  But it's those that purposefully hit that are the problem, and luckily Security & management takes that very seriously!

• Like 7