Fast Lane Idea (suggestion)

AintNutinElse2Do

Fast Lane is always a bit of a controversial topic so I'll veer away from some of the social arguments for and against.  However,  I feel that at current rate there is a great possibility the risk will start outweighing the reward with greater impacts for the standby line.  I also understand that these upgrades are here to stay.  That said any changes must be profitable to the park.  The current system is great for it's purchasers but there is likely hood of abuse.  So using the current armband system and some software modifications I think a timed tier system would work wonders to level the playing field while still giving price based incentives.   I'll give the example below,  of course the prices could be adjusted these are just guessed approximations.

Tier 1

$29.99 Guests are able to skip one attraction every hour and a half*

*Mystic Timbers and Firehawk may only be skipped once every 2 hours

Tier 2

$49.99 Guests are able to skip one attraction ever hour*

**Mystic Timbers and Firehawk may only be skipped every hour and a half

Tier 3

69.99 Guests are able to skip one attraction every 30 minutes*

**Mystic Timbers and Firehawk may only skipped every hour

Having an option at a lower price point would surely increase purchases while limiting it's benefits the most.  This option has a minimal impact on the standby line.   Even the highest tier option, while providing a great benefit to the purchaser is a controlled impact to standby.  By selling it in tiers, this would also create additional options for Fast Lane season passes.  Also implementation could occur simply by assigning time differentials to the wrist-bands (or other device) simply enter the Fast Lane cue scan to be provided access and your timer resets for your tiered amount of time.  If you wanted to do an additional upgrade you could implement it by developing a simple watch band that would light up when it's your time to ride again.

Anyhow this is just an idea that steals some of what I consider the best parts of different approaches to Fast Lane type systems.   What do you all think?

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, KIBeast said:

Personally, I like Fast Lane the way it is. I think if you had different price points that are cheaper, your FL line would wind up being longer than your regular line, which defeats the entire purpose. 

This. The higher price point keeps the Fast Lane lines shorter and makes it much more of a luxury item, which Fast Lane is and always will be. It's pure profit for the park, why would they cut into that? Fast Lane makes them a ton of money, why sabotage themselves?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

On a transcript of the Q2 earnings call I skimmed, I believe there was mention of bringing the FL  SP to KI.   Certainly will be controversial.  

I can't even imagine what that would cost. Meals vs Meal Plans are around 5 days to get to "savings". Fast Passes are what, 60 bucks a day? You are looking at a Fast Lane season pass of 300 bucks, on top of the 100 bucks for the pass itself.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

On a transcript of the Q2 earnings call I skimmed, I believe there was mention of bringing the FL  SP to KI.   Certainly will be controversial.  

Not exactly, they were answering a question about season pass sales.  They first use Kings Island as an example because it has one of the highest number of Pass Holders of any park in the chain.  Then talk about the incremental add-ons including Dining, photos, beverages, and fastlane.  They never discussed adding season long Fast Lane to Kings Island or expanding the program in general.  

But I would not be surprised to see it next year.  Likely around $499.  After Canada's Wonderland started offering it at $499 I expect Kings Island to be next.  The next step is chain wide fastlane for even more money but it would work at Cedar Point.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

^I get what you're saying about too many rules to follow but it could be done quite simply.   If upgraded to a watch-band like system,  when it turns green you can skip another line.  If still using the current wrist bands if you scan too early it'd say come back in xx minutes.   The price points were just an example and could likely be justified at 10-15 dollars more on each one.   Keep in mind while there would be a cheaper option and many more purchases may be made.  By implementing a time constraints system the cheaper option would only be getting a max of 6 skips a day if you stay  9 hours at the park.  Granted I don't have all the access to the numbers needed to give actual numbers or time constraints that would work properly.  I do think going to a time based system would be more fair for everyone and would retain most of the value of the add ons.  On the highest price tier you'd essentially get to enjoy the park at a fairly normal pace without waiting in lines,  one ride every thirty minutes seems pretty reasonable for a natural flow but also eliminates abuse of people marathoning certain rides.  On the lowest price tier you still get perks but you'd have to be a bit more selective on how you use it.

Think of this as a mix between Qbots where you have a simulated wait, TimeSavers and Quick Ques where it limits the number of skips,  and the current Fast Lane.

Edited by AintNutinElse2Do
added to it

While I don't hate this idea, I just don't see KI implementing something like this because it would require them to add a new system(s) to track the new bands and different tiers.  Regardless of if it's a kiosk where you scan your band and it tracks your times, or if it's as simple as a hand scanner that a ride-op scans, at even the most basic options, it would still require KI to install some type of timer/tracking system.  What incentive is there for them to spend money on reinventing something that's already in place and already making them a ton of money? It costs them pennies to hand out little paper wrist bands at $60+ a pop.  It's basically like printing their own money and they don't have to change a thing. 

If KI was going to implement some kind of wristband tracking system, I'd like to see them install something like the TapuTapu system that Universal has at their Volcano Bay.  It would be interesting to see Cedar Fair install something like this where you could walk up to the ride you want to ride, tap your band to the kiosk, add yourself to the virtual queue, then walk away.  Although this would be a great system for guests to utilize, it would be a huge investment for Cedar Fair - then this goes back to my original statement, what incentive is there for them to spend money on this? At this point, none.  I think currently, Cedar Fair is happy enough to hand out little paper wristbands and let the guests line up in a separate entrance regardless of how long the waits become. 

11 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

No one has mentioned the tiers that many other parks use:

Tier 1: Unlimited front of the line

Tier 2: Skip the normal line one time on each attraction

THis is what I could see more liekly for a tiered system. Have the unlimited regular and plus that they currenty offer, then a slightly cheaper one that allows you one skip per ride or something, maybe even only on the major rides too liek coasters and thrill rides. Could have a punch card like the Skeleton Key passes or jsut a spot to mark off on the band for each ride it's good for. Like have logos for all the major rides around the band and worker at teh Fast Lane gate jsut uses a sharpie and crosses off that ride. Would be really easy to implement and offer a third tier. Again though it jsut comes down to how much will it impact the lines as a whole.

If you make it cheap enough that tons of people buy it, then despite only getting one skip per ride it can still cause a large increase in teh Fast Lane line that will greatly slow down the stand by line, as well as increase the wait for FL too, making peopelt hat paid more for the regular options be upset about still having a bit of a wait even though they paid a high preium to skip waits. But if you make it too close in cost to the regular Fast Lane then it will liekly not be worth it as why not pay $10-$15 more and get to skip as offten as you want. I'm sure some families that are on a tight budget woudl still opt for it when they coudln't afford to shell out an additional $60 for 4 FL passes, but i'd say most guests woudl jstu opt to pay the small additional fee for an unlimited option. So there woudl be a very fine line of feasibility for it.

I have never used Fast Pass because as a season pass holder, I know I can come back when lines are shorter. I like to head to the park during the week to cut through the crowds. If I was to go on weekends only, I would still question FP as I can just ride one or two big rides and come back again. 

It is really interesting that KI has a big season pass base to me. We are lucky enough to have some great coasters both historic and new. Everything from The Racer, Vortex, and Banshee have real importance in the coaster world and would be big draws at any park. I guess I am just jaded as they are in my backyard. I think a good parallel would be Disneyland to Disney World. Disneyland has a large passholder base and they are just implementing a fast pass system similar to Magic Bands at Disney World. It wouldn't make sense to offer a year long fast pass option at Disneyland because they can make more money through food and merchandise sales.

^  You mean like almost every other amusement park?

The current system is a joke. This is an area that SIX, and Herschend excel compared to CF.  

I completely understand, and even endorse, the sale of these time saving tools, but there has to be some kind of limit as to their use. At Dollywood this year, we were issued a wristband. It had little tabs that were good for a pass on a given ride, and a few "wild card" tabs good for any ride. It seems Herschend, and SIX have both found ways to both increase profit, and throttle demand on the most popular attractions.

• Like 1

Im not seeing what's wrong with the current system. I don't know how you can abuse the Fast pass. You buy it and it's good for a day. Unlimited.

It's great for when you don't live next door to KI and you maybe want to ride something repeatedly. I have to plan my trips a month out and only get to do so once a month. So if it rains or it's busy I don't get to ride at much or at all. It's not worth it to drive for a few hours to spend most of your day in a line. I can go to Walmart for that. Grab a fast pass and you're good to go with a great ride filled day. 

Full disclosure. I have never been to another park as an adult so I've only read about other systems. But the idea of checking in and going to wait somewhere else for your turn doesn't sound too great. Apologies for ignorance. I'm just trying to understand. 

I think what people mean by it being abused, is people that buy it and marathon a ride.  For example, if you are waiting in a line for Mystic Timbers for forty five minutes and you see the same person using Fastlane to ride the ride ten times when you are in line, that is abusing it, because that person is taking up ten seats on the ride.  Had that person not been doing that, you would have been on the ride sooner.  Its not so bad it is is just one person doing that.  But when you have just five people doing the same thin, that means you (also as a paying guest) are now having to wait for an additional three trains.  Again, not that big of a deal, but over the course of the day, those minutes can add up.  

I am not for or against Fast Lane.  It has its place.  It does earn Cedar Fair extra money.  I do agree that limiting the number might be useful at times, but then again, that is one of the perks for paying so much for it.  The Fright Lane passes that they have four Haunt, I believe are limited to one time through each attraction.

• Like 1

Ah I see. Thank you. I don't think that's abuse though.  They paid for that luxury and deserve to do it. You can't marathon it a ride of you have to wait thirty minutes between rides. I do agree a large group with them does add up. 

Also I shudder when I see a large group or family all with them. All I think about is how that cost more than my first car. 

• Like 1

Precisely.  I fail to grasp how marathoning Mystic Timbers all day with Fast Lane is any different that a 5 coaster marathon cycling between Diamondback, Mystic Timbers, The Beast, BLSC then back to Diamondback with Fast Lane.  When you have 5 people doing this the effect is exactly the same except for those couple extra minutes travel time between coasters vs exit to entrance.  

We all know a few here who are famous for speed walking prowess so I posit the difference is negligible.   :D

• Like 2

I've used FLP at CP and it was a great value for the money.  (The gave me an unasked for discount-FLP at the cost of FL for showing my Platinum Pass.)  But I only make it to CP once or twice a year.  I have also used FLP at KI, but I was with a friend who only goes once a year at  most.  I try and go to KI when lines shouldn't be long.

I did not like the Flash Pass program at SIX.  When I went to SFMM last winter, I only had 1.5 days in the park, so on the second day, I bought one.  You have to carry around a device, you have to program in a ride and time, and you can only add one ride at a time.  Often times, I was waiting around until my ride time was open.  

^ Never been to MM but sounds like you bought the lowest level of Flash Pass.   They run from Basic up to Platinum at SFSTL.   Then of course there is the VIP Tour that CF parks have which is true front of the line access with the only requirement that you must ride another attraction before going back.  MT>DB>MT>DB rinse repeat.    

I suspect the Gold VIP Tour will be popular at CP next year with Maverick>RMC Streak>Maverick>RMC Streak rinse repeat.   Not abuse, those are the established rules.    

I can't marathon anything so it is not for me, but if I could sounds like a wise investment.  

1 minute ago, jtro223 said:

I've used FLP at CP and it was a great value for the money.  (The gave me an unasked for discount-FLP at the cost of FL for showing my Platinum Pass.)  But I only make it to CP once or twice a year.  I have also used FLP at KI, but I was with a friend who only goes once a year at  most.  I try and go to KI when lines shouldn't be long.

I did not like the Flash Pass program at SIX.  When I went to SFMM last winter, I only had 1.5 days in the park, so on the second day, I bought one.  You have to carry around a device, you have to program in a ride and time, and you can only add one ride at a time.  Often times, I was waiting around until my ride time was open.  

Keep in mind that Fast Lane is designed with one purpose (for the guest, that is): jump you to the front of the line (or close to it) as often as you want. The Flash Pass, however, is a virtual queuing system, with the idea being that you wait in line without actually standing in the queue the whole time. The basic form of the latter does allow you to do more rides (by, e.g., doing a 45-minute wait for a ride and doing a meal or show concurrently rather than consecutively), but not nearly as many. Six Flags does offer higher tiers that actually shorten wait times, but the same concept applies to a slightly lesser extent.

I would prefer to see Cedar Fair move toward a Flash Pass-like system.

• Like 1

The problem with the current CF implementation I see is that it is very subjective and really depends on what the Station Guard decides what to do.   In some cases the Guard allows everyone with a FL immediate station access no matter how many people and some actually throttle the FL line.   There is no consistency.   

• Like 3

^Its that way for non-FL people as well.  Some employees let a few cycles at each gate (on coasters), some leave only a single cycle's worth of people at the gates sans the front seat line, some allow for people to pick rows, some don't.  Mystic Timbers and Backlot also have inconsistencies between pairing up riders and not.  And that lack of consistency feels unique to Kings Island, at least going by my experiences at MIA and CP by comparison.  

• Like 1

I too have seen different ride ops doing different things with the Fastlane people. I prefer they just let them in. That way there isn't a big line that gets a whole train. That said if there are a ton of FL people I'm not sure what the right answer would be. That's got to be a tough thing to balance. 

Thanks for the info about other parks. I think I still would prefer KI system. Waiting is waiting and I'd rather just get on the ride.

Another question about the other systems.. If you get in the virtual queue is there a time limit or can you bonk off and just skip the line when you please? 

Nice googling for those patents! 

On Mystic Timbers I love that they assign rows. I wish they did that on more rides.  I hate seeing a bunch of empty seats when they could fill them up. Especially on Banshee. One person and three empty seats with a twenty minute line? I've also have had great success requesting a seat. Maybe I wait a few cycles and that's OK. I agree it depends on who is running things. 

Sorry this post is jumping around. Overall I think KI does a great job and most of what I see that causes issues are other guests.