IndyGuy4KI

Don said 12 or more rides would be open

I'm guessing:

1. Grand Carousel
  2. Planet Snoopy Carousel
  3. Scrambler
  4. Dodge Cars
  5. Shake Rattle and Roll
  6. Mystic Timbers (that's pretty much for certain)
  7. Boo Blasters
  8. Train (Of Course)
  9. Woodstock Express
  10. Great Pumpkin
  11. Woodstock Whirly Birds
  12. Kid's train (the name escapes me)

Probably about everything in Planet Snoopy could be on the list though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chad_1138 said:

I'd like to see a Krampus themed shed.

Yeah, no. This is actually what I was afraid of. I used to be terrified of Santa when I was a kid (but we're cool now! B) 

(I know KI's Santa (for Christmas in July) and he's a cool dude!)

) and I was wondering if something creepy would be in the shed come Winterfest.

• Like 3

Ok.... I'm intrigued about the shed.... How about three sequences....

Each song sequence plays like a warped record disk.

1. Holly Jolly Christmas
  2. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
  3. Silent Night

Video Sequences:

1. Mutant Reindeer
  2. Abominable Snowman
  3. and of course Krampus (MDMC01 can cover his eyes if this one pops up.... :P )
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Yes, yes I can lol (though, naturally it would be randomized, so maybe there would be a clue that said event would happen, much like

how when the "door" is closed, you know the cool tree will pop out

Also, even without evil Santa (not to be confused with the awesome Haunt character that roams Coney Mall at night...), it would be a really creepy atmosphere anyway with the warped disc. I feel like getting me to ride Mystic during Winterfest could turn into a challenge of some sort during the GWL Holiday Party...

• Like 2

On 8/17/2017 at 10:18 PM, upstop said:

Don said 12 or more rides would be open

I'm guessing:

1. Grand Carousel
  2. Planet Snoopy Carousel
  3. Scrambler
  4. Dodge Cars
  5. Shake Rattle and Roll
  6. Mystic Timbers (that's pretty much for certain)
  7. Boo Blasters
  8. Train (Of Course)
  9. Woodstock Express
  10. Great Pumpkin
  11. Woodstock Whirly Birds
  12. Kid's train (the name escapes me)

Probably about everything in Planet Snoopy could be on the list though.

Wonder if Flight of Fear would be open since that's indoor?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CoastersRZ said:

Yes, that is sound logic.  However, they may have chosen to forgo the heating element when installing the HVAC system to save money.  Why install a heating system when the ride is not open in the peak winter season?

Some nights during Haunt it can get very chilly and may be needed?

• Like 2

There will be a heating element in the HVAC units.  It may be minimal, but there will be heat.  Heating is relatively cheap compared to AC.

They install the heat for several reasons, 1 as I said, its cheap, your not going to save much money taking the heating element out, even if you didn't run it.  2, they may use the heating element to help control humidity in the space (though I'm guessing they don't worry about the humidity at all).  3, they'll use the heating element to help warm up the building during the early and late parts of the year when the days start out in the 40s or 50s before climbing into the 70s in the afternoon.  4, did I mention that its cheap?

All that said, it wouldn't surprise me if they kept it closed simply to keep that part of the park closed off to guest to help control traffic flow, limit the amount of workers needed, and help the offseason maintenance crew start crossing more things off their list.  However, being indoors, I'm sure it would be popular and would have long lines during Winterfest, so I kind of expect it to be open as long as they are operating some other rides back in the coney area (bumper cars, scrambler, swings, games, etc...)

I'm not sure what Don considers a ride, but I'd guess that just about all of Planet Snoopy will be operational as Families would naturally be the target market over thrill seekers that time of year.

• Like 3

Also how much of the park will be open? If certain sections are closed off, then one would cancel out the possible rides to be open. If you look back at 2005, the four sections that remained open were International Street, Oktoberfest, Nickelodeon Universe, and Rivertown. 

Paramounts-Kings-Island-Winterfest-Map-2

I highly doubt that Action Zone and Coneymall/X-Base will be open because of staffing. I could be wrong though.

My twelve rides would be

1. Kings Island and Miami Valley Railroad
  2. Mystic Timbers
  3. Grand Carousel 
  4. Boo Blasters
  5. Great Pumpkin Coaster
  6. Charlie Brown's Windup
  7. Sally's Seaplane
  8. Snoopy vs Red Baron
  9. Woodstock Express
  10. Viking Fury
  11. Kite Eating Tree
  12. Woodstock Wirlybirds 
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, FoF96" said:

Anyone want to petition WindSeeker be open?  (Only kidding, rode that thing on a chilly haunt day. That was bad enough.)

30mph is fairly slow by coaster standards and I doubt the temps are much different at 300' vs. 100'.  The wind may be more steady but that should only impact the ride for approximately half the circle.  

I imagine it would be more comfortable temperature wise than a 50mph+ coaster.  @VortexBFForever what is WindSeeker's cycle duration?

• Like 1

On 8/16/2017 at 6:17 PM, SonofBaconator said:

Mystic Timbers confirmed for Winterfest! I wonder if the shed will change it's theme

I was told by Carowinds Management when I was Winterfest 2005 that OddCoaster(now Woodstock Express) couldn't operate because of moisture in the wood freezing. This is 12 year old information and park management has changed for Carowinds and KI. In addition GCI I assume KI knew Winterfest was coming while MT was in design stages, is it possible that MT was designed to be capable of running in colder temps than older wooden coasters like Woodstock Express and Racer? Maybe additional supports and bracing?

I have read multiple reports of Dollywood closing Thunderhead at certain temperatures, I have seen anywhere from 30.5 degrees to 40 degrees. 

• Like 1

On 8/25/2017 at 6:22 PM, King Ding Dong said:

@VortexBFForever what is WindSeeker's cycle duration?

Three minutes, including approximately thirty seconds spent at the top (256 feet up!).

On an added note, WindSeeker can operate in temperatures as low as 23 degrees Fahrenheit.

As for Vortex, it won't open for Winterfest unless there somehow is an unseasonably warm day. 50 to start up, 40 to operate, then after going all day it can operate until the temperature dips below 32 degrees Fahrenheit. Yes, I have seen days in December where the temperature is 50-60 degrees, but those days are few and far between.

But whether or not WindSeeker or Vortex opens at all for Winterfest, I'm excited for whatever rides will open! :D 

• Like 2