Prize giveaway cruise (scam?)

Saerenzea

During my last visit I filled out one of those cards where you win some four wheeled vehicle. I did it jokingly as I have never won anything in my life. I didn't win it. But I did get a call saying I won a cruise. It was a live person who called and it was a local phone number to me (Indiana) which I thought was odd for a thing I tried to win in Ohio. It sounded legit until he asked my FICO score. I don't know what mine is but I knew it was lower than the requirement for the cruise. So I am pretty sure it's a scam or they used my information to try and get a sale of some sort. 

I just wanted to see if any one else has had this happen to them. If I really did win something great (well not really). If it is a scam or aggressive sales tactic I would warn everyone to avoid putting their information in these things. Thanks! 

These sorts of marketing calls usually aren't scams, but they're never good deals either. A "free" cruise or hotel stay might require paying fees and/or attending high-pressure sales pitches (eg. for a timeshare). If you jump through all the hoops, the cruise or stay you get probably wouldn't be worth much.

I've fielded plenty of these calls, though I hang up immediately. I never enter contests unless I've read the rules and am okay with receiving marketing from the sponsoring company. Are you sure this call was in response to the contest you entered from the display at Kings Island?

• Like 1

99% of the time those prize drawing give aways are data mining operations. With the no call lists becoming so popular, they get you to freely give your info. It's a loophole in the clause of no call, if you've freely given your info, you've asked to be contacted in the future for "possible other giveaways". It's the old time share sales pitch routine. We'll give you this free cruise if you submit to a 1 hour seminar about how owning (insert good or service here) can change your life forever!! Can't blame them for trying, everybody is just trying to make a living. But it's annoying. 

• Like 2