Kings Dominion 8/18-19/2017

robbieg123

Good evening! I've always read others' reports, but surprisingly, this is my first trip report ever on this site! :o  I'm a displaced Kings Island "guru," I grew up in Loveland, OH, ~15 minutes away from Kings Island, from 1992-2009, and on and off again since then. Bought the platinum season pass around Labor Day last year, so entrance access to all Cedar Fair parks and parking lots. Hadn't had the chance to make it to a Cedar Fair park until this trip due to being in an adult league baseball season having games on Saturdays.

Anyway, here goes!

I arrived at the park at 5:20pm, and started out on Grizzly. The line was non-existant, so I walked right into the front seat. Really enjoyed this ride, brought back some memories of my first ride on The Beast.

I walked over to the opposite side of the park, and hopped on Backlot Stunt Coaster, again a very short wait. The ride itself was fun as always, but it is a clone of Kings Island's, of course. The visual effects at the helicopter section was completely turned off, there was only gunshot/helicopter audio, so that was disappointing. Right afterward, the indoor part was completely dark, which I remember seeing lights on the inside section at Kings Island, so this was a nice surprise.

Then went over to Volcano, and rode in the front seat. This is my favorite ride so far at Kings Dominion! Really enjoyed the LIM launches on this one, really smooth ride too!

Next I did, Anaconda, again riding in the front seat and got onto the ride within a few minutes. Very similar to The Vortex, but different enough to be enjoyable.

At 6:45p, as the train I was on pulled into Anaconda's station, the ride operator announced that due to incoming inclement weather, ride operations are suspended until further notice. And what a light show that provided at the end of the night, and great skies while walking back to my car (see pictures below).

Went to a restaurant in the park (Victoria's Pizza), got a slice of pepperoni and two breadsticks for dinner. Pretty good food!

Afterward, I went to the Kings Dominion Theatre, and saw their "Origins: A Cirque Experience," and was very impressed!! (While it rained heavily outside)

I wanted to ride Intimidator 305, Dominator, and Rebel Yell, but the lightning didn't cooperate/allow me to. Avalanche was closed and The Crypt was in test runs while the rides were open. I really miss The Crypt/Tomb Raider: The Ride. I'll try to get to these tomorrow morning.

IMG_0294.JPG

IMG_0295.JPG

• Like 4

August 19th return trip:

Started out my day at 10am riding Dominator. Very nice ride, very smooth, and fun. Wait for the front seat was maybe ten minutes.

Made my way over to Candy Apple Grove area, rode the Ricochet. Pretty good stationary "wild mouse" ride.

Rebel Yell, both sides were walk on in the front, exciting wooden rollercoaster as always.

WindSeeker wasn't operating at the start of the day.

Rode Drop Tower solo, and it was pretty good. Nice controlled falling. :)

Went over to Delirium, great as always. I was surprised that the over the shoulder restraints were automatic on this, I don't remember if Kings Island's are automated.

I then went over to The Crypt. Definitely a different ride than Tomb Raider: The Ride, but still was enjoyable! It flipped so many times! The theming on this ride is very lacking, with alot of the props eroding, as you can see lots of the interior Styrofoam on several objects, but minor complaint.

Next up was Avalanche. Very smooth and different ride than many rides I've been on before, being a bobsled course "roller coaster."

Went to Flight of Fear next. I was quite surprised that there was no queue line show like Kings Island's. It may still be intact, but only open when the lines are long, but if it was, they had it closed off. The ride was good as Kings Island's so no difference there.

The last ride I did for the day was Intimidator 305. Man oh man, was this a great ride! Great speed, great excitement, and I rode it twice!

Kings Dominion's Action Theater (looks to still have the Days of Thunder signage for the seating rows on the doors :)) seems to be operating, and they had "Toy Race" running, but whenever I passed, the entrance was closed. Apparently a show starts every 25 minutes, but I didn't have the time to be able to wait for the next showing. If anyone has any details on this, I'd appreciate hearing them, since there's no details on the show on their website.

Kings Dominion Roundup:
#1 metal ride: Intimidator 305
#2 metal ride: Dominator
#3 metal ride: Volcano
#4 metal ride: Avalanch
#1 wood ride: Grizzly
#2 wood ride: Rebel Yell

• Like 3