Kings Island and ACE

Pagoda Gift Shop

Does anyone have info about the relationship between Kings Island and ACE (American Coaster Enthusiasts)?  Last week, ACE members were apparently invited for ERT on Mystic Timbers and The Beast for National Roller Coaster day (tweet).  Earlier this year, they were also invited to media day for Mystic Timbers.  

I would love to be able to attend special events like these, but I've been a Coasterbuzz member for well over 10 years now.  I know a lot of people around here are in Coaster Crew as well.  Events like Coasterstock are open to a variety of clubs, just curious if anyone knows why ACE is getting special treatment.  It certainly makes me feel like I'm in the wrong coaster club because we don't get invited.

This is my understanding of the issues and the two events that you asking about are not directly related.  

The Mystic Timbers media day invite was due to issues on the Banshee media day.  Basiclly it went very badly and it was decided to stop inviting coaster clubs at all.  When Mystic Timbers media day came around it was decided that instead of not having enthusiasts at all to invite a single club.  Obviously the club that was invited was ACE and from what I have heard this is likely to continue in the future.  I expect only ACE will be invited to media day for Steel Venom.  If media day invites are important to you I believe you should join ACE.

ACE has had special access to The Beast for years, this is not new.  Ever since ACE gave The Beast landmark status the park has been doing exclusive events for ACE.  I do not know if the park is still doing this but they used to do a walk back when the park opens so they would be the first riders every morning.

Outside of those two experiences I expect the other coaster clubs to continue to receive invites to events.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kenban said:

The Mystic Timbers media day invite was due to issues on the Banshee media day.  Basiclly it went very badly and it was decided to stop inviting coaster clubs at all.  When Mystic Timbers media day came around it was decided that instead of not having enthusiasts at all to invite a single club.

I'm not sure where you heard that, but things didn't go badly on Banshee's Media Day. The issue is that it drew a lot of people, and there weren't room for nearly that many at Mystic Timbers Media Day. ACE is the largest and most-active club, so their members got the invitation.

Kings Island has a good relationship with most coaster clubs. ACE, GOCC, Coaster Crew, CoasterBuzz and Club TPR have all held events at the park over the past several years. The decision was made to concentrate enthusiast ERT into two events this year (Coasterstock and National Roller Coaster Day), which is why you aren't seeing more club-sponsored events at KI. All the aforementioned clubs have been invited to Coasterstock each year.

• Like 3

I agree.  I was at the Banshee media day as well, and thought that despite the very large crowd; everyone was very well behaved.  My theory has been that the park didn't get as much of a social media boost as they were expecting, and decided to focus media days on the main stream media.  There were some behavior incidents at both of the media events held at Cedar Point in 2014, but I don't know if those really impact Kings Island's decisions or not.  

Both of the ACE-related events this year seemed to happen with little mention beforehand on these forums.  This surprises me because I know that so many folks around here have relationships with Kings Island staffers, not to mention this is probably the only forum where Don would login and post once in a while.

• Like 1

As a member of ACE for the past several years, I enjoy events that are scheduled locally and enjoy the magazines and newsletters reading about other amusement parks around the world. It's a great club to belong to with the great perks of having Kings Island in my backyard. ACE and KI have always enjoyed a great relationship with its members and will continue in the future years to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1