Ideas For Better Thrills!?

I have been recently been brainstorming ideas to make coasters more innovative. I have seen an idea for a self-lubricating wheel system which seems like a good idea ( I don't know about wheel slippage along the track!?). I want to just pick the minds of fellow enthuasists. Feel free to share anything.

A benefit to this layout, besides uniqueness, is that more than one train can be operating at a time. One train can be on the lower-half of the ride heading back to the station while the other can train can be already at the top of the ride about to drop and another can be waiting to go up on the elevator. Consider the second elevator a mid-course break run for this ride. 

I also just thought of this, the second elevator could double as a drop track.

• Like 1

That may be true, but an elevator lift/drop isn't the only way to accomplish that :). I'd also imagine an elevator lift would be slower disengaging from the station, going up to engage with the track at the top (which also isn't an exact thing once it gets there). You'd also have the time of disengaging from the top for the elevator to move back down to then engage with the station track. I just remember riding Pilgrim's Plunge at Holiday World and feeling like it took forever to get to the top and then waiting for the track to engage so we could move forward. 

I then look toward The Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain at Indiana Beach with it's elevator lift and remember stories I've heard of the lift not working so the ride couldn't open (no matter the reasoning for it not working). 

Doing a traditional chain lift and adding a mid-course of sorts before a drop would easily allow for multiple trains on the course.

Although, stellar operations have to be there for that to happen too.  

If you haven't been on the lift of the other Free Fly Coasters, there is definitely a little surprise for those first time riders.

• Like 2

In 1996, a unidentified flying object landed right inside Kings Island's grounds. The government responded and decided to keep it a secret encasing it in a building away from the public's eye. While scientists were tampering with the UFO's exterior, a radioactive slime started to leak out and spread all throughout the area known as "X-Base." The park tried to contain the hazardous material by dumping it in a pit but something unthinkable happened. A steel machine, powered purely on radiation, emerged from the slime and started to take the shape of a roller coaster. The park's trying to keep the situation quiet but you want answers and the only way to find out is to ride.

chemical ride.png

• Like 11

I really like how that theme really ties in with the old (90's Nickelodeon/Green Slime Zone) as well as the new (the new Scare Zone for Haunt, Wasteland).

Also, since we are throwing ideas out there, how about a full-circuit, launched giga (as in, not a launch hill, but a standard launch like Flight of Fear/Top Thrill Dragster) coaster? I don't know that any of those have been done before and it would be really cool if Kings Island got the first one.

EDIT: Also, have you seen this guy's concept for a 4D El Loco coaster? Oh. my. gosh; that would be nuts!

Link: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/4d-el-loco-coaster-concept-patrick-mcgarvey

• Like 4

The story line is brilliant! It would fit perfectly in X-Base and most definitely diversify the coaster lineup of Kings Island. However, realistically I feel we will see a giga before this design. Do you have any numbers on the capacity (PPH)?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2017 at 1:10 PM, SonofBaconator said:

In 1996, a unidentified flying object landed right inside Kings Island's grounds. The government responded and decided to keep it a secret encasing it in a building away from the public's eye. While scientists were tampering with the UFO's exterior, a radioactive slime started to leak out and spread all throughout the area known as "X-Base." The park tried to contain the hazardous material by dumping it in a pit but something unthinkable happened. A steel machine, powered purely on radiation, emerged from the slime and started to take the shape of a roller coaster. The park's trying to keep the situation quiet but you want answers and the only way to find out is to ride.

chemical ride.png

I made a very crude rendering for the possible location for this ride since the story says the slime leaked from Flight of Fear. 

rendering.png

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Following the failure of the local lumber company, the Miami Valley Mining Company was founded in the early 2000s. Hiring back old workers from the Miami Valley Lumber Company, the mining company purchased the only remaining land that was available in Rivertown: an old mining shaft which sat adjacent to the railroad. Tempted with the promise of fortune, the miners ignored the warnings from the locals of Rivertown and entered the old shaft. After the first week, there was a huge explosion causing ceilings to collapse and cover the entrance to the mine. Rescue teams attempted to enter the mine but were blocked. Months went by with no sign of the miners return. Assuming the worst, the town decided to board up the entrance to the mine. However, its said that you can still hear the sounds of sledge hammers and and voices echoing through the caverns of the old mine.

mining co.png

I'm really having fun with this thread, someone should hire me:)

• Like 6

I would like to see an addition to Xbase. That story and coaster would fit rather well.  Wouldn't mind seeing if a giga coaster couldn't somehow be fit in there. I know there's maintenance buildings back there, but maybe it's something that designers can work around.

• Like 1

The Demon (Location: Action Zone between The Bat and Banshee)

Demon final.jpg

The Demon reigned supreme, striking fear in the hearts of many park guests for years. Then in 1979, a force of nature arrived in the form of a Beast who sought to take the land from the Demon's reign. The Demon fought The Beast for eight long years until 1987 when it was defeated and sucked into a Vortex. Knowing that a retaliation was inevitable,  The Beast sent his son to guard the area where the Demon once stood. Retaliation came many years later in 2012 when a creature in the form of a Banshee descended upon the park and killed the Son of Beast with an ear piercing scream. With the Son of Beast gone, the Banshee could finally resurrect her long deceased brother- the Demon. Now bigger and stronger than ever before, the Demon is back with a vengeance. 

• Like 12

6 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

The Demon (Location: Action Zone between The Bat and Banshee)

Demon final.jpg

The Demon reigned supreme, striking fear in the hearts of many park guests for years. Then in 1979, a force of nature arrived in the form of a Beast who sought to take the land from the Demon's reign. The Demon fought The Beast for eight long years until 1987 when it was defeated and sucked into a Vortex. Knowing that a retaliation was inevitable,  The Beast sent his son to guard the area where the Demon once stood. Retaliation came many years later in 2012 when a creature in the form of a Banshee descended upon the park and killed the Son of Beast with an ear piercing scream. With the Son of Beast gone, the Banshee could finally resurrect her long deceased brother- the Demon. Now bigger and stronger than ever before, the Demon is back with a vengeance. 

I can totally see this in a commercial in the same style as the Steel Vengeance commercial.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Arrow said:

so uh

i made a Cedar Point corkscrew redo

i might make a pov video in the future

Capture.PNG

I really like it! I do have to ask, why have a MCBR when you can have the second lift function as one of sorts? Unless, of course, you want more than 2 trains on the circuit at any time.

• Like 2