Jump to content

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, mayaman2 said:

I really like it! I do have to ask, why have a MCBR when you can have the second lift function as one of sorts? Unless, of course, you want more than 2 trains on the circuit at any time.

I intended on putting 3 trains, yet only put 2. Don't know why :wacko:

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

I honestly would love to see it moved to Rivertown.... 1) it'd be better on guests having all water rides in one area...no need to go across the park to go to the next one while in wet clothes 2) It'd open up Action Zone more 2a) would be a great place to move BLSC 3) I feel like it could really refresh the plot of land that the Crypt building sets on.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, chugh43 said:

I honestly would love to see it moved to Rivertown.... 1) it'd be better on guests having all water rides in one area...no need to go across the park to go to the next one while in wet clothes 2) It'd open up Action Zone more 2a) would be a great place to move BLSC 3) I feel like it could really refresh the plot of land that the Crypt building sets on.

http_%2F%2Fi44.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Ff17%2Fcoastercritic97%2FRivertown%20falls_zpsnepkoxqb.png

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

@chugh43 Is it that easy to just move a coaster or a ride? Enthusiasts make it seem that way.

Absolutely....you just attach a thing to the crane and then attach the thing to the ride and walllah! :P

Definitely isn't extremely easy....but picking up rides and moving them can happen, ala Firehawk/Dominator/etc.  I'd say it has to be semi "easy" (relatively) to move flat rides...see Carowinds refreshing their kids area and moving some rides)

Do I think it's a reality for them to move Congo Falls and/or BLSC? No...at least not in the near future.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a ride manufacturer that still makes log flume type rides that Cedar Fair still might work with? A water ride from Hopkins may be a cool replacement. I've always said that they should just flatten the Box o' Fun and put Kenton's Cove back in, but it would be cool to build the ride into the building and make it look like an abandoned mine.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

*Not my video*

 

This would be a good type of coaster for those lower attendance parks that need a good launched ride. Its very similar to a Mr. Freeze style coaster. A drop ride could also be added to the tower structure similar to the "Drop of Doom" rides from Six Flags.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/12/2018 at 7:50 PM, BlondyRidesOn said:

Is there a ride manufacturer that still makes log flume type rides that Cedar Fair still might work with? A water ride from Hopkins may be a cool replacement. I've always said that they should just flatten the Box o' Fun and put Kenton's Cove back in, but it would be cool to build the ride into the building and make it look like an abandoned mine.

Hopkins is still around in the form of Whitewater West.  While they do Shoot the Chutes rides, ala Congo Falls, a Super Flume in Rivertown would bring back that KCKC feel.

An existing example of the Super Flume is Daredevil Falls at Dollywood.  I unfortunately can't see the park adding a new water ride when they have steadily become less popular over the years though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 12:33 AM, Rivertown Rider said:

Hopkins is still around in the form of Whitewater West.  While they do Shoot the Chutes rides, ala Congo Falls, a Super Flume in Rivertown would bring back that KCKC feel.

An existing example of the Super Flume is Daredevil Falls at Dollywood.  I unfortunately can't see the park adding a new water ride when they have steadily become less popular over the years though.

Sorry, I'm new here and I'm not very good with abbreviations. What does KCKC mean?  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Better thrills? Easy. Build a stand-up coaster. Something I found amazing in the 80's on King Cobra, but my kids have never experienced. Back in the day we waited an hour or two to ride it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2020 at 10:02 PM, bjcolglazier said:

Better thrills? Easy. Build a stand-up coaster. Something I found amazing in the 80's on King Cobra, but my kids have never experienced. Back in the day we waited an hour or two to ride it. 

I never got the chance to ride King Cobra or any of the Togo Stand-Up Coasters, but the two B&M stand-ups I've ridden were wildly uncomfortable. Lots of headbanging and nearing the possibility of me not having kids in the future. I've heard King Cobra was much less uncomfotable than the B&M counterparts, but I think the newer coasters have left a bad taste in a lot of peoples' minds and could cause the new additions to not be as popular as it could be.

 

I am intrigued by the possible new B&M Surf coaster and I'm pretty excited to see what that will be.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The later B&M stand ups like Green Lantern are a bit better as they smooth out the transitions.  I found GL to be vastly superior to Mantis due to that small change. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 months later...

I'm about to argue for the addition of a cloned coaster so please bare with me...

Why I KI Should Consider a Sky Rocket II

In 2012 Premier Rides would debut their Sky Rocket II model. This coaster would be cloned eight times with some if its clones having different variations like switch stations, two car variants and three car variants. The current maximum capacity for these coasters are around 750 riders per hour which is theoretically lower than Invertigo's capacity; not a 1st choice for a park that sees over 3 million guests a season. So why am I arguing for something that's capacity is less than a Vekoma boomerang? Let me give a few reasons

  1. They're extremely compact covering just over 13,000 square ft- to put that into perspective you could fit close to four side by side on the Antique Autos plot (super weird but accurate according to my calculations). Basically you can put one anywhere in the park- next to Flight of Fear, where Skyflyer currently sits, next to Diamondback's transfer track, etc. Installing one would require minimal construction in comparison to the massive projects we've received over the past decade. 
  2. They're thrilling. This can be said for any launched coaster but I'd imagine the GP would love something like a Sky Rocket II. The slow inline twist at the top looks intimidating even from an enthusiast's standpoint. 
  3. KI can make it their own. Most of the time the only way you can tell a clone apart is from its name and color scheme. The park has been killing it in the theming department and I think they'd make the ride stand out with a cool name and color scheme. Also, they can made alterations. Premier currently offers a model that has two trains that feature two cars that switch stations allowing for two train operations as well as two cycles. Imagine if they lengthened the ride to accommodate two three car trains to help out with capacity. This is a stretch but they could also turn the non inverting loop into a full loop to add an extra inversion (I don't know how many Gs that would pull though.)

This wouldn't be made out to be our next huge investment, but rather a filler coaster. Is this realistic? Not entirely. The park has been trying to add reliable, higher capacity rides for the past decade so getting something like a Sky Rocket II might be a step backwards. I guess my argument is if a park like Busch Gardens Tampa, who pulls in over 4 million people a year, can get one then why couldn't KI? Some will argue that Cedar Fair isn't interested in working with them at the moment but I think they should always consider them an option.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I rode Tigris at Busch Gardens last summer.  It was my first time on a Sky Rocket 2.  It defiantly made me much more nervous than any coaster has really done to me in a loooong time.  The idea of going thru the slow inline roll at the top with nothing but a lap bar just really creaped me out.  It was much more fun and thrilling than I thought it would be.  I have wondered for a while why Cedar Fair has not installed these (or S&S Free Spins) in their lower tier parks.  I feel like both give you a great thrill and bang for your buck.  I also thought that either of these models would be a great fit for Kentucky Kingdom as well.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2020 at 7:17 AM, goettablitz said:

I also thought that either of these models would be a great fit for Kentucky Kingdom as well.

I could see both honestly.

That's kinda why I wish KI got a Skyrocket II, because that would be a coaster KK couldn't claim.

In a perfect world KI would get both a 4D Freespin and a Skyrocket but I don't think the park wants that many low capacity coasters and I don't blame them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2020 at 9:13 PM, SonofBaconator said:

I could see both honestly.

That's kinda why I wish KI got a Skyrocket II, because that would be a coaster KK couldn't claim.

In a perfect world KI would get both a 4D Freespin and a Skyrocket but I don't think the park wants that many low capacity coasters and I don't blame them.

Clearly KI has been favoring high capacity / highly reliable coasters and I agree with those decisions.  They pull in nearly 3 million visitors a year and need the higher capacity rides.  The Free Spins and Skyrockets were never really designed for a park like Kings Island.  They are very thrilling and unique but just don't have the thru put. 

RMC Raptors are the same way.  RMC even said the Raptors are meant for smaller parks while the T-Rex is for larger parks.  However what I wonder if we may be seeing is the appeal of a T-Rex is not the same as a Raptor.  Both are single rail coasters but the rider in the Raptor is single file, straddles a narrow rail and offers a unique experience.   However the T-Rex seating configuration is not unique.  The track is simply built as a single rail which I don't think most riders would care about.  So instead of building a T-Rex Six Flags Great Adventure is building a larger Raptor.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...