Mystic Timbers named Best New Ride

JubJester

Well deserved. Also, I find it ironic that the relatively small GCI did something that big ol' Diamondback and Banshee both failed to do in 2009 & 2014. (Though I still think Banshee got screwed over since the ride that beat that opened in late 2013, not 2014)

Also for those wondering, Mystic Timbers was 11th overall on the best wood coasters list. I was kinda expecting it to be closer or above Beast, given how most people compare the 2 coasters, but I think Beast had a lot more riders due to being open much longer (35+ more years) and thus more votes (This is one of the big reasons the Golden Ticket awards are not my main go-to for comparing how people view coasters- popular coasters, even if they suck- granted Beast clearly does not to most, will get more votes than a great coaster in the middle of nowhere.). I fully expect, so long as the ride quality does not decrease, Mystic Timbers will rise to a higher overall spot in the 2018 wood coaster results, possibly even passing Beast eventually since it is at the same popular park.

• Like 3

Congratulations to Kings Island and GCI for teaming up and creating a masterpiece of a roller coaster. Now with The Beast and Mystic Timbers next to each other, it's a one two punch in Rivertown. By the way, is there a link from golden tickets to show the complete list of both steel and wooden roller coasters?

• Like 2

^
Here you go, it's in PDF Format and has the top 25 steel and wood coasters all listed.

http://goldenticketawards.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/2017-GTA-Results.pdf

Looking over this, I have more thoughts.

In addition to the best-new-for-2017 and #11 overall Mystic Timbers, Kings Island also had Beast ranked as the #6 wooden coaster...scoring 666 points. So I guess 666 truly is "the number of The Beast", at least this year. Just a ironic coincidence, or something disturbing...? As for my personal taste on Beast vs. Mystic Timbers, it depends. If it is cool & cloudy, or dark (like at night), Beast is better. However, on regular sunny daytime rides, I prefer Mystic Timbers. Mystic Timbers also obliterated everything else on the best new ride poll, getting over 40% of the votes. Then again, 2017 was a "down" year with Mystic Timbers being the closest thing to a major huge new coaster (most of the rest of the rides in 2017 were much smaller). 2018 will probably go to Steel Vengeance.

Diamondback continues to be ranked well in the steel charts, placing 8th. Banshee also made the Top 25 this year at #22, which is made more impressive when you consider the golden tickets seem biased against coasters with inversions on the steel list.

At nearby Holiday World, all 3 woodies once again made top 25: Voyage was ranked 4th, Raven was 23rd, and Legend 24th. I think this may be closest Legend has ever gotten to Raven. I wonder if Legend could possibly even make the upset and pass it one of these years. (My opinion on these 3: Legend over Voyage, then Raven...) Wildebeest and Mammoth were #1 and #2 waterpark ride again, and they were the cleanest and #2 friendliest park again.

Fury 325 won best steel coaster again, but this time it beat Millennium Force by a larger margin. It's looking like it is the new coaster to beat in this category, at least in the golden tickets, and it's doing it in a park that I'd guess is far less popular than Cedar Point overall. Millennium did claim #2, and Superman: The Ride @ SFNE claimed 3rd place. Iron Rattler did well, finishing 4th overall.

El Toro- winner of the last 4 Mitch Hawker polls a few years back before it suddenly stopped- can add a 2nd Golden Ticket to its career resume, further cementing its status as one of the most celebrated wooden coasters in the world right now. Pheonix took 2nd place, and Boulder Dash drops to 3rd- they apparently had a minor accident and only ran 1 train most of the year, and they may have lost the golden ticket award because of that. Also of note: Lightning Rod shoots from outside the top 10 to 5th, likely due to being open a bit more this year and more people riding it. If Dollywood manages to keep it running and open on a consistent basis, it could eventually even take the #1 spot.

Europa Park is pulling away right now as best park, its lead over Cedar Point is growing. The days of Cedar Point winning that award non-stop also seem to be over.

And that's about all I have to comment on for now. :P

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I love Mystic Timbers and frankly it deserves an award as the best new coaster of the year.  It really is that good.  

But I have no idea how it can win an award for best new ride over Flight of Passage.  I can understand how Dollywood got Best shows, but how is Six Flags Fiesta Texas in second?  Only one Disney park is even in the top five for best shows?

• Like 2

Mystic Timbers is the best new ride for this year.  Congratulations. Having said that I always think that GTA is nothing but a popularity contest.

Fury 325 beating Millennium Force (or is it Forceless) does some justice. Superman being so close all these years also showed me how much superior Superman or Bizarro was. Even Cedar Point employees were celebrating Fury beat out MF last year. That says a lot.

Then again, how did Lightning Rod beat out Storm Chaser when Lightning Rod barely operated last year? GTA really does not have much credibility when things like this happens. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

You know, now you mention it, I remember someone at the park (I apologize I literally forget who, I'm not trying to skirt the board rules) mentioning that in the last few hours before Winterfest began they started focusing on making things look clean rather than necessarily finishing everything that was planned, kind of shoving some stuff aside to be completed later. 

So maybe there really were/are plans for Christmas lights on Mystic Timbers, and that wasn't just artistic license on the park map. 

• Like 5