2018 Construction in Coney Mall

jdf21972

Everything I've heard about the leveling of the store and potato Works says it's going to be a new restaurant. There isn't any sit down restaurants in the Coney mall area and the restaurants that are there arent always open anyways.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Well, this is certainly interesting. The main connection I have to the area (other than passing those two locations to get to Flight of Fear, Firehawk and Vortex) is that Coney Potato Works was my first location when I worked in Foods (which, along with St. Funnel, were the settings for my first job), but I won't miss it that much. :P Also, Attitudes was cool (which, oddly enough, I may miss that more than the building formally known as "It's Fried" and Midway Treats and Eats), but I'm pretty sure the merch can be relocated elsewhere. Now that everything is blocked off, it makes me think it could be something bigger than a restaurant, like, perhaps a flat ride or two*?

*Then again, it could be Smokehouse 2: Electric Boogaloo.

EDIT: I am awaiting what will be done with this space; only time will tell...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

:( Before I read PhantomTheater's post, I was just going to say, well, at least I can still go to the one at CP. Oh well. I guess the reason I enjoyed our Additudes so much is that (the shop itself) is from at least the 90's as it was known as "The Rock Shop" back then. Source: https://web.archive.org/web/19970129112015/http://www.pki.com:80/cgi-bin/parkpages/coney/ConShop/ConShpRock.pl

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Mystic.Timber1 said:

No this is not for a ride its for a dry park smoke house. I have a friend who worked in attitudes but now got moved to another store and they told her why she got moved...for a smoke house, she is reliable because she was a supervisor of attitudes.

Your friend may be correct and credible, but until we hear officially we can not state for certain that it is a smokehouse. 

Plus, isn't not fun to daydream about what we would put there and hear others ideas? That is half the fun here on KIC!

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Your friend may be correct and credible, but until we hear officially we can not state for certain that it is a smokehouse. 

Plus, isn't not fun to daydream about what we would put there and hear others ideas? That is half the fun here on KIC!

I totally agree with you. I hope she is wrong and until we get an announcement, which I have no idea when that will be, we cant be certain. I really really hope they add more then a restaurant 2018. But 2018 will be small no matter what. But that just means they are saving up for something big!  

• Like 2

I would side with it being credible.  The smokehouse is too good of a concept to be only at the water park side and there isn't really any other location for a new food option on the dry side.  Kings Island is long overdue for a high capacity sit-in eating location.  AND... I don't think that a new eatery would be top-secret, hush-hush news.  

Wonder if they'll come across any old Dodgem or Tea Cup relics during the demolition.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Dwight_Schrute said:

I would side with it being credible.  The smokehouse is too good of a concept to be only at the water park side and there isn't really any other location for a new food option on the dry side.  Kings Island is long overdue for a high capacity sit-in eating location.  AND... I don't think that a new eatery would be top-secret, hush-hush news.  

Wonder if they'll come across any old Dodgem or Tea Cup relics during the demolition.

I completely agree with you, but why wait so long to announce it? 

• Like 3

I think they didn't want to do the announcement the same day as everyone else because the vast majority of local enthusiast and media interest was collected up north around what was known to be a big announcement.

Why they haven't done it between then and now, tho...? It makes me think part of what is going on may be either Haunt or Winterfest relevant. 

I would expect that the restaurant (I think it is safe to say at this point that is at least part of what is going on) would be able to be opened up by the end of Haunt, Winterfest at the latest. Maybe nothing is coming for 2018 other than general park improvements, and there won't be an announcement at all? I'd be cool with that. 

• Like 4

Maybe they want to hold off the announcement until Winterfest to help promote the event and get people out there.  It is much later than normal announcements but they have no idea how this event will go and they will probably do anything they can to get people in the door.

• Like 5

when did they announce the Soak City Smokehouse?  

Many other parks are announcing new rides, coasters, etc...  KI has already announced Winterfest...  A new restaurant isn't going to cause a bump in Season Pass Sales and no news outlet is going to pick up that story.  I could see a small ride... but if you build another eat in area... it's not as big as you may think.  And as far as a new set of Antique Cars... dream another dream- I think that one's over.  Find another ship... that one has sailed.  

I don't claim to know anything about what's going on there.  I'm content to wait until April to see it- and until May when the line goes down.  I just don't see any practicality in opening a new "car" ride.

• Like 5

On 9/11/2017 at 7:55 PM, MDMC01 said:

*Then again, it could be Smokehouse 2: Electric Boogaloo.

EDIT: I am awaiting what will be done with this space; only time will tell...

Not many here would get your reference of Electric Boogaloo, but that really made me laugh. Whenever I see a sequel to a movie, I always add that in to the title. 

Now, on topic, it's interesting to say the least. I hope it is a sit down restaurant as my old butt needs a nice place to be seated while eating. :lol:

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Dwight_Schrute said:

when did they announce the Soak City Smokehouse?  

Many other parks are announcing new rides, coasters, etc...  KI has already announced Winterfest...  A new restaurant isn't going to cause a bump in Season Pass Sales and no news outlet is going to pick up that story.  I could see a small ride... but if you build another eat in area... it's not as big as you may think.  And as far as a new set of Antique Cars... dream another dream- I think that one's over.  Find another ship... that one has sailed.  

I don't claim to know anything about what's going on there.  I'm content to wait until April to see it- and until May when the line goes down.  I just don't see any practicality in opening a new "car" ride.

I was actually just thinking this same thing.  Especially with Kentucky Kingdom and Holiday World being somewhat close, maybe they are concerned about losing season pass sales from people close to those markets by only announcing a new restaurant.

• Like 2