2018 Construction in Coney Mall

jdf21972

We were told at the Keys to the Kingdom tour in March that Kentucky Kingdom's height restrictions vary depending on how close to the airport and flight line they are, but the highest height restriction anywhere in the park is 200 feet. The areas with the lowest height limits in the southwest corner of the property are used for maintenance buildings and such. I believe I was told it was 75 feet back in that area (behind T3), which is very close to a runway approach.

• Like 3

^Which is woefully under capacity for a large park like Kings Island.  

Xdog42 was saying that CW and CGA deserve a coaster before Kings Island can get one. He even said that he sees the two getting one in 2019, but I corrected him by telling him that CGA is already getting one next year. I know a RailBlazer type coaster wouldn't be good for the park due to capacity.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, silver2005 said:

KK can't get a hyper coaster.  They can't build even close to 200 ft. and that line where they can build high is already packed with rides. 

Actually they can. They are a few spots in the park, like where the Enterprise is located that they can build up to 200 ft. Also they can always dig down to make the drop longer. The Enterprise is also leaving, so I think that's a sign of KK future investment. But it's always subject to change.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Rivertown Rider said:

^ I agree that it looks like they are going to re-use part of the gutted Attitudes building.  They were too careful with the duct work if they planned on just demolishing the whole building.

But they weren’t careful. It’s cheaper to tear down and rebuild than to retrofit.

• Like 2

Looking at the list of restaurants for Winterfest.  I noticed something which I have a hard time placing in the park, the Kings Island Holiday Buffet.  At first I was thinking Red Hall of Fame Grille?  Except I notice that is also listed as a dining location.  The description states "Enjoy a holiday dinner featuring sliced turkey and ham, classic seasonal sides and some of Santa's favorite classic holiday deserts. Traditional holiday buffet with three carving stations. Wine and Beer service available.".

For a while now I have been wondering why turn Attitudes into a restaurant and still need to expand the location by using the Coney Potato Works.  This is a massive amount of space for a restaurant unless it is something special.  I no longer think it is just a smokehouse, and while it might serve smoked meats it looks like we are looking at a buffet.  I think total this is still larger than Midway Market at Cedar Point.  I wonder if we will see an upcharge like at Cedar Point.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I would happily pay the upcharge as well. The desserts alone make it worth it.
I'm starting to lean towards them just tearing down the Attitudes building and rebuilding from scratch. 
I've only eaten at the Midway Market once. Nice presentation but the food was cold. Had a similar experience at Island Smokehouse with the corn pudding. But that is why the meal plan is so great, you can experiment and not feel like you get ripped off. Even with the cold meats at MM, it was worth the up charge.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I looked thru the small holes/gaps in the fence yesterday and the building has been completed gutted with the exception of a couple areas closer to the Scrambler.  It is amazing the progress they have made in a week.  Hopefully we will get an announcement soon on if they are completely tearing it down or just adding on to the building.

• Like 2

I think it looks like one hole, although it may be debris on top. It certainly looks like it goes into the roof in that pic, though. I think what looks like cracks, though, is decayed leaves and other dirt collecting along intentional triangles built into the edges of the structure (you can also see them along the other side of the roof, but less dirt is collected there). 

I've been wondering if they are actually planning to use the part of the structure (mostly roof) that still remains, or if they're just leaving it there to block view of the construction from above. 

• Like 3

Since I have the original I zoomed in on it, and it looks like a hole to me in the roof. I wonder if it got damaged or they are taking it down to just the support beams to rebuild?

So that was Oct. 1 and I just noticed that all the trees are still quite green.

• Like 2

^ I think it is just some loose debris.  If you look at the ground that’s next to the roof there is a shadow to the left.  In the picture the hole or debris is lit up.  From the angle the photo was taken there would have to be a shadow in that spot if it were a hole and not lit up like it is.

• Like 2

On 9/26/2017 at 9:47 AM, Magenta Lizard said:

If the buffet is an up-charge, it's one I would be eager to pay, assuming that is the same smoked turkey from the Soak City smokehouse! 

I've got my fingers crossed for it to be located in the International Restaurant, although I have heard there are no plans for it to be used. I can dream!

2 bucks for 5 pounds of turkey and a nap!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They may very well be using the structure, or at least part of it.  If you're demolishing a building you're not necessarily looking to "gut" it- you're just going to start at one end and go until its on the ground.  Not being in construction/demolition myself- I could be very wrong.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Outdoor Man said:

They may very well be using the structure, or at least part of it.  If you're demolishing a building you're not necessarily looking to "gut" it- you're just going to start at one end and go until its on the ground.  Not being in construction/demolition myself- I could be very wrong.

They gut the buildings to get any of the valuable scrap out a lot of the time, it depends on if the value is worth the work to get it out but when you don't care what condition something is in when you take it apart it can be done rather quickly.. Also sometimes hazmat stuff needs to be removed (old insulation, light bulbs, lead paint etc.)

• Like 4