2018 Construction in Coney Mall

jdf21972

3 hours ago, Oldschool75 said:

I’m not going into specifics. Just stay tuned :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disney Springs is a braced structure that’s indeterminate, so when it’s getting demolished, it’s going to remain standing, even with a good chunk of the building gone.. The structure for Attitudes has no bracing, or rigidity, therefore a determinate structure. so if the structure had even a single column removed, it would fall in that direction.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gforce1994 said:

Disney Springs is a braced structure that’s indeterminate, so when it’s getting demolished, it’s going to remain standing, even with a good chunk of the building gone.. The structure for Attitudes has no bracing, or rigidity, therefore a determinate structure. so if the structure had even a single column removed, it would fall in that direction.

Also, my assumption is that even if Disney Quest and the Attitudes building are the same age, Disney Quest is much larger in size comparison and doing what KI has done at that size would probably take months just for demolition (I live in Central Florida for majority of the year.) Plus, Disney has a lot more money in comparison to Kings Island and even Cedar Fair. With building codes in Florida they have to spend more money on making sure that a Category 1 hurricane doesn't destroy everything, and I'm sure Disney is willing to comply.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Cmhornblessed said:

No doubt that is so, does anyone know those reasons?

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Doubtful we'll ever know since the policy of this board is pretty much that it has to be a press release or official statement to be posted. So those who actually know either won't tell or are afraid to. The asbestos theory is a possibility. That would change how they have to take it down. Nothing else that I can come up with makes financial sense. 

• Like 1

I need to read the speculation of things when something major hit like Banshee. Speculation is awesome, but it’s quite comical in so many ways even with something as minor as this building removal and no real announcement. 

If I owned an amusement park, I would have people do random things just to make people speculate then read what they come up with. It would be funny to me. Randomly place markers with colored tags just for giggles. 

I am not one that has experience with construction, but to me it looks like removal would be a process, not just destroying the building and hauling it away.

With having really nice weather it looks like they could use it to do other things pertaining to Winterfest because from the changes in the park, there’s still a lot they need to do. If they have the amount of lights they say they will have, it really looks like they are no where close to having that completed. 

I am guessing any construction crew they have in would probably not be involved in the prep for Winterfest, but they may be in the way to get that accomplished.

I need to read over this thread, but if they build something wouldn’t they need a permit? I mean in all reality it looks like something would have to be submitted. I can’t imagine a park like Kings Island not having to get one like any other business. 

• Like 3

On 10/20/2017 at 11:36 AM, Magenta Lizard said:

I'm curious to see the state of things in Coney Mall tonight after they've had another week to work. 

I'm betting on the steel framing still being there because I expect they want to reuse it if possible for the presumed new restaurant.

I have been following what you post about this and was shocked you weren’t right. You actually sound like you know what you are talking about. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fryoj said:

Doubtful we'll ever know since the policy of this board is pretty much that it has to be a press release or official statement to be posted. So those who actually know either won't tell or are afraid to. The asbestos theory is a possibility. That would change how they have to take it down. Nothing else that I can come up with makes financial sense. 

The reason for that rule is that the admins and mods want to remain in good standing with the park, and also because KI prohibits employees from disclosing information that hasn't already been made public. It's easier to just deny all non public information than to pick and choose what's acceptable.

• Like 5

Is it out of the realm of possibility to put the Smokehouse where Hanks is? We used to love eating at Hanks until the last two or three seasons. I couldn’t begin to consider eating there this year after the grossness the last few times we had eaten there. It wouldn’t upset me at all to go that route.  

• Like 5

ie - "I know something you don't know. hahaha"

No, it’s the fact that some things are not allowed to be discussed. I will neither confirm or deny anything that I may or may not have privy to. I value my relationship with the park. If or when there is anything to announce they will. My input on this topic is finished. :)

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Oldiesmann said:

The reason for that rule is that the admins and mods want to remain in good standing with the park, and also because KI prohibits employees from disclosing information that hasn't already been made public. It's easier to just deny all non public information than to pick and choose what's acceptable.

I'm well aware of why the rule is in place. The people who make the rules get perks and some of those perks get passed on to some members. It's silly to me that this edict has been passed on from the park, but, obviously, since I still post here, I abide by those rules. 

3 hours ago, Oldschool75 said:

No, it’s the fact that some things are not allowed to be discussed. I will neither confirm or deny anything that I may or may not have privy to. I value my relationship with the park. If or when there is anything to announce they will. My input on this topic is finished. :)

Then why sit there and keep saying that you know and aren't going to tell? By saying that you know something and won't tell, you don't gain credibility, you just come off as braggy and people question whether you really know anything. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, fryoj said:

Then why sit there and keep saying that you know and aren't going to tell? By saying that you know something and won't tell, you don't gain credibility, you just come off as braggy and people question whether you really know anything. 

Yeah, this is precisely why I don't miss Terpy whatsoever on this forum.  If you're so ingrained in park operations or know things you cannot share, you probably shouldn't be here.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, fryoj said:

I’m sorry, unless my mind is slipping in my old age. I don’t recall saying I knew what, if, or what could be occupying that spot in question. I did say there are some who do know.

Those who have been on this forum for a while know my word is good. I don’t feel I need to prove myself.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, fryoj said:

I'm well aware of why the rule is in place. The people who make the rules get perks and some of those perks get passed on to some members. It's silly to me that this edict has been passed on from the park, but, obviously, since I still post here, I abide by those rules. 

To be honest, knowing the moderators pretty well, they don't really get any perks. Any perks they get pretty much are they get to do interviews with park officials, media day (dependent on how the event is ran) and they may get invited to the announcements for new attractions. 

A wise member who is missed dearly used to say something to the affect: those who know don't say anything, those who don't know say anything or say something to allude to the fact that they know something, which 99% of the time, they don't.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Ellie said:

I have been following what you post about this and was shocked you weren’t right. You actually sound like you know what you are talking about. 

I definitely don't know anything for sure, I make educated guesses from my own observations (and I get to go to the park a lot, so I can often observe things first-hand).

I've pretty much stopped asking the contacts I have who might be able to tell me (off the record) about things that are happening in the park, because I would much rather participate in the speculation than have inside info I wouldn't be able to share anyway. I have zero interest in teasing others with some suggestion I might know something but won't tell.

Observationally, today, I saw that in the increasingly bare area behind the fence there is an orderly pile of steel that appears to be what was left of the roof and support structure, next to what looked to me to be some sort of large pump or valve that may have been part of the fire suppression system (I believe it was painted red in part which was what gave me that idea, but I forgot to take pictures, like a dummy), a dumpster, and a backhoe. A friend who was also looking pointed out they have also been tearing up some of the concrete, but in straight lines, and he speculated it was to put in plumbing.

• Like 8

Whatever the case, I like that they are working there way around the park (Action Zone, Planet Snoopy, Water Park / Smokehouse, Rivertown).  I dont spend a lot of time in Coney, so whatever new / updated comes out, I will have to check it out.

It is always a good thing when they keep investing in the park.

• Like 7

21 hours ago, Oldschool75 said:

I’m sorry, unless my mind is slipping in my old age. I don’t recall saying I knew what, if, or what could be occupying that spot in question. I did say there are some who do know.

Those who have been on this forum for a while know my word is good. I don’t feel I need to prove myself.

No, you just danced around like you knew why they tore the building down like they did. Honestly, I don't care if you actually know anything, nor do I think most of the other people on the board. Like the other poster said, it was annoying when Terpy played the "I know things" game, and I am certain that he had more inside knowledge than you do. For you to play that game is just self serving and adds nothing to the board. 

• Like 2

This site is here to enjoy our favorite park and other info about the park industry. There is a wealth of knowledge between all of us. Even if that is a new member that is excited to tell us about their last visit. What we don't need is do is get upset about who knows more and who is (hiding) information. These is a simple solution if you don't like what or how someone posted their information.

• Send them a personal message and tell them how you think their post came off on the boards. (It may not have been intentionally written that way. It is hard to express what you are trying to say sometimes.)
  • If you don't feel comfortable doing that, use the Report button, and in your report tell the mods why you reported it. Then we can talk to that person about rewording it or whatever action we feel is appropriate.

We want you to share your opinions and share your passion about the park. We can do that in a civilized way without taking things personal. If you feel that something has gone too far please use the tools I mentioned above.

I would also like to address the comment about the admins getting perks. Whatever perk you think we get you are probably wrong. We are spending hours a week reading every single post that is made. We are working in the background to making sure the site is up and running efficiently.  We spend time posting to Twitter, FB, Instagram using pictures we personally took at the park. The Blood Drums Interview I did was canceled due to rain the first time it was scheduled.  I had already driven to the park when cancelled. I went back the following week to do the interview. That was 8 hrs of driving and my gas money for me to bring you that interview. I do this without hesitation for I love doing it and bringing you the information.

We are just like any other news media in the park. If the news media comes in and wants to do a spot on MT they are not allowed to just roam the park and ride whatever when done (unless they have their personal season pass they purchased.)  We do not know any more about what is going on in Coney Mall than any of you. The park does not call us up and whisper info into our ear about their 5 year plans. Yes, we occasionally talk to Don, but he is good at his job. He is not going to share with us info that he is not allowed to just because we are KIC admin.  The only thing KIC admins will get as a "perk" would be an invite to a media event that is a once or maybe twice a year event. I hope this gives you a better understanding of what we do and the "perks" that come with it.

• Like 13

There are individuals who are on this site that likely do have good enough contacts to find out exactly what is going on.  Chances are someone who has read this thread knows.

But the people with that information are being trusted that they will not discuss it publicly.  The quickest way to lose that trust is to post it online.  If you are an employee you can be fired, if your friends with an employee you can get that person fired or at least lose a friend.  What I have known about other projects in the past was told to me in confidence that I would not discuss the topic before any announcement.  I have been able to keep those contacts by not joining discussions when I do know something.

The fact is I know almost nothing about this project, I have heard some rumors, all of which say it will be a restaurant and just about all of them seem to agree it is a smokehouse.  But all of that was just some discussions with friends about what they have heard.  Which is why I have no problems discussing this topic and speculating.  At this point I do not put enough faith in the rumors to rule out a ride.

The enthusiast community is very good at taking speculation and turning it into rumors.  Those "rumors" lead to more speculation which just drives more rumors.  The problem is sometimes none of it was ever based on any solid information, maybe there was some truth at some point but sometimes it is lost in the noise.  With this project we are just not far enough along to know for certain what is true, what is a leak, and what is speculation.  At this time I would treat nothing posted in this thread as anything more than rumor or speculation.

• Like 6

There are individuals who are on this site that likely do have good enough contacts to find out exactly what is going on.  Chances are someone who has read this thread knows.
But the people with that information are being trusted that they will not discuss it publicly.  The quickest way to lose that trust is to post it online.  If you are an employee you can be fired, if your friends with an employee you can get that person fired or at least lose a friend.  What I have known about other projects in the past was told to me in confidence that I would not discuss the topic before any announcement.  I have been able to keep those contacts by not joining discussions when I do know something.
The fact is I know almost nothing about this project, I have heard some rumors, all of which say it will be a restaurant and just about all of them seem to agree it is a smokehouse.  But all of that was just some discussions with friends about what they have heard.  Which is why I have no problems discussing this topic and speculating.  At this point I do not put enough faith in the rumors to rule out a ride.
The enthusiast community is very good at taking speculation and turning it into rumors.  Those "rumors" lead to more speculation which just drives more rumors.  The problem is sometimes none of it was ever based on any solid information, maybe there was some truth at some point but sometimes it is lost in the noise.  With this project we are just not far enough along to know for certain what is true, what is a leak, and what is speculation.  At this time I would treat nothing posted in this thread as anything more than rumor or speculation.
It is way more fun this way also, not knowing I mean. If they had announced a restaurant with the rest of the CF announcements it would have not generated this much buzz!

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

• Like 5