2018 Construction in Coney Mall

jdf21972

I’m not trying to turn this topic into a dumpster fire, BUT, I’m honestly shocked NOBODY else realizes there’s markers on the site, and it’s not the surveying markers one would typically associate with construction of a one story frame structure.
How so????

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cmhornblessed said:

It is way more fun this way also, not knowing I mean. If they had announced a restaurant with the rest of the CF announcements it would have not generated this much buzz!

Unless they build a shed on the site.  LOL

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cmhornblessed said:

How so????

The markers were for electric and alarm lines. They weren’t for gas utilities, the thing you would expect for a Smokehouse. The markers are indicating a construction site of 140 by 40 feet.

• Like 2

If anything we need to look at CF as a whole. Therefore, if you look at this year’s additions throughout the chain, there’s an addition that is really “out there” in terms of CF additions, and that is Delirious at Valleyfair.671AF74E-ABA9-4CFE-A101-51BBD78E7843.jpeg

Why is this such an odd acquisition? Because the if CF were to install many at once (like they did with their Flyers, WindSeekers, Disko Coasters), they would. The fact that they haven’t leads me to conclude that CF is trying to test both versions (SuperLoop/Skywarp) out. The footprint of a Skywarp fits the construction footprint exactly, and it would make sense given CF recent trend into installing SuperLoops. I’ve been on the Skywarp bandwagon for a while, but it makes sense. Back in 2009, CF had the option of installing WindSeekers from Mondial, or Star Flyers from Funtime. Since the rides were built, CF has started to build Star Flyers (North Star/Valleyfair). It would make sense for them to test he capacity, reliability, and costs at a small and large park.

And then there’s the elephant in the room, the Huss Breakdance. When CF went on their overseas spending spree, one of the rides brought back was a Huss Breakdance. Since the initial news about the purchase, nothing more has been heard on that ride. Is it being installed, or are they having Huss build a new one? If anything the lack of news is making it seem like that the Breakdance won’t see the light of day at the park.

And in regards to a restaurant going in, rumors were indicating that this would be similar to the Island Smokehouse. The Smokehouse at SC has an area of 2400 sq ft, while the area contained within the perimeter set up by the Markers is 5600 sq ft. If KI is building another indoor eatery, why are they doing it within 300 feet of the largest indoor eatery of the park? Second, none of the markers on site were for gas related utilities, which indicates that this is not a restaraunt. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I don't think we can rule something out over some markers. I personally want to keep all options open until we hear more.

Survey Markers are color coded. It’s done so that the general layout of the site is understood by PMs. They include electrical/signal lines (which were confirmed to be seen on sight. However the lack of yellow coded survey markers rule out a restaurant since those markers would be the first placed during the survey process.2A9B0B98-5DAB-4FFD-AE1D-7FAB1D0F6302.jpeg 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

This site is here to enjoy our favorite park and other info about the park industry. There is a wealth of knowledge between all of us. Even if that is a new member that is excited to tell us about their last visit. What we don't need is do is get upset about who knows more and who is (hiding) information. These is a simple solution if you don't like what or how someone posted their information.

• Send them a personal message and tell them how you think their post came off on the boards. (It may not have been intentionally written that way. It is hard to express what you are trying to say sometimes.)
  • If you don't feel comfortable doing that, use the Report button, and in your report tell the mods why you reported it. Then we can talk to that person about rewording it or whatever action we feel is appropriate.

We want you to share your opinions and share your passion about the park. We can do that in a civilized way without taking things personal. If you feel that something has gone too far please use the tools I mentioned above.

I would also like to address the comment about the admins getting perks. Whatever perk you think we get you are probably wrong. We are spending hours a week reading every single post that is made. We are working in the background to making sure the site is up and running efficiently.  We spend time posting to Twitter, FB, Instagram using pictures we personally took at the park. The Blood Drums Interview I did was canceled due to rain the first time it was scheduled.  I had already driven to the park when cancelled. I went back the following week to do the interview. That was 8 hrs of driving and my gas money for me to bring you that interview. I do this without hesitation for I love doing it and bringing you the information.

We are just like any other news media in the park. If the news media comes in and wants to do a spot on MT they are not allowed to just roam the park and ride whatever when done (unless they have their personal season pass they purchased.)  We do not know any more about what is going on in Coney Mall than any of you. The park does not call us up and whisper info into our ear about their 5 year plans. Yes, we occasionally talk to Don, but he is good at his job. He is not going to share with us info that he is not allowed to just because we are KIC admin.  The only thing KIC admins will get as a "perk" would be an invite to a media event that is a once or maybe twice a year event. I hope this gives you a better understanding of what we do and the "perks" that come with it.

First, I would like to confirm that as an Admin, I believe that you in fact messaged me to let me know that the name of a topic I had posted was changed. It was called Crisis Avoided. It was changed to have a more positive sound and feel to it. In retrospect, I didn't really consider whether my topic subject sounded alarming. It actually did, so I am glad that it was changed. It was more about the wonderful job that the KI office staff did to help avoid said crisis. 

As far as Terpy, I think people are being a bit harsh. Yeah, he seemed to have some knowledge that others did not. However, I never felt that at any point was he bragging about said knowledge or trying to hold it over anyone's head as a matter of ha ha, I know and you don't. Obviously, he had a relationship that he did not want to put in jeopardy, nor should he have been asked to.  I never met him personally, but always wanted to as we have pm'd each other and he was or is from my area. And from those messages, I can tell you that I have never met anyone who cared about someone he had never met than him. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

Why is this such an odd acquisition? Because the if CF were to install many at once (like they did with their Flyers, WindSeekers, Disko Coasters), they would. The fact that they haven’t leads me to conclude that CF is trying to test both versions (SuperLoop/Skywarp) out. The footprint of a Skywarp fits the construction footprint exactly, and it would make sense given CF recent trend into installing SuperLoops. I’ve been on the Skywarp bandwagon for a while, but it makes sense. Back in 2009, CF had the option of installing WindSeekers from Mondial, or Star Flyers from Funtime. Since the rides were built, CF has started to build Star Flyers (North Star/Valleyfair). It would make sense for them to test he capacity, reliability, and costs at a small and large park.

There is a third style at least in concept.  The S&S Twisted Looper.  Think a giant loop with a wing rider train plus the track has a twist on the way up and back down so it is basically a non-inverting loop.  Last year this was shown off as a concept video and some advertising but I could see it being ready by now.  I actually thought it looked like a good idea.

Not sure how likely I consider it but I think it would be a fantastic fit for the space.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Kenban said:

There is a third style at least in concept.  The S&S Twisted Looper.  Think a giant loop with a wing rider train plus the track has a twist on the way up and back down so it is basically a non-inverting loop.  Last year this was shown off as a concept video and some advertising but I could see it being ready by now.  I actually thought it looked like a good idea.

Not sure how likely I consider it but I think it would be a fantastic fit for the space.

Valid point. However, I think the market will be between Skyline and Larson.

• Like 1

By doing a quick property search on the Warren County website:

http://www.co.warren.oh.us/property_search/summary.aspx?account_nbr=1202233

you can find some mention of what I assume to be permit fees for a few items under the memos tab.  The ones in particular that seems interesting are "Harbor House Foundation", "Harbor House Shell", "Sprinklers-Harbor House".  Could this be a similar restaurant to the Harbor House at Carowinds?  The only thing that is a bit puzzling is that the name seems better fit for an installation in the water park.  Regardless, it sounds like a place that would be serving up seafood.  Thoughts?

• Like 6

^ Those memos refer to changes in the property's value from newly constructed (or deconstructed) buildings. They're careful not to mention by name projects that have yet to be announced.

The 'Harbor House' mentioned there is the existing Island Smokehouse, which is similar in design to the Carolina Harbor restaurant.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, malem said:

^ Those memos refer to changes in the property's value from newly constructed (or deconstructed) buildings. They're careful not to mention by name projects that have yet to be announced.

The 'Harbor House' mentioned there is the existing Island Smokehouse, which is similar in design to the Carolina Harbor restaurant.

That makes sense. I should have put 2 and 2 together...I was starting to wonder if they used the same design for permitting and construction purposes across different parks.  It seems like a cost effective way to give parks new installations and probably helps expedite the projects overall.  It's cool that the parks put their individual spin on them such as theme and food selection. 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, ruffbn said:

That makes sense. I should have put 2 and 2 together...I was starting to wonder if they used the same design for permitting and construction purposes across different parks.  It seems like a cost effective way to give parks new installations and probably helps expedite the projects overall.  It's cool that the parks put their individual spin on them such as theme and food selection. 

The comparable one at CGA had an amazing Po Boy’s Shrimp Sandwhich. It’s economically viable for each of the parks, and it allows them to easily change the menu if needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kenban said:

This is what I'd like to see installed if we are not getting a restaurant. I think this is the closest KI will get to a wing rider, at least for awhile. Thunderbird & GateKeeper are not that far away. So I think this would make sense.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

Survey Markers are color coded. It’s done so that the general layout of the site is understood by PMs. They include electrical/signal lines (which were confirmed to be seen on sight. However the lack of yellow coded survey markers rule out a restaurant since those markers would be the first placed during the survey process.2A9B0B98-5DAB-4FFD-AE1D-7FAB1D0F6302.jpeg 

Didn’t you at one point claim that there were gas lines being placed over the summer from Tower Gardens to this area? 

Even if if there aren’t gas lines, there are ways to have a kitchen without gas lines. Aka electric. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, chugh43 said:

Didn’t you at one point claim that there were gas lines being placed over the summer from Tower Gardens to this area? 

Even if if there aren’t gas lines, there are ways to have a kitchen without gas lines. Aka electric. 

While I agree in principle, it is difficult to do a smokehouse in a theme park without gas. 

• Like 3

Question for those more familiar with construction procedures: Would these survey markers be marking what's already in the ground (to prevent excavation crews from hitting it), or what's being planned to put in the ground? If the former (which is what I would think), then the lack of gas line markers makes sense, since Attitudes, as a retail shop, would have had no use for gas, and Coney Potato Works dealt in fried food, and deep fryers are (I assume) operated by electricity. The orange markers may simply be showing where the phone lines are that connected the phones in Attitudes and Coney PW. (Can anybody mentally map the markers to the Attitudes and CPW sales counters to confirm?) It's very possible in that case that they may simply be getting ready to install gas lines, if this is indeed a smokehouse.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jcgoble3 said:

Question for those more familiar with construction procedures: Would these survey markers be marking what's already in the ground (to prevent excavation crews from hitting it), or what's being planned to put in the ground? If the former (which is what I would think), then the lack of gas line markers makes sense, since Attitudes, as a retail shop, would have had no use for gas, and Coney Potato Works dealt in fried food, and deep fryers are (I assume) operated by electricity. The orange markers may simply be showing where the phone lines are that connected the phones in Attitudes and Coney PW. (Can anybody mentally map the markers to the Attitudes and CPW sales counters to confirm?) It's very possible in that case that they may simply be getting ready to install gas lines, if this is indeed a smokehouse.

The survey markers ran from the front of Coney Potato Works, to the front of attitudes, and then back 40 feet.  The lines being laid in TG were separate, and they might as well be part of the cooling system for the ice skating rink.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jcgoble3 said:

It would be for what is planned for the ground. Usually if there’s a construction site with utilities, it is capped or the line is detoured.

• Like 3

Google Earth has the mostly completed Smokehouse from April of this year (the majority of the shell is there).  The building itself is about 145 ft wide.  The length varies from just above 40 ft in the narrowest spot to about 116 ft at the deepest spot.  According to my rough calculations adding everything up it is actually just shy of 11,000 square foot.  About 7,000 square foot of that is the indoor area including the kitchen (100 foot wide X 70 feet length). 

If the area of this new markers is 140 foot wide and 50 feet length that gets you to the 7,000 square footage.  140 foot from the edge of the fence by Scrambler takes you just shy of the half building mark of Potato Works.  That still leaves you another 30 feet width to put seating.  

The interesting part is if it is only 40-50 feet deep that gives you about 65-75 feet behind the presumed Coney Smokehouse building and the Tower Gardens area which would give room for either a small flat or perhaps the Antiques.  That is probably a stretch but it is something to think about.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jcgoble3 said:

It can be either way, but, typically, before doing any digging, you have any underground utilities marked with paint or flags. 

They make both electric and gas fryers, so theres no real way to know which they used without direct knowledge. 

• Like 3

In my opinion the presence of a gas line or lack there of may not be a reliable predictor of a smokehouse restaurant.  It is very likely the pork and brisket are the only things actually cooked in the smokers as the chicken and shrimp are fried and likely smoked with minimal heat for a relatively short period of time probably no longer than an hour.

The existing SC Smokehouse may have all they capacity they need as those unit(s) they have are huge. They very well could load the food in large Cambros and transfer it with a service truck once or twice a day. 

Pork and brisket can be held at safe temperatures for long periods of time without loss of quality or refridgerated and reheated with minimal loss.  

• Like 5