2018 Construction in Coney Mall

jdf21972

By reading through this thread, it appears some "bets" were lost and some people are eating crow LOL for calling out people (and in a few isolated cases kinda rudely) that were saying the entire building would be coming down...I am sure the appropriate apologies were provided via PM :P

That's what can make the internet so frustrating when people make adamant claims like they are an expert on a subject and then "bully" people that don't agree with their opinion.  What we had here is people not involved with construction or demolition making claims the building is being gutted to be re-purposed and shooting down those that said no the building is coming down entirely.  There is a difference between speculating and acting like you know based on limited information.

Now that it is gone we have seen that just because a building wasn't hit with the wrecking ball doesn't mean it isn't coming down entirely.  Just because it wasn't razed in a few days didn't mean it wasn't disappearing.  In many cases, it is cheaper to demo and re-build than it is to retrofit - look at all the UDFs and KFCs being torn down and rebuilt on same site.  In the big scheme of things, this was a small demolition project.  Many factors come into consideration, among things budget and schedule, in addition to environmental hazards, etc..  If something that isn't time sensitive can be accomplished cheaper with a longer schedule, guess what happens, it takes longer to come down.  A building this size, it is typically cheaper to demo slowly and take out what can be re-used and recycled than making it a heap of rubble and going through it afterwards.  Sometimes, a scrapper may actually PAY to demo the building for the salvage rights of what is inside instead of being paid to demo a site.  At the end of the day it comes down to the scope and contract signed, neither of which the park has to share.  I laugh sometimes at the tangents this forum takes - I am surprised there isn't speculation and a poll on how often Helbig uses the facilities LOL :P

Now back to speculation...I think it will be something better than what was there!

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

Fixed it for you

Thank you Mr. Baconator, but I think that was more of your "fix"ation of antique cars being installed next year rather than an actual "fix" of anything. Keep those hopes alive, though. Thataboy!  "Rage against the dying of the light!"  :) 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, chugh43 said:

I would love another restaurant with inside seating. It'd be nice to be able to get out of the elements for meals and for a quick break.

1 hour ago, kirbias1 said:

Yeah, I think it will have indoor seating, hopefully, outdoor as well.

And beer.  BBQ is much better with a beer.   Not that I care personally as I am pretty sure I have only purchased alcohol in a park one time my entire life, but it should be available.  

And a dozen Freestyle machines but given that they yanked them from SC the odds are not favorable for that.  

• Like 8

While I figured they would keep part of the structure I am excited to see what happens next.  I would agree that I hope they have plenty of Freestyle machines available as well.  I am still holding out hope that we get something like Canada's Wonderland's Backlot Cafe which has multiple choices like standard American, Greek, Indian, Italian, Kosher, and Mexican food options at respective kiosks.  These are there dining plan options according to Canada's Wonderland's web site:

1. Gluten Free Chicken Fingers with Fries 
2. Signature Burger (The Wild Bison Burger) with Fries (Upgrade for $2 extra)
3. Classic Burger with Fries    
4. Mediterranean Chicken Burger with Fries (Upgrade for $2 extra)
5. Backlot Veggie Burger with Fries    
6. Bombay Butter Chicken with Rice, Papadum & Chutney (Gluten Free option available)   
7. Aromatic Curried beef with Rice, Papadum & Chutney (Gluten Free option available)      
8. Spicy Vegan Potato Curry with Rice, Papadum & Chutney (Gluten Free option available)      
9. Meat Lasagna with Garlic Toast    
10. Vegetarian Lasgna with Garlic Toast    
11. Spagetti & Meatballs with Garlic Toast 
12. Cheese Tortellini, Choice of Sauce with Garlic Toast 
13. Chef's Special with Choice of Sauce and Garlic Toast 
14. Chef's Special Veg Option, Choice of Sauce, Garlic Toast 
15. Chicken Burrito with tortilla chips    
16. Vegetarian Burrito with tortilla chips    
17. Beef Burrito with tortilla chips    
18. Quesadillas with tortilla chips    
19. 3 soft tacos with tortilla chips    
20. Taco Bowl Salad with tortilla chips    
21. Chicken Caesar Salad (pre-packaged) with bread stick    
22. Greek Salad (pre-packaged)  with bread stick    
23. Greek Chicken Gyro Dinner w/ Greek Salad, choice of rice or potatoes    
24. Chicken Soulvaki Dinner w/ Greek Salad, choice of rice or potatoes   

One thing I feel like KI is missing out on is variety in their food choices.  While I doubt this one would have Mexican food because of Hank's practically next door it would be nice to have the American section (presumably the Smokehouse's current menu) along with some other different food options like above and preferably indoor seating.  

• Like 5

A smokehouse in Coney Mall would bring life back to the somewhat dilapidated area. My nose can already smell those juicy, barbecued ribs radiating throughout Coney Mall. Plus, who doesn't love some good homemade ribs! 

• Like 7

Ribs would be awesome but I wouldn't count on that for several reasons.  Ribs take a lot more space per pound of meat to cook, plus they are much more expensive per pound of meat than anything else KI serves, probably even the shrimp, because there is more bone than meat.  They are also more work to prep as you have to peel that dang membrane off the backside and can be really frustrating.  

If they elect to offer them I wouldn't count on them being on the meal plan and a plate would likely be upwards of $18-$20 like at CP.  

Oh, and they wouldn't be homemade, a business would be making them.  :D

• Like 4

I hate to even bring it up, but do we need another understaffed and inefficient eatery in the park?  We certainly need one done right, but...I have my doubts.  This past Sunday was BUSY!  Waited...waited...waited...just to get a burger in the Festhaus.  Seriously?  I will say that the Potato Works that got knocked down never had Corn Dogs ready for my son, and their soda machines were broke on 4th of July weekend, too, so no loss there.  Kings Island does a lot of things exceptionally well, but food and drinks is not one of them.

• Like 2

On 10/24/2017 at 8:40 AM, King Ding Dong said:

In my opinion the presence of a gas line or lack there of may not be a reliable predictor of a smokehouse restaurant.  It is very likely the pork and brisket are the only things actually cooked in the smokers as the chicken and shrimp are fried and likely smoked with minimal heat for a relatively short period of time probably no longer than an hour.

The existing SC Smokehouse may have all they capacity they need as those unit(s) they have are huge. They very well could load the food in large Cambros and transfer it with a service truck once or twice a day. 

Pork and brisket can be held at safe temperatures for long periods of time without loss of quality or refridgerated and reheated with minimal loss.  

I don't see them transferring food from the Water Park.  They don't have an access road anywhere near the new smokehouse location.  Also, they don't ever want to run out of product, which they can control inside their location much easier than outside.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, teenageninja said:

I don't see them transferring food from the Water Park.  They don't have an access road anywhere near the new smokehouse location.  Also, they don't ever want to run out of product, which they can control inside their location much easier than outside.

Well they aren't going to raise and slaughter the hogs right in the restaurant so they must have a way of getting raw meat to the location.  Raw meat vs. cooked meat, I don't see the difference.   Neither has to occur while guests are in the park, but I see supplies carted around the park all the time.   Pork butts take a long time to cook (a minimum of 8-12 hours) they are not pulling them out off the smoker piecemeal throughout the day.  

That is not to say this approach is without its challenges but if SC has the capacity, efficiency of operations has to be considered.  

• Like 3

^ Sure, but they are running it post SC season right now.  Preseason only the smoker(s) would need to run.  Not sure if they have more than one. I am also not suggesting all the food could be pulled out of SC.   At an absolute minimum Coney would still need fryers.  My point is centralizing the actuall smoking process offers some efficiencies.   I see carts of ice pushed around the park all the time during operating hours.  This indicates to me KI does centralize certain food service functions. 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, fryoj said:

After looking into it a little more, you can buy a commercial electric wood pellet smoker for $10k. At that price, theres no need to run gas lines or transport food. 

Earlier this year I looked up the smoker(s) they have SC (Southern Pride) and they run about $25-35K depending on the model and are natural gas or propane only.   Propane would be a possibility but long term probably cheaper to run a gas line.  

Electrics tend to be smaller but they could just have more of them I suppose.  

What they have now in SC is a huge one with a rotisserie so they can let it run all night and not have to worry about shifting racks around so it all cooks evenly.   Chef Nathen posted this tweet with a video of it in action.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, bjcolglazier said:

I hate to even bring it up, but do we need another understaffed and inefficient eatery in the park?  We certainly need one done right, but...I have my doubts.  This past Sunday was BUSY!  Waited...waited...waited...just to get a burger in the Festhaus.  Seriously?  I will say that the Potato Works that got knocked down never had Corn Dogs ready for my son, and their soda machines were broke on 4th of July weekend, too, so no loss there.  Kings Island does a lot of things exceptionally well, but food and drinks is not one of them.

I'd like to echo these concerns. I hope that in addition to the (potential) smokehouse they also revamp food service as a whole.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, King Ding Dong said:

Well they aren't going to raise and slaughter the hogs right in the restaurant so they must have a way of getting raw meat to the location.  Raw meat vs. cooked meat, I don't see the difference.   Neither has to occur while guests are in the park, but I see supplies carted around the park all the time.   Pork butts take a long time to cook (a minimum of 8-12 hours) they are not pulling them out off the smoker piecemeal throughout the day.  

That is not to say this approach is without its challenges but if SC has the capacity, efficiency of operations has to be considered.  

Most of the large deliveries are done while there are no guests in the park, so they can literally drive up to the front or back door and unload.  I'm not arguing the fact they don't haul around stuff, but I have not seen them haul around hot food, which is a different circumstance.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Shawn Meyer said:

I had an idea on here. There are rumors at Cedar Point indicating that Wicked Twister might be moving to another park soon. Is it possible that land cleared could possibly be for that? Just a thought.

Wicked twister is 400 feet long, they have not even cleared 200.  It's always possible we get it but this location makes no sense.  Although I suspect if it is moved it will go to a smaller park.

• Like 2