2018 Construction in Coney Mall

jdf21972

On 10/7/2017 at 8:16 PM, Rivertown Rider said:

With relation to Dinos there really wasn't anything noticeable.  They did add a couple small dinosaurs.  I don't know if they were left over from the gift shop or what.

1zeleyq.jpg

osx1lz.jpg

The bottom dinosaur, a velociraptor (which everyone's surprised by) had been there since last season. People kept touching him and breaking parts so we moved him to that hill above the dig site. The other dinosaur, a psittacosaurus, is a more recent addition. Ever since we heard about Dino's extinction, we decided to bring him out. Behind the trail there were multiple dinosaurs that had been used in prior years and had just fallen into disrepair. One notable example is the "selfie" dinosaur that used to be out front by the fountains.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Here’s your answer:

”The company said its 2018 capital expenditures budget also includes funds to upgrade restaurants or add new ones plus catering at California’s Great America, Carowinds, Kings Island...”

http://www.toledoblade.com/Retail/2017/10/31/Cedar-Fair-reveals-remaining-plans-for-18.html

Finally I will be able to serve authentic Kings Island cuisine to my dinner party guests! ;)

If I could get a full tray of the corn pudding and a whole smoked turkey breast from the Island Smokehouse tho...

• Like 6

And to help with the lines during peak times at the restaurants!  

I think ordering kiosks at more locations would help alleviate some of the issues. Seems like the hold up is always the cashier. If they got the ones like they are using at the newer Speedway Cafes, they’d be good to go. Those things are fast and user friendly.
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, harveyhaddixfan said:

I think ordering kiosks at more locations would help alleviate some of the issues. Seems like the hold up is always the cashier. If they got the ones like they are using at the newer Speedway Cafes, they’d be good to go. Those things are fast and user friendly.

At least during my experience using them at Skyline in CM this past season, the holdup was with food prep.  I waited 40 mins for food from the time of ordering on the kiosks..when they were operating.  Nobody is expecting their food 2 mins after ordering, but having your food in hand no later than 10 min after ordering shouldn't be such a high bar.  And they want to push the 2018 meal plans....

• Like 3

6 hours ago, beastfan11 said:

Hopefully a much needed shift in quality!

If last year was any indicator, there will be a shift in food quality. Last year's smokehouse addition was fantastic. Food there had really good quality. I really like what Kings Island and Chef Nathan is bringing to the table.

5 hours ago, harveyhaddixfan said:

The kiosks really helped the lines at the Coney Mall Skyline. When the queue area was full I still found myself going through it quickly. Never had a problem when I went there. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, JubJester said:

If last year was any indicator, there will be a shift in food quality.

The place that needs a major quality improvement is customer service, not the food itself. The food, to me, is at least of the quality one would typically expect of an amusement park. Customer service is what's holding things back. Fix that, THEN they can turn their attention to higher quality of food. But higher quality food doesn't mean jack if it takes 40 minutes to get it (as @Gabe stated above).

• Like 5

My issue with food service is that the spacing for stands that don't flow well with those who have dining plans and those who are paying cash/card. It's always irritating when I get my food at Chicken Shack or Panda Express. I often stand holding my food having to wait in a line for those who are paying with cash/card when I should easily be able to scan my pass and go on my way so my food doesn't get too cold. There should be a dedicated line for dining plans. 

I also wish they'd fix how Chick Fil-A hands out food....it's way too cramped when those at registers are always trying to take orders....after you give your order there really is no place to go, to ensure you get your food. If you step to the side, you have to push your way through the other waiting folks to get to a window that has your food which you may or may not know until you get right in front of it.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, jcgoble3 said:

The place that needs a major quality improvement is customer service, not the food itself. The food, to me, is at least of the quality one would typically expect of an amusement park. Customer service is what's holding things back. Fix that, THEN they can turn their attention to higher quality of food. But higher quality food doesn't mean jack if it takes 40 minutes to get it (as @Gabe stated above).

Oh I agree with the fact about service needing to be approved. Hopefully they can get it fixed next year. How are they going to do it though? (It probably starts with the workers)

Edit: Also think the Chick Fil-A should get renovated completely. Especially considering the issue @chugh43 brought up.

• Like 4

Just now, JubJester said:

Oh I agree with the fact about service needing to be approved. Hopefully they can get it fixed next year. How are they going to do it though? (It probably starts with the workers)

No, it starts with management creating an environment where the front-line workers feel valued ($10/hour this year was a step in the right direction in that regard) and actually providing sufficient staff to move people through in a reasonable amount of time (they seem to expect most food locations to operate with a single cashier, which creates massive traffic jams at the register and causes food to get cold while waiting to pay).

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, jcgoble3 said:

No, it starts with management creating an environment where the front-line workers feel valued ($10/hour this year was a step in the right direction in that regard)

That's the idea I have in mind. Not only that it will make them feel valued but I think it will bring even more workers in who are even more skilled. Which will make lines go faster. 

I'm pretty, pretty positive they can fit it in their budget.

This will also make their overall park experience even greater.

• Like 4

On my trip there in June, I also stopped by the CM Skyline and the issue I ran into was two fold. First the employee at the kiosk kept trying to scan my wrist band (all day food pass) yet the barcode would not scan. He did allow the folks behind me to keep going in order not to backup the line, and called a supervisor to assist, but that took an additional 20 minutes for them to arrive and by that time, the food had been sitting over at the pick-up counter and was cold. In all fairness, the timing may have been a bit off at the scan register since it was close to 2 hours since I last used it at LaRosas IS. If that is the case, they should look at the timing on the back end of the system.

I'm actually surprised my two coneys were still there as anyone could have just walked off with them since they do not really pay attention to that pick-up counter. When I asked the supervisor to have them remake my order , you would have thought that I was asking for them to build a new restaurant. It actually threw off their whole ordering process and at least six employees did not know what to do since the order was not initiated from the kiosk. Surely this has come up before.

In any case, I don't believe it was an employee error but the register at the CM Skyline because I had been using the wristband throughout the day at other food kiosks with no issues. 

Hopefully they can get the bugs worked out

• Like 4

When I worked I’m merchandise I worked in photo quite a lot and they also use the touchpad registers instead of the touchscreen and the touchpad were a lot more difficult, slow, and annoying. The touchscreen would change based on what’s going on, the touchpad is static. Also supervisors are usually never in charge of one thing or they may be too understaffed to get that supervisor over there so they have to come from a different store to get there. 

• Like 2

IF you ever go on crowded days the lines for the food and ice cream is horrible and what makes it more flustering is the park has shops that are closed even on crowded days.  Point in case the Coke Freestyle area by the train.  I think I saw open one time on my 28 visits this year.  Maybe they need to have an area where they cook the food and deliver to smaller restaurants throughout the park.  

• Like 3

I think it is a multitude of problems.  The employees are often inexperienced and overwhelmed, which leads to frustration and the cycle repeats.  I'd love to see KI recruit some older folks for the food stands.  Adding in some more experienced folks might help with the inexperienced children the park uses to staff.

The POS (point of sale) registers are the true definition of POS (a slang word that I won't go into detail about).  It amazes me that the Partnership has an IT structure that will allow them to report third quarter results as a corporate entitiy 2 days after the main season ends, but they don't utilize technology to speed you past the POS.  It truly boggles my mind!

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, jtro223 said:

I think it is a multitude of problems.  The employees are often inexperienced and overwhelmed, which leads to frustration and the cycle repeats.  I'd love to see KI recruit some older folks for the food stands.  Adding in some more experienced folks might help with the inexperienced children the park uses to staff.

The POS (point of sale) registers are the true definition of POS (a slang word that I won't go into detail about).  It amazes me that the Partnership has an IT structure that will allow them to report third quarter results as a corporate entitiy 2 days after the main season ends, but they don't utilize technology to speed you past the POS.  It truly boggles my mind!

The problem that Kings Island has recruiting older people is a few things, this is a very general statement.

1) Most of the supervisors in the park are in their late teens to early 20s.  A lot of older people don't like working for younger people.

2) Kings Island is a seasonal job, you are guaranteed to have a few months off every year.  

3) Unless things have changed, since Kings Island is seasonal, their seasonal employees do not get benefits.

Not to mention, the wages they pay aren't anywhere near living wages.  It's just not a sustainable job for most.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, teenageninja said:

The problem that Kings Island has recruiting older people is a few things, this is a very general statement.

1) Most of the supervisors in the park are in their late teens to early 20s.  A lot of older people don't like working for younger people.

2) Kings Island is a seasonal job, you are guaranteed to have a few months off every year.  

3) Unless things have changed, since Kings Island is seasonal, their seasonal employees do not get benefits.

Not to mention, the wages they pay aren't anywhere near living wages.  It's just not a sustainable job for most.

1--It could involve a cultural shift.  Maybe the supervisors should be older adults.  And retirees who are just looking to supplement their income would most likely be working with younger people whether they are in a supervisor or supervisee role.

2--Many older adults look for just thing thing.  My dad, for example, is 83 years old.  He currently works at a state park during the season-April through October.  

3--If these older adults are looking for income supplementation, benefits are low on their priority list most likely.  My dad gets no benefits, other than a paycheck and an outlet to keep him active.

Please note that I am talking about retirees taking these roles.  People who have planned ahead and can still contribute to society.  There is also a population of older adults who HAVE to work because of various circumstances.    The type of older adults I am seeing in these roles are the types I've seen a lot at KI and Dorney this year at the front gate, who scan your ticket or pass.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, jtro223 said:

1--It could involve a cultural shift.  Maybe the supervisors should be older adults.  And retirees who are just looking to supplement their income would most likely be working with younger people whether they are in a supervisor or supervisee role.

2--Many older adults look for just thing thing.  My dad, for example, is 83 years old.  He currently works at a state park during the season-April through October.  

3--If these older adults are looking for income supplementation, benefits are low on their priority list most likely.  My dad gets no benefits, other than a paycheck and an outlet to keep him active.

Please note that I am talking about retirees taking these roles.  People who have planned ahead and can still contribute to society.  There is also a population of older adults who HAVE to work because of various circumstances.    The type of older adults I am seeing in these roles are the types I've seen a lot at KI and Dorney this year at the front gate, who scan your ticket or pass.

I'm not saying it's not possible, but it's very unlikely.

Also, please ask your father if he wants to work 50+ hours a week as a Supervisor.  Can he do 13 hour days regularly?  Can he work 3 to close and then come in the next do to open or work an All Day shift?

Oh yeah, keep in mind they don't pay overtime either.

• Like 3

My question is how does Dollywood do it? A lot of their staff are of the retirement age. Their older staff operate rides, operate cash registers, usher shows, work in restaurants, etc. 

It's definitely a culture thing....these older folks are often the most cheerful folks, hard working and truly give great experiences. These  folks are often working in their spots for numerous hours a day and then some. I remember a ride operator who opened Thunderhead for the day when I visited last year on opening day and she ended up operating Thunderhead through our ERT session that ended at 11 pm. She likely had breaks...but she still came back later on in the year. This year, I saw someone closing at Lightning Rod on preview night and saw them bright and early the next morning for our first rides/tour before the park opened. 

Dollywood is doing something right behind the scenes to keep these folks coming back year after year....why can't Kings Island and Cedar Fair? 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, teenageninja said:

I'm not saying it's not possible, but it's very unlikely.

Also, please ask your father if he wants to work 50+ hours a week as a Supervisor.  Can he do 13 hour days regularly?  Can he work 3 to close and then come in the next do to open or work an All Day shift?

Oh yeah, keep in mind they don't pay overtime either.

That's why it would be a definite cultural change.  This is not to bash the current generation of supervisors.  I know they work hard and are in a hard spot.  But from my limited observation, they seem to want to be friends with the teenage staff.  That can be a good or bad thing.  

Dad has never worked OT at his current job, because of state funding, OT is not allowed.  There are several days each summer he has to work 16+ hour days, but schedules are adjusted to account for OT elimination.  It is not an apples to apples comparison of his job to a food supervisor at KI, but when he has worked those 16 hour days, he is back at it at 0700 the next day.  I work with many RNs in their 60's and even 70's who work 12 hour shifts (which typically turn in to 14-15 hour shifts) and are back at it at 0700 the next morning (well, they typically come in early).  They run circles around the 22-30 year old crowd.  So I don't see how it would be impossible to transfer the concept to food service at KI.

It's a shame that they don't pay OT to hourly employees.  I understand that is a law that was written to benefit the industry.  It would be great if the industry would take a higher road and address the issue, but as long as they are allowed to do it, they will continue to utilize and undervalue those employees.

I think any further discussion on this topic should continue on a food thread, rather than a Coney Mall construction thread.

• Like 4