2018 Construction in Coney Mall

jdf21972

I have just wrapped up my 16th season at Coney.  I think I can offer some insights.

Coney has been my second job since 2005.  I worked there when I was finishing up college/doing co-op jobs.  I have had a full time job at architectural offices working M-F, then going into Coney on weekends (and doing the employee schedules in the weekday evenings).  While it is nice to get that second paycheck from Coney, I work there because I enjoy it.  It is certainly an odd feeling now since some of the employees that I am hiring/training were 1 or not even born yet when I started working at Coney.  

It is definitely a generational issue.  A lot of the new generation want everything handed to them.  They do not want to have to work for things, or own up to mistakes they made.  I can`t tell you how many emails I have received from parents saying I scheduled their child when they had a sporting event, etc.  The child knew about the event in enough time they could have scheduled off, but they either forgot, or were too lazy too.  There are some employees we get that love to accumulate hours, but most of them complain when they get scheduled for 25 hours.  Back in 2009, when I hadn`t landed an architecture job yet after graduating, I was working doubles seven days a week at Coney.  I think I only took two days off that whole summer, and I ended up going to KI those days.

Pigeon Forge gets a lot of retirees, and I think a lot of the older people that work at Dollywood are people that are retired and looking for something to do and earn some extra money.  And Kings Island needs a substantial amount more of employees compared to Dollywood, given its size.  Part of the issue is the pay (Coney actually bumped people`s pay up at the end of the season to entice the workers we did have to stay) when places like Target offer year round jobs that pay several dollars more than a seasonal job.  

I would love to be able to screen employees who work for me and select only the best, most enthusiastic employees.  Unfortunately, it comes down to a numbers game.  We need a certain amount of employees to staff the rides, and if they can operate the ride, even if they aren`t the most bubbly, cheerful personality, I need to hire them to ensure that I am not short staffed and having rides closed.  

If there were a magic way to coach even the shyest teenager to have an engaging personality that would help create memories for the park guests and leave them wanting to come back, that person would surely make a fortune, as tons of amusement parks, not just Kings Island or Cedar Fair would be clammoring for that technique.

• Like 7

On 11/2/2017 at 3:22 PM, teenageninja said:

The problem that Kings Island has recruiting older people is a few things, this is a very general statement.

1) Most of the supervisors in the park are in their late teens to early 20s.  A lot of older people don't like working for younger people.

2) Kings Island is a seasonal job, you are guaranteed to have a few months off every year.  

3) Unless things have changed, since Kings Island is seasonal, their seasonal employees do not get benefits.

Not to mention, the wages they pay aren't anywhere near living wages.  It's just not a sustainable job for most.

Not to mention it is a lot of kids first jobs ever. Plus a lot of food and beverage supervisors are minors which you can tell if they have a blue or yellow name tag. 

• Like 4

I'm not saying it's not possible, but it's very unlikely.
Also, please ask your father if he wants to work 50+ hours a week as a Supervisor.  Can he do 13 hour days regularly?  Can he work 3 to close and then come in the next do to open or work an All Day shift?
Oh yeah, keep in mind they don't pay overtime either.

KI doesn't pay overtime? So the supervisors are salaried? If not it's illegal. So are you saying they are not being legal?
And not to be mean but you pick the job... if it's too much or not what you want to do.... the city is hiring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

If this law were not on the books, I am sure the parks would find another solution.  OT is generally frowned on.  But I do love getting it for picking up an extra shift ever once in a while.  (And it's automatic time and a half when I work anything over my scheduled 24 hours/week!)

• Like 2

Working a 60 hour weeks when I was 16-17 was nice. Then I got a job where I got paid overtime if I worked over 40 hours. That’s when I realized it wasn’t worth my time to stay at Kings Island unfortunately. Since they are seasonal they are able to get around a lot of laws that other part/full time employers must obide by. 

• Like 5

I worked upwards of 50, almost 60 hours a week this past summer. Even though there's no overtime at Kings Island, I personally don't mind as long as I have a job there. My main reason for working there is having fun working two of my favorite rides and getting to be at the park almost every day! :D 

ANYWAY, pertaining to the topic, I'm excited for WinterFest and the opportunity to get to walk through Tower Gardens/Candy Cane Lane as well as skate on the fountains and eat in the International Restaurant! I'm also excited to see the changes taking place in my personal favorite section of the park, Coney Mall. :)

• Like 4

21 hours ago, chugh43 said:

Or it just won't be open....the map is missing lots of things! 

What is more interesting is that there seems to be a path behind it connecting it to tower gardens. Does this mean that construction will be finished in this area? Why show the path if the area will still be under construction? Interesting..........Thoughts?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Cmhornblessed said:

What is more interesting is that there seems to be a path behind it connecting it to tower gardens. Does this mean that construction will be finished in this area? Why show the path if the area will still be under construction? Interesting..........Thoughts?

It still has the former Coney Potato Works on the map as well...the path for Tower Gardens never really reached over that far....it's more like the artist took some liberties to fill space than anything. No hints there..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chugh43 said:

It still has the former Coney Potato Works on the map as well...the path for Tower Gardens never really reached over that far....it's more like the artist took some liberties to fill space than anything. No hints there..

This is a screen capture from the Winterfest map downloaded today. The building here is the Coney Confections, and then.......nothing. I am not seeing any potato works here. 

Capture.PNG

• Like 3

It's likely due to the park using the normal map to show where attractions are when looking at the map feature....the one from the download link is what you'll see on the physical map when you pick it up at the park (updated for Winterfest obviously). 

I'd still look at it in the view of artistic liberties/filling space vs. a hint. I'd doubt they'd put a walk way in, in the 3.5 weeks before Winterfest to then place something in that plot of land after Winterfest. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, chugh43 said:

It's likely due to the park using the normal map to show where attractions are when looking at the map feature....the one from the download link is what you'll see on the physical map when you pick it up at the park (updated for Winterfest obviously). 

I'd still look at it in the view of artistic liberties/filling space vs. a hint. I'd doubt they'd put a walk way in, in the 3.5 weeks before Winterfest to then place something in that plot of land after Winterfest. 

It does seem odd that they would. I wonder if the large Christmas tree will be there beside the Scrambler as pictured in the downloaded park map?

• Like 2

I'm still curious if we will get an announcement at all during Winterfest.

I felt that Kings Island delayed their announcement in a large part because so many people who might otherwise attend were likely to be drawn to the Steel Vengeance announcement instead that day. However, I believe at some point Don Helbig said there would be an announcement at a later date. 

I expected it to come sometime between then and the end of the regular season. Then sometime before the end of Haunt. But still nothing... Having Winterfest come again to the park is going to be enough of a media attention draw that an announcement isn't really necessary, but I hope we get one anyway. 

• Like 4

I too have been expecting an announcement.  I thought part of the delay might have been getting the new PR person hired and then I thought maybe they were waiting to see what Kentucky Kingdom announced.  I don't know how much competition they view KK as though.  Now that both of those things have happened I am hopeful that we get an announcement shortly.

In addition to whatever the presumed restaurant becomes (hopefully something with indoor seating) I am hopeful they add some smaller flats down toward the former Dinos entrance.  That whole area has been lacking and it will be even worse without the Dinos store/DA.  The other advantage of adding some flats would be it would be some more rides that they could presumably keep some open during Winterfest next year.  I would love to see a Musik Express or a Tilt a Whirl.  I also would like to see us get the Spinning Barrels ride from Holiday Park in Germany that Cedar Fair bought on their European pickers tour a couple years ago that still hasn't found a home.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't count on the shed changing....that'd require Holovis and IOE to come in and change the programming for it....IOE I know is busy with other projects.
I love Mystic Timbers, but you would think if it was different music, sound effects and screens, but same basic moving prompts, Holovis could do that remotely. Or give the park a giant hard drive with the programs on it. I know...I am not reality thinking though.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

@Oldschool75:That (just switching the already provided programming to the Winterfest version) makes the most sense. On a related note, I remember hearing something about the park picking a GCI as it can run in colder temperatures, so Winterfest was likely known about at that point and maybe they set a program then. Otherwise, it would be jarring to go from "have a Holly Jolly Christmas" to the ominous Miami River Lumber Company announcement as well as what (as of Closing Day 2017) was in the shed. Whatever happens, there better not be a Krampus or scary Jack Frost (the snowman, not actual Jack Frost- he's a cool dude!)-esque guy in the shed!

• Like 3