2018 Construction in Coney Mall

jdf21972

Paging [mention=10611]pianoman[/mention] as I think the last page of posts are relevant to your interest in the fountain. 

I'm so excited to be able to skate on the fountain again! I went to Winterfest in 2005 and skated then. It was pretty nice, but I think this year will be much better. Almost 12 years of waiting to do it again is about to pay off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 6

16 hours ago, FoF96" said:

It looks like they have elevated the ice rink rather  than using the floor. wouldn’t it have been cool to have the lights on underneath the ice?

The ice rink has always been built on temporary platforms above the fountains.  It was always a popular myth in the early years of Winterfest that they froze the fountains.  But that is simply impossible since the fountain is not built to be frozen - even if it had feezing coils and piping installed, the concrete would crack, electrical fail, fountain plumbing would be compromised etc. 

Personally,  I'm curious to see where the staging platform will be (where you put on/take off your skates.)  In the original years of Winterfest, it was at the end nearest to the main entrance.  For the 1-year return during Paramount, they installed permanent access walkways and placed the staging area at the end nearest to the bandstand - opposite the previous set-up.

• Like 12

Haven’t heard a peep about the construction in Coney. Wouldn’t it be a hoot if it was a Smokehouse and maybe a ride too? There is plenty of space in that area. What if just to the left of the candy shop was a Wildmouse Coaster that partially uses space in tower gardens? Then there could be another ride for Winterfest! 

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, upstop said:

What if just to the left of the candy shop was a Wildmouse Coaster that partially uses space in tower gardens? Then there could be another ride for Winterfest!

That's a great idea. I've always wanted a Wildmouse Coaster at the park, and thought that section would be perfect.  WinterFest would definently benefit from it.

• Like 5

I wonder if the Mac & Cheese bar is a test and if it is successful that they will bring it back during the regular season.  We don't know what is happening with the presumed Coney Smokehouse yet but if they do make it more like Carowinds Harmony Hall they could always add the Mac & Cheese Bar as one of the kiosks in that building.  More variety in food options is always a good thing.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Rivertown Rider said:

I wonder if the Mac & Cheese bar is a test and if it is successful that they will bring it back during the regular season.  We don't know what is happening with the presumed Coney Smokehouse yet but if they do make it more like Carowinds Harmony Hall they could always add the Mac & Cheese Bar as one of the kiosks in that building.  More variety in food options is always a good thing.

A test indeed of wether or not I want to gain 20lbs during my visit at KI.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

I think it was 2 seasons ago that Kings Dominion had a "twelve days of Christmas" theme, where each day they presented a new "gift" to their patrons for the following season.  Most (if not all) of them centered around smaller cosmetic changes, the re-introduction of old things the park had lost thru time but remained strong in the memories of those that attended the park in their youth.  I don't recall if there was truely anything remotely major announced, but I still thought it was a great way to present the smaller updates changes that are needed, especially during a time when there is not a brand spanking new coaster to hype.  If they took the 8th-10th, weekend of operation plus the 15th-23rd week of full operation, that adds up to 12 days and would work perfectly.  At some point they've got to say why they are doing work in coney, even if its small improvements, I think that would be a great way to introduce them.

• Like 7

On 11/17/2017 at 9:52 PM, King Ding Dong said:

So who was saying KI couldn’t serve Smokehouse offerings in the dry park?

Looking forward to the upgraded serving baskets at Hanks.  

It was me.  I think you are also making a pretty big assumption that it is being smoked in the water park.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

I never understood a burrito shack in a German area of the park. Besides, they have the seating for it.

Or they could sell Tex Mex food with German ingredients; they could call them Oktoberfest Burritos and Tacos. Tortilla shell with Gliers Goetta, sauerkraut, and Swiss cheese.

Blondy, pipe dreaming...

• Like 5

18 hours ago, BlondyRidesOn said:

Or they could sell Tex Mex food with German ingredients; they could call them Oktoberfest Burritos and Tacos. Tortilla shell with Gliers Goetta, sauerkraut, and Swiss cheese.

Blondy, pipe dreaming...

The best Tex-Mex food I've ever eaten, hands down was at a little place I stumbled across in Bordeaux, France.

• Like 2