2018 Construction in Coney Mall

jdf21972

2 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

I was in that situation for a few years with my youngest.  Is yours just not ready for the high thrills or is it a height issue?   Kiefer was just a water park kid for several years, to tall for kiddie rides but coasters and even most flats were just to scary for him.  It finally changed two summers ago when was 10.   I didn’t push him but was clear that if he didn’t want to ride I wasn’t going to hold his older brother back and he could stay home.  

Not a big thrill ride fan but likes the little rides...not a height issue.  Maybe I'll go again with her and change the expectations a bit (just hit shows and do little rides, etc).  Antique cars would be a perfect example of a type of ride for this age. 

• Like 4

I don't know if Sledge Hammer was my singular favorite, but it's definitely up there with Shockwave and Skyhawk. All would make great additions at KI. Though, if I had to pick one I think I'd go with Skyhawk. I loved the interactivity of it and really want to try and beat my flip count of 35. I saw another guy get into the 60s.

• Like 4

Some great physical and thematic improvements are coming to Kings Dominion's Candy Apple Grove. Could we see similar enhancements in Coney Mall in the near future?

With Carowinds rethemeing their Planet Snoopy to Camp Snoopy, is Cedar Fair focusing more on cohesive themed environments?

https://www.kingsdominion.com/blog/big-changes-coming-to-candy-apple-grove

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, LoadAndGo said:

Some great physical and thematic improvements are coming to Kings Dominion's Candy Apple Grove. Could we see similar enhancements in Coney Mall in the near future?

With Carowinds rethemeing their Planet Snoopy to Camp Snoopy, is Cedar Fair focusing more on cohesive themed environments?

https://www.kingsdominion.com/blog/big-changes-coming-to-candy-apple-grove

I would love to see some spruced up theming in Coney Mall; just as long as our Racer retains the same name.

• Like 3

I don`t mind the Racer `75 name perse.  But the Apple Zapple name for Ricochet just seems weird.

I do hope that Coney Mall gets some attention.  It is nice that Shake, Rattle and Roll, Dodgems and Scrambler have received new LED lights.  And the area did get new pavers back in 2011.  The are could use something new.  I really enjoyed the Gemini midway at Cedar Point.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

That makes two of us. However I think its odd that they'd essentially rename Rebel Yell to Racer 75 when, imo, Rebel Yell was a more original name.

Rebel Yell is considered pretty offense by some people, seeing as the battle cry of the Confederates was the "Rebel Yell." I think the name was a very cool and unique one, and a callback to the history of the region - I've seen some people on Reddit saying "if there was a coaster in Germany called 'Blitzkrieg' or one in South Africa called 'Apartheid' they'd change the name, so why not Rebel Yell?" I disagree with that, because IMO Rebel Yell is harmless in itself but that's a moot point now. I'm not so much mad they changed the name as I am that the new name is unoriginal and frankly not very good. Virginia has a very rich history, not all of which is related to the Civil War, so why not rename it something with a bit of spunk (like Rebel Yell?)

• Like 4

The problem with the name change, in my opinion, is that Rebel Yell was the rides name since opening day 1975, and for nostalgic reasons it should have kept the name it always had to avoid possible confusion between our Racer and theirs. But I will weigh in on both sides of the argument, it's better than what happened to Thunder Road. 

• Like 4