2018 Construction in Coney Mall

jdf21972

I’m still kind of surprised that KI hasn’t announced or hinted at the new “thing” in Coney Mall. Other parks have announced their line up. I know they will when it is advantageous to them but it’s practically a new season already. The suspense is killing me! 

• Like 8

56 minutes ago, upstop said:

I’m still kind of surprised that KI hasn’t announced or hinted at the new “thing” in Coney Mall. Other parks have announced their line up. I know they will when it is advantageous to them but it’s practically a new season already. The suspense is killing me! 

I am surprised as well, weird we haven't gotten an announcement yet.

• Like 3

On 2/11/2018 at 2:14 PM, spooky21 said:

Have they always been on the brake run?

after the last bunny hop you were in the break run but there wasn’t walls around you.... if we were racing friends we could look across and see the other train. I have no idea why walls were needed except for maybe weather purposes. Perhaps to prevent riders from getting drenched while waiting to get into the station.

• Like 3

I just wanted to say that I find it VERY interesting that not only has the park not made any announcements yet about 2018, but that they haven't announced anything given the very visible construction going on during Winterfest.  Not saying I think it's good, bad, or that there's some kind of conspiracy theory going on, but just that the silence up until this point of the year seems to be very out of the ordinary.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, KIfan73 said:

I just wanted to say that I find it VERY interesting that not only has the park not made any announcements yet about 2018, but that they haven't announced anything given the very visible construction going on during Winterfest.  Not saying I think it's good, bad, or that there's some kind of conspiracy theory going on, but just that the silence up until this point of the year seems to be very out of the ordinary.

Very out of the ordinary, but when there's nothing to announce that won't help sell passes/tickets...no need to announce.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, chugh43 said:

Very out of the ordinary, but when there's nothing to announce that won't help sell passes/tickets...no need to announce.

Unless... they are taking a page from the distant past and not saying anything, because there is more to it than what we are ecpecting it to be. In the beginning... there wasn’t social media and news travelled a lot more slowly. Sometimes we wouldn’t have a clue about what the new attraction was until opening day. Personally, I can’t imagine a new food venue would increase season pass sales, but they know what they are doing, and I’m sure whatever it is will be a fantastic new addition!

• Like 5

Just now, upstop said:

Unless... they are taking a page from the distant past and not saying anything, because there is more to it than what we are ecpecting it to be. In the beginning... there wasn’t social media and news travelled a lot more slowly. Sometimes we wouldn’t have a clue about what the new attraction was until opening day. Personally, I can’t imagine a new food venue would increase season pass sales, but they know what they are doing, and I’m sure whatever it is will be a fantastic new addition!

I fully agree with you. 

• Like 2

I think the beauty of Winterfest was all the advertising they needed to urge season pass sales for the next year. 

It's possible that the lack of an announcement is due to the change of the individual in charge of that decision. It's possible it is because there is nothing major coming in 2018. It's possible it is because so many people made a stink about the shed being "overhyped" and they're going in a "show not tell" direction. It's possible an announcement is still coming before the park reopens. 

All we can do is speculate and continue to wait. 

• Like 11

While there is much speculation that they're building a restaurant in Coney Mall (which is probably very well true), they didn't even break ground on the Island Smokehouse restaurant until a year ago today....

• Like 6

^^Now that is really interesting! I am not super familiar with the layout of Soak City as I didn't visit it much before they put this restaurant in (now it's a trip on the train for some food for me!) but surely there was something there before it that had to come down, right? It does seem really odd that they've been working in Coney Mall for months now and no announcement...yet this time last year, they were just breaking ground. Hrmmmmm! 

• Like 3

I'm sure part of the reason they started construction this time last year for Smokehouse is due to Soak City opening later. I don't believe Smokehouse replaced anything major. They roughly had 3-4 months to do that project 

With this new building in Coney, they had to raze a couple of buildings and prepare the land (which all happened before January). Late December we started to see mason work started. If this building is going to open on Opening Day...they've had roughly the same amount of time. I don't really see anything out of the ordinary for this project. 

I'll continue to say, they don't necessarily need to announce anything. Sometimes it's just better to let the speculation "announce" what's going on. 

• Like 5

It's really the best form of advertising to people like me...who it will annoy to no end until I find out the answer. lol  

I'm very much pulling for a nice, large restaurant so at least the odds are in my favor. ^_^

• Like 6

I think we'll find out when it gets sooner to opening day, when they post something *new* on the ki website. Don didn't seem like he wanted to speculate on when, or even 'if' there was going to be an announcement, when he was asked about it during the live video cast last year. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KImom said:

^^Now that is really interesting! I am not super familiar with the layout of Soak City as I didn't visit it much before they put this restaurant in (now it's a trip on the train for some food for me!) but surely there was something there before it that had to come down, right? It does seem really odd that they've been working in Coney Mall for months now and no announcement...yet this time last year, they were just breaking ground. Hrmmmmm! 

The Island Smokehouse took over the location of the original Dive Snack Shack (Boomerang Bay era) which was a Graeter's before demolition. Again, I still believe that this is just a restaurant to be announced with their food offerings during the off season like they have before. 

• Like 1

Heh. Not trying to give the rumor credence. No, the sinking rumor presumably comes from the land below Vortex being recessed from the walkways beside it. It is not now and never has been unstable or sinking.

A concrete mixer is interesting tho. Because they already had poured the foundations for the new (presumed) restaurant back in the fall. Maybe they're pouring a patio?

• Like 3