2018 Construction in Coney Mall

jdf21972

On 3/16/2018 at 2:46 PM, JubJester said:

Air hockey is one of the few I play. Don't have to carry anything. There's no prize so I don't have to worry. I did however almost accidently hit the puck into the sewer grate by The Beast. Those things will fly off easily without any effort.

I had so much fun playing Air Hockey in the Coney Arcade on Closing Day (as in, the last night of Winterfest)! I distinctly remember thinking just when the game was over, more pucks spilled out onto the table. Good times! B)

Also, I think I played more/different types of games during Winterfest than the normal season. Along with Air Hockey, I also played Center Ice (the soccer game that was converted for Winterfest) twice and that was a ton of fun. IIRC, I only went into the Arcade(s) once or twice during the Normal season; I'm usually at the park for the rides, shows, Haunt mazes and Pokemon Go.

• Like 4

We always play a couple games right before we leave - if one of us wins, it's like an extra little excitement to end the night. :)  However, we typically don't stay until close - three little kids just can't hang that long. I feel like 8-9pm has more action over in Coney with other families doing the same as us which makes it a lot more fun! 

• Like 3

At this point I don’t see them announcing anything this close to opening day we are just a few weeks away.. I would guess you’ll find out what’s new when people go on opening day.. they might post it on their website a few days before listing what’s new but that’ll be it maybe. 

• Like 2

It's likely that they won't announce anything, especially if there isn't anything really to announce. 

We know we'll be receiving a new restaurant of some type. If they "announce" it, it'll likely be "announced" when they put out info for this year's Dining Plans.

• Like 2

Not even close. We know they're adding a restaurant. They likely are doing general upkeep throughout the park. Doubtful there would be an announcement for that nor is really needed. Imagine if they posted on social media "we're installing a new roof on Sweet Spot as part of our 2018 capital improvements." I cannot fathom how many responses they'd get....to the tune of "finally they're fixing some things...they need to fix Racer I about died on it once" or "I can find better things to spend money on than a roof" or "they should build a better ride than Mystic Timbers with that money." 

Announcing "small projects" can be a slippery slope. Sometimes it's better to not say anything at all and let folks find out for themselves. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

True that. I am surprised there isn't any other updates to the park worth mentioning. Putting pavers in or any kinda of work being done at all. Did MT deplete the KI funds haha 

If they haven't announced anything yet, they won't announce anything. Mystic Timbers didn't "deplete" their funds. Is typical for Kings Island to go for a fairly easy year after a big coaster is put in. 

• Like 4

I would consider a new resturaunt a big update worth an announcement like on social media posts giving us pictures and renderings of drawings and stuff of what it will look like.. especially since it took some major construction of demolitioning a building and all that stuff, you all have seen the pictures... I just would have thought they would have put something on social media by like a twitter post and Instagram post about it 

• Like 2

You may find it worth an announcement, but apparently the park doesn't.  Announcing a new restaurant, will it sell passes? Unlikely...will it boost meal plan sales? Probably. 

The thing I can say that confuses me about this restaurant is that they announced Smoke House in Soak City and posted a bunch of updates about it's progress (well Chef Nate did mainly). That would be the only reason I could think of for them to talk about it and show updates (because it was done in the past). 

I don't think that just because it's new means we are guaranteed an announcement/update.

• Like 6

Yeah I am not sure. I mean that makes since. I feel both way about it. It is sorta close to festhaus. Ki does need another larger sit down restaurant. Everyone seems to love the Smoke House. I am good with Coney BBQ. It would be awesome if it was " City BBQ " that we have here in Columbus haha soooooo gooooood!

• Like 3

Funnel cake stand expansions, Starbucks moving buildings, and restroom remodels.  These are just a few the non-Earth-shattering, not-completely-new-building-construction changes to the park that have been hyped on social media way before opening day.  I'm not buying that they've simply built a new restaurant from the ground up without a peep, and are just letting people find out as they visit.   

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, chugh43 said:

I know some have seen building permits that state "Coney BBQ." I'd think it'd be safe to assume it's going to be a restaurant. What else would it be?

I swear I'll be mad if they call it Coney BBQ, and not something better. 

I may have to bug my sources within Kings Island about making it "Coney Macaroni and Smokehouse"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1