2018 Construction in Coney Mall

jdf21972

One thing I have also noticed is that there are two trailers immediately behind the Coke Freestyle store.  These weren't there in August but I first noticed them starting in late September.  There is also a taller fence beside them (on the Adventure Express side) that wasn't there before.  There was already a smaller fence but this taller fence is in addition.  It could just be for construction but it seems strange that they just shoe-horned two trailers in that space.  I wonder if maybe they will tear down all or part of the Carnival prize building and put another path to the X-base area there.  You could easily fit a couple small flats there (like the Huss Breakdance that we have mentioned previously) along with hopefully a bathroom closer to Flight of Fear.

riulib.jpg

• Like 8

It seems they are being very careful about the building frame. Maybe a referb of the building as a shelter hopefully for a ride of some kind?Fingers crossed! Although I like the idea of a new Smokehouse, which seems to be what some want or predict, but does it have to be the “worlds largest”? 

• Like 4

I think with Brad's interview with Mike Koontz today that we can rule out a buffet coming to this new restaurant if it is a restaurant.  I am hopeful though that they do it similar to Harmony Hall at Carowinds and Backlot Cafe at Canada's Wonderland and have several different kiosks that you can get food at.  Even if they did a Smokehouse BBQ theme you could still have fresh burgers and chicken sandwiches. 

While I don't think it fits the Smokehouse BBQ theme you could also put a kiosk in there for Skyline.  That would allow you to keep the Skyline patrons from backing onto the Midway and if you had indoor seating in the new restaurant you could tear down the Skyline Patio.  They do have a Winterfest show in the Skyline Patio this year but as @SonofBaconator shows in the previous post there would be plenty of room to put the Antiques there including some of the Tower Gardens area.

• Like 6

Yeah, when I saw it today, my impression was they will be reusing the steel structure although the rest looks like it is going to be torn out. We'll soon see, I guess. 

I kind of get the feeling that they originally intended to use more of the structure, and have it finished sooner. Then when they got into it, it wasn't as structurally sound as they hoped. That's just impressions tho, nothing I've heard. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Oldschool75 said:

They have to gut the building before they can cut the steel girders that are the supporting structure of the building. This is a standard demolition. The info will be released soon enough.  

Idk, typically when you are tearing a building down like that, unless they are reusing or doing targeted scraping, they bring in excavators and knock it down and load it into dumpsters to be hauled off. A building that size could have been torn down and hauled off in a matter of a few days. Theres more to this than standard demo. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, malem said:

A goal of modern demolition is to recycle as much as possible. It's easier to recover some materials from a standing building than from a heap of rubble.

I was amazed when I watched the demolition of several dorms at the University of Kentucky over the last several years.  After the semester ended, they spent about a month doing asbestos abatement.  From then, it was "hit it with all we've got."  Huge piles of rubble and they would just move them around.  After the basements were filled in, they had huge magnets that picked up metal, which was piled and hauled off.  The bricks, concrete blocks and chunks of concrete were eventually ground down into gravel.  But what was the most shocking was that after  cursory give away of furnishings to the Habitat for Humanity  store, the buildings were not emptied.  Bunk beds, mirrors, chairs, water fountains, commodes, appliances, all part of the demolition.  It was a real shame.

• Like 3

I will admit I had not given much consideration to using the international restaurant as a buffet.  Without that I do not see anything which points towards a new restaurant listed on Kings Islands website.  Most of the restaurants you are able to figure out exactly which restaurant they are using by reading the description.  For instance 11 Pipers Piping Pizza, states if you missed Prancer’s Pizza on the way in, and Tinker’s Spielzeug Haus is obvious so you know all three La Rosa’s locations and which is which.

So we are back to rumors and speculation.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, malem said:

A goal of modern demolition is to recycle as much as possible. It's easier to recover some materials from a standing building than from a heap of rubble.

The scrap yards are very efficient in sorting materials for recycling. They can do it quicker and cheaper than it can be done by hand on site. Whatever is going on with this building and the way they are taking it down I would wager has very little to do with recycling. 

• Like 2

Here is Kings Island Central's press interview with the new general manager of Kings Island, Mike Koontz. This video is for anyone who didn't already see this or for those who would like to see this interview once more. From the video, I was able to deduce extrapolations about what Koontz plans are in reference to the future development of Kings Island, such as with the old Crypt building and how he said he could see that as a ride 4-5 years out. There's much to speculate about after watching the video. Enjoy.

Edited by QuantumMechanicsInMotion
Diction.
  • Like 5

Things to point out regarding the video

Dinosaurs Alive Starting at 7:10

• Have plans in the near future that don't include that area
  • Need's to do something that's different for guests

Crypt Building Stating at 11:00

• Extremely expensive
  • The building needs to be utilized for something more than Haunt
  • Would love to see it utilized for a ride in the future 

It seems like Mike Koontz wants to utilize underused space and turn them into something that can be loved by many instead of few. Dinos and the Crypt building are perfect examples of this. One is only used for Halloween and the other doesn't get stellar attendance.

• Like 9

His comments are also very interesting in regards to those who have convinced themselves of the "inevitable" Giga being built in the DA area. Even when pressed for details about what the space could be used for he emphasizes the trail itself, the natural setting, etc. It sounds like that could potentially reused in the future in some capacity. 

A lot of exciting things ahead, I'm sure! 

• Like 6

Many of us complain about the lack of health food options, so I would really like to see an establishment open with a health focus.   Burgers are always a popular choice and I think an establishment focused around this product is something nearly everyone could get behind.

IMG_0142.JPG

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

10 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

Many of us complain about the lack of health food options, so I would really like to see an establishment open with a health focus.   Burgers are always a popular choice and I think an establishment focused around this product is something nearly everyone could get behind.

IMG_0142.JPG

You are eating 100% real vegetarian beef! The cows didn't eat anything other than veggies, that means it is healthier!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Talking of underused spaces, there are several that come to mind:

Walkway between Bat and AZ,

Kill Mart/Dinosaurs Alive, 

Crypt Building

Area behind Mondo Monsoon

Xbase

IS to Rivertown walkway by DBack splashdown, 

SE Planet Snoopy

I could see a ton of flat rides coming in within the upcoming years, in an attempt to plug the gaps.

• Like 5

Don't mention The Bat que to @MDMC01;)

Kill Mart is fine to me because it can be used for many things: a haunted house, an arcade, shelter, a gift shop, lazier tag, etc. 

Xbase has been a confusing topic because while it can be expanded, the question is where it would be expanded. Would the maintenance building's be relocated? Would it be behind Firehawk? Would it be between Flight of Fear and Racer?

BLSC has kinda more or less affected the placement of rides on the path to Rivertown. Something can definitely fit, but it wouldn't make sense to just put a random attraction like a flat without having something else put near it. That being said, if they did want to put something along that path, they'd have to more or less update that little area. Notice how all the other flats are within close proximity to each other. 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, BlondyRidesOn said:

If the maintenance building is moved, they'd have to build a new water tank for the pressure washing of the PTC trains from The Racer and The Beast; I assume that's what the giant round water tank back there is for.

They keep a big water tank to pressure wash the 9 PTC trains in the park one a year? :unsure:

• Like 2

Thanks for getting my attention, @SonofBaconator :P!

In reference to gforce's comment about The Bat queue, I'm not sure what could realistically be put back there as The Bat has such a unique layout. The only thing I could see is an attraction to the left of The Bat's station, near that maintenance road that the ride swoops around. the line could either start at The Bat's current exit or the path (current Bat's queue) that crosses high above the maintence road and ends with that FunTV/ old overflow queue was. Another option could be that a "lower level" could be build for attractions under The Bat, though that may destroy the beauty/serenity of the area. A third option I just thought of would be to severely shrink SOB's old queue (now Wolf Pack's overflow queue) and put a flat in that space. Specifically, I was thinking something like Crows' Nest at Holiday World (and how it complements Thunderbird), but any compact flat (such as an Enterprise or something to that degree) could be put there. However, I think the area would be ok to be left as is and any expansion should be as unobtrusive as possible.

EDIT: Also, @gforce1994, I think the area behind Mondo would be a fantastic place to expand Soak City. I don't know how the terrain is out there, but that would be amazing to have a few slides out there and then have that area connect with the Lazy River area (or even by Zoom Flume, fka Rushing River).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/8/2017 at 4:29 PM, SonofBaconator said:

If we're still talking antique cars

Cars path.png

or

cars extended path.png

I like where you're going with this buddy. I'm on the train that thinks this will be the rebirth of the antique cars. In my opinion, why else would they completely demolish two buildings? To me it just makes sense.

• Like 3

If it were to happen, I'd love to see them retain much of the Tower Gardens area as it is now. It would be quite the experience to cruise by the Carousel, under the tower, etc. It deserves to be more than a glorified smoking area (not an attack on smokers, just the use of the area).

Here's to hoping that this could become something special and not a mediocre, overpriced cafeteria! 

• Like 2