Traumatized by Flight of Fear & also how are Saturday crowds in October?

diamondBanshee011

When I went to KI a while ago, I went with a group that required all of us to stick together at all times, so if you didn't want to ride something well too bad. When it started raining everyone wanted to go do FoF because it's indoors.  I was really scared of the launch (even though I was fine on Maverick and Backlot for some reason) so I was practically crying by the time I sat my butt in the seat. Then the ride op told us to "say ahh" and then all of a sudden boom. Launch. I hated it. The spaghetti bowl (and that last corkscrew...) was amazing, but the launch just... yeah. No more for me. But seeing as I'm going back a few saturdays from now, I would really like to make amends with this ride, but I'm scared that I'll have the same experience as last time. Tips to calm down and stop being scared of this??? I know it's not normal to be scared of launches. Also how are the crowds on October Saturdays? My family already had the trip scheduled, so it's not like I can change it, and fast lanes are out of the question with them... but how long should I expect lines for the big coasters to be? (I don't plan on doing any of the haunt stuff).

also, I am a first time poster, so I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. :)

One thing that may help your fear: as soon as you're situated and have buckled the belt, focus on planting your head against the headrest and holding on to the bar in front of you. That way, no matter how and when they do the launch, you will be "in control" and prepared. It sounds like a lot of what made you fearful was that feeling of a lack of control over your situation, rather than the actual ride itself. 

For the record, I think it really stinks to make anyone feel like they /have/ to ride anything, no matter what. If a group needs to stay together, fine, stand in line together, but when it comes to actual ride time, individuals should have the personal freedom to bow out and wait at the exit. Autonomy is important, especially when it comes to something that is supposed to be fun!

I'm proud of you for not allowing someone else's stupid rule to wreck your enjoyment in the future though, and for facing the thing that scared you. But, if you decide it's still not for you, that's fine also. Different people like different things. 

Saturdays in October will likely be packed, weather dependent. However, once Haunt starts up in the evening, the lines for rides tend to get shorter. So, bonus for you!

And welcome to KIC!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

When you do get that next ride, I recommend getting an odd numbered row as, IMO, they aren't as rough as the even rows. I think that 80% of the time, Flight of Fear is a lot of fun. Then again, it's not for everybody.

Also, Saturdays during Haunt are packed (though I don't know much about the line distribution between mazes and ride lines), but head to FoF first thing if you really want to do it.

• Thanks 1

I don't think I could have said it better than Magenta Lizard!

I also don't agree with the idea of everyone has to ride even if they don't like it. When I chaperoned trips to KI and CP, we would wait in line together and if someone didn't want to ride, we'd walk through and wait for those that did ride. Easy peasy, and everyone was happy and safe. 

But...big kudos to you for being willing to give it another chance! I like to cross my arms on top of the restraint and keep my head back as soon as I see the rides ops move into position. Keep an eye on them and once they give the thumbs up, that is a sign that you will soon be launching. 

I hope your visit is far more fun than the last time!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/17/2017 at 6:09 AM, Magenta Lizard said:

One thing that may help your fear: as soon as you're situated and have buckled the belt, focus on planting your head against the headrest and holding on to the bar in front of you. That way, no matter how and when they do the launch, you will be "in control" and prepared. It sounds like a lot of what made you fearful was that feeling of a lack of control over your situation, rather than the actual ride itself. 

For the record, I think it really stinks to make anyone feel like they /have/ to ride anything, no matter what. If a group needs to stay together, fine, stand in line together, but when it comes to actual ride time, individuals should have the personal freedom to bow out and wait at the exit. Autonomy is important, especially when it comes to something that is supposed to be fun!

I'm proud of you for not allowing someone else's stupid rule to wreck your enjoyment in the future though, and for facing the thing that scared you. But, if you decide it's still not for you, that's fine also. Different people like different things. 

Saturdays in October will likely be packed, weather dependent. However, once Haunt starts up in the evening, the lines for rides tend to get shorter. So, bonus for you!

And welcome to KIC!!

Thank you!!! I do agree that the out-of-control feeling on the ride probably didn't help. Part of me wished the otsrs were still there so I could feel more in control, the other half of me is glad I could get off the ride with my head still intact. :P

• Like 1

3 hours ago, diamonbackandbeastlover said:

I think if you listen for the brakes to release (the sound of the air coming out) about 3 seconds (iirc) after is when it launches if you are scared about the element of surprise not knowing when it will launch. 

That's really nice to know, thank you!

2 hours ago, silver2005 said:

If you're really in tune with your senses, you can even feel and hear the LIM's hum before it launches (not the loud hum, but a softer hum).  Its easier to hear if you're around the first train of the day. 

I'll try that! That is... if I can work up the courage to make FoF my first ride of the day. :P

I have never had a problem with fear of launches, but I have had a fear of coasters when I was younger. I would not ride The Beast when it opened. The only thing I can figure is just the name was intimidating alone. Once I did ride, I was literally hooked for life. Still my all time favorite night time ride at the Island. Also, fear used to really grip me when I was riding The Vortex. The slow trip up the chain lift was always filled with dread knowing that a huge drop awaited me. Plus, that drop always gave me a feeling in my gut that has not been matched since. The only thing that helped in the fear was riding with my mom. By the time FOF came along, I was well versed in coasters and an adrenaline junkie, so the launch was nothing but pure thrill for me.

On a side note, I gotta agree with Magenta. I have never forced my son to ride anything. Talked him into it, yes, but forced, no. Once he rode The Beast, he was hooked as well, especially our night ride. We went to Cedar Point this year and he was not afraid of anything he rode. Millennium Force is the largest he has been able to ride thus far, and he got on with no resistance. Nor did I even have to talk him into it. He's really looking forward to next year as he will be 52" and it will add 6 new coasters for him to ride; Top Thrill Dragster, Steel Vengeance (although 48" requirement), Wicked Twister, Maverick, GateKeeper and Valravn. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...