Vortex new in '83?

gforce1994

This is going to be an interesting topic for sure, but documentation of the announcement of The Vortex, back in 1986, states that the ride was almost built in 83, but the park went with building WWC instead. Since The Bat was still standing in 83, what would the design and location of the original ride would have been? I think it may have been more like Carolina Cyclone, and be placed where King Cobra was later built..

• Like 1

I don't know why he didn't include the article (since I got this from him), but this is what he is referencing:

IMG_5772.JPG

An article in the Cincinnati Enquirer from 5/31/86

specifically these bits:

IMG_5772.JPG

I find that last paragraph interesting as well. Apparently even 30 years ago there was sentiment among some that manufacturers and designers had already "done it all" with coasters. Then, as today, I'm sure the designers, manufacturers, and fans don't even begin to believe it!

• Like 5

Yes, it looks like they were exploring the idea of building a looping coaster from Arrow earlier than 1987.  Keep in mind that King Cobra opened in 1984, so placing the earlier version of the ride there might not have been the location of the ride.

Parks always do guest surveys to help key in on what would be most profitable for them to install.

1 hour ago, Magenta Lizard said:

I don't know why he didn't include the article (since I got this from him), but this is what he is referencing:

IMG_5772.JPG

An article in the Cincinnati Enquirer from 5/31/86

specifically these bits:

IMG_5772.JPG

I find that last paragraph interesting as well. Apparently even 30 years ago there was sentiment among some that manufacturers and designers had already "done it all" with coasters. Then, as today, I'm sure the designers, manufacturers, and fans don't even begin to believe it!

Sorry about not being able to link it. 

In regards to a market not being saturated, I'm still waiting for my inverted wooden AquaTrax from Intamin!

I have heard all of those same things about The Vortex being discounted due to The Bat's failure. Remnants of The Bat still remain. Old footers. The design of the doors under the station that indicate a track from above, as opposed to the one below. It would be an interesting thought as to where it could have gone had it been built prior to '87. Or where it could have been installed had The Bat not been a failure. 

32 minutes ago, KIBeast said:

I have heard all of those same things about The Vortex being discounted due to The Bat's failure. Remnants of The Bat still remain. Old footers. The design of the doors under the station that indicate a track from above, as opposed to the one below. It would be an interesting thought as to where it could have gone had it been built prior to '87. Or where it could have been installed had The Bat not been a failure. 

Or had The Bat not been a failure, would Vortex even exist? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Magenta Lizard said:

IMG_5772.JPG

The Commissioner of the Patent office in 1899 declared that the Patent office should be shut down because "everything that can be invented has been invented"... how wrong he was....and how wrong to think that every type of coaster has been invented!

• Like 4