Pop music back on International Street

BlondyRidesOn

1 hour ago, BlondyRidesOn said:

I noticed that they were playing the park wide music on International Street rather than the classical playlist this weekend. Hopefully it's just this weekend and not a permanent change.

I hope so, too.  That has been a major highlight of this season for me.

• Like 3

I wonder if it had anything to do with the park wide promotional announcements for Winterfest and the Fire and Safety weekend this weekend.  Hopefully the classical music returns to International Street.  That made the park entrance feel majestic, as if entering a Disney park.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CoastersRZ said:

I wonder if it had anything to do with the park wide promotional announcements for Winterfest and the Fire and Safety weekend this weekend.  Hopefully the classical music returns to International Street.  That made the park entrance feel majestic, as if entering a Disney park.

My understanding is that it's here to stay. If you believe that the park should play classical music on I-Street, then I highly recommend contacting the park.  Letting them know what you think is the best way to affect change!

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/help/contact-us

• Like 7

I noticed this morning when I walked into work that the park-wide music was on International Street. I was slightly disappointed as I had not been to the park for 9 days and I was really, REALLY looking forward to hearing the classical music greeting me as I arrived. But without it there, I walked up/down I-Street quickly, looking down and glancing at the fountains only occasionally. I had not realized until today just how much ambiance the classical music adds to the already serene International Street and the Royal Fountains, and I really hope that music is back for Labor Day weekend (because I'm working again on Labor Day! :D).

If the classical music goes, part of I-Street's unique charm goes with it. I actually did not want to spend exorbitant amounts of time taking in the music on I-Street, because...the park-wide music isn't the right music to take in. I now see why fellow KICers have always advocated for classical music on I-Street.

Like many others, I hope this change back to park-wide music is only temporary. VERY temporary.

• Like 6

Unfortunately it looks as if the music is gone for now.

I know the team who put together the music for the update. It was a decision that came from above the gm.

I suggest if you want it back, you contact the park by using the contact us form AND using the hashtag #bringbackIStreetInstrumental

Let's try to bring back the good music!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

So the question is, was Kings Dominion still playing the instrumental music on their International Street this weekend?  

And is there a reasoning behind the decision to switch from the instrumental music to the pop music?  Sounds to me like someone is micromanaging.

Please make sure to voice your opinion to the park directly on how much the music added to the atmosphere of KI and International Street.

• Like 3

I will say this, a couple people I work with complained about the classical music. I felt like I was in the minority of people who enjoyed it whenever I worked on International Street. I agreed with them on the fact it was a bit short and could be repetitive at times (There could have been more classical pieces, like what they played in the 70's and 80's), but it was an improvement when introduced in my opinion, nonetheless. I always found great enjoyment listening to "La Vie En Rose," "Rhapsody In Blue," and the theme to The Reivers by John Williams. This week I tried drowning out the pop music while walking down International Street by humming the "Valdres March" by Johannes Hansen (I remember reading on here that it used to be played on International Street). From what it seemed, though, some guests were very pleased with the classical playlist. A couple of times while working, some guests noticed the David Davidson rendition of Nino Rota's "Speak Softly Love" and instantly recognized it from The Godfather. That was one of the things I appreciated with the playlist; it not only provided a getaway experience and added atmosphere, blending with the fountain, the Tower, and Bruce Bushman's European architecture, but it helped others connect when they hear a familiar cue. Almost everyone knows John Williams' score from ET: The Extra Terrestrial, some recognized "Gusty Garden Galaxy" from Super Mario Galaxy, others picked out Hans Zimmer's "Homeland" and connected it with the film Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron. The theme to The Cider House Rules reminded me of the Pure Michigan commercials. 

Hopefully it returns sometime in the future, perhaps the near future. Only time will tell.

• Like 2

I went to the park on Friday the 25th and was quite shocked to walk in and hear the pop "music" playing on International street. Disappointing really since it was my daughter's first visit to the park this year. I wanted her to hear the difference the actual music made in the atmosphere of International street. It is a shame really. 

This switch definitely sucks, but isn't exactly surprising coming from the same park and company who made the tacky decision to put a fidget spinner stand in Coney Mall.

KI, and Cedar Fair parks in general, are slowly beginning to cater only to the lowest common denominator.

• Like 5

Let me tell you, I'm shocked that people are arguing about the music on the site. There's a very good reason that there was a change, and it's the market KI was aiming for when adding Mystic Timbers, the late teen/college student. 

Remember our GM came from the Restaurant industry. At any restaurant, the music is fitting for the environment. Most of the time, when I first judge a restaurant, I Judge it based off the music I hear from the entrance. A eatery like the one at the top of the Radisson is going to be playing much more classical/calming music than what you will hear at a McDonalds.

That being said, aiming the entry music at the targeted group at KI is pure genius. Let's admit, first impressions are basically what drives our reviews of parks. If someone is going to recommend a park, they're basically going to have to be wowed during the whole experience. 

KI has an issue with attracting college students. We have a great number of families and elders, as well as those above 40. But honestly, what's going to be driving a college student to visit KI. From experience, a college student would rather have a drink, do some urban exploration, or attend a concert rather than visit KI. What KI is trying to appeal to is the college student. The #whatsintheshed campaign was targeted at the college student. Don't believe me, look at the number of urban exploration, hiking, and climbing clubs popping up all over campus across the country. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

So you are comparing a marketing campaign to music played in the park as if they both are driving forces to get college aged students into the park?

Marketing campaigns....yes a way to get people into the park.

Playing Justin Bieber and other top 40 tracks on International Street......not a way to get or reason for people to come to the park.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, chugh43 said:

So you are comparing a marketing campaign to music played in the park as if they both are driving forces to get college aged students into the park?

Marketing campaigns....yes a way to get people into the park.

Playing Justin Bieber and other top 40 tracks on International Street......not a way to get or reason for people to come to the park.

I'm saying it's being used to make the park more attractive for Teenagers/College Students.

Wow, Are you serious?? Do you honestly think that music on IStreet is going to draw college students in?? It is not a genius marketing plan. McDonalds doesn't play music?? People don't come to the park for the music and anyone that thinks so is obviously out of their mind!! If college kids want to be at the park, then they are going to be at the park. Putting pop music at the front gates isn't going to make a college kid say, hey, I think I'm going to come here all the time because they play pop music at the front gate. Will there be advertisement saying, come to the park, we play pop music at the front gate LOL. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Do you or anyone honestly think that if they don't hear pop music when they walk in, is going to make them turn around and leave? Further more, I'm almost 52 years old. I like pop music. I'm a music mixer. I have 2 sons that are college students. The last time we were there, 1 of them said to me, as we were walking in, "I feel like I'm at Disney". He had a huge smile on his face. I then explained how instrumental music just came back to IStreet and they thought it was pretty cool. They are not enthusiasts. They are the general public and they are college students.

57 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

Let me tell you, I'm shocked that people are arguing about the music on the site. There's a very good reason that there was a change, and it's the market KI was aiming for when adding Mystic Timbers, the late teen/college student. 

Remember our GM came from the Restaurant industry. At any restaurant, the music is fitting for the environment. Most of the time, when I first judge a restaurant, I Judge it based off the music I hear from the entrance. A eatery like the one at the top of the Radisson is going to be playing much more classical/calming music than what you will hear at a McDonalds.

That being said, aiming the entry music at the targeted group at KI is pure genius. Let's admit, first impressions are basically what drives our reviews of parks. If someone is going to recommend a park, they're basically going to have to be wowed during the whole experience. 

KI has an issue with attracting college students. We have a great number of families and elders, as well as those above 40. But honestly, what's going to be driving a college student to visit KI. From experience, a college student would rather have a drink, do some urban exploration, or attend a concert rather than visit KI. What KI is trying to appeal to is the college student. The #whatsintheshed campaign was targeted at the college student. Don't believe me, look at the number of urban exploration, hiking, and climbing clubs popping up all over campus across the country. 

• Like 7

I also would like to say the notion that the music that is played on International Street has no impact on whether or not a college age student visits Kings Island.  I think there are enough college age students that visit Kings Island.  

The instrumental music in my opinion is a small touch that makes the park feel like Disney.  I do not like that other than Planet Snoopy, the entire park seems to play the exact same music.  It would be wonderful if each area of the park had a theme to the music that was played.  It can help give that extra piece of atmosphere.  And it helps to make the "Best Day Ever" that Matt Ouimet has championed while at the helm of Cedar Fair.  His logic is that if parents take their kids to KI and they make memories at the park, they will in turn want to take their own kids to the park when they are older to recreate the same fond memories they had of visiting the park when they were kids, thus building continual future, repeat customers.  Music, theming and atosphere are big contributing factors to that.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, BlondyRidesOn said:

Classical music versus pop music has no effect on guest attendance. As someone else mentioned before, nobody is going to stop visiting the park or leave upon arrival just because they play orchestral and instrumental pieces on International Street. 

I wasn't trying to state they had an effect on guest attendance. I was trying to state that Marketing may be catering to the interests of that specific group in order to impress them, therefore creating interest among them. 

• Like 1

The marketing definitely wasn't geared toward college students. Yes they used a hashtag. But I work with high school kids all of the time and they use hashtags like no ones business.

But either way, Mystic Timbers was geared toward families.

All of which has no meaning when it relates to music they play in the park.

• Like 2