Pop music back on International Street

BlondyRidesOn

While very few people would choose whether to visit Kings Island based on the music selection, it certainly impacts the overall park atmosphere. Venues put a lot of thought into what music they play, as getting it right has a measurable effect on how long customers stay and how they feel about their experience. Such factors directly impact sales, return visits, etc.

Many of us, myself included, have enjoyed the majestic atmosphere, better enhanced with classical music than with the latest hits from Taylor Swift and Justin Bieber. Guests should definitely let the park know how they feel, as customer feedback is an important part of their decision making process.

On the topic of International Street ambience, I'd love to see the food and merchandise selection there evolve as well. Walking along International Street this season has put me in the mood for things that simply aren't available for purchase there.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

What a joke. Very disappointed. The beauty of going to places like Kings Island is the aspect of escape, and that's lost with the garbage they play throughout the park. I guess it's just another aspect of Kings Island that's going to feel "cheap" now, amongst many other things. I hope this doesn't spill over to Winterfest. These are the types of decisions that make me lean towards not renewing my gold pass. I've have too many cool trips to Coney Island this year and want to make it to Disneyland soon. Maybe it's time to take my cash elsewhere. 

• Like 2

I feel for gforce - wow did he get slammed and posters quick to discount his opinion.  As with giga's in another thread and a lot of what is discussed on this forum, enthusiasts are typically not the target audience for a park.  Sadly, unless KI comes out with their rationale/business plan behind it, everyone is simply guessing.

Fact of the matter is companies spend lots of time and money on deciding on musical selections and what to play/not play.  Ever been in a Target?   Target used to be against playing music in any of its stores, based partly on a strategy to create a distraction-free shopping experience.  Up until recently, zero Target stores had any background music.  Most still do not.  They are experimenting with it. 

A Target spokesperson informed investors that by the end of the year 180 stores will be not-quite-blasting playlists of music that is “upbeat, positive and has playful personality.”

The music is likely intended to provide customers another unique in-store shopping experience they can’t find at other retailers, analysts say.

Target's Board believes "Everybody is looking for a way to make the customer experience more enjoyable because its becoming less and less about the products and more about the experience.”  Their Board believes background music will add another element to its in-store shopping experience as it attempts to differentiate itself from increased competition from online and other brick and mortar retailers.

Take that statement and apply it to KI...maybe gforce's demographic was off or maybe not, but management believes that pop music selection will drive a demographic to the park and if not with their own money, then money from their parents.  As someone posted, KI has been about pleasing families recently; well now that the young ones are in the park with their families, they are catering to the young demographic for their parents money.

Obviously companies feel that the music played in their establishments do indeed have a correlation as to whether people will frequent their establishment and spend money.  Sometimes analysts and strategies are way off base, but you can be assured they had a justification for the change.  Time will tell..

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

I feel for gforce - wow did he get slammed and posters quick to discount his opinion.  As with giga's in another thread and a lot of what is discussed on this forum, enthusiasts are typically not the target audience for a park.  Sadly, unless KI comes out with their rationale/business plan behind it, everyone is simply guessing.

Fact of the matter is companies spend lots of time and money on deciding on musical selections and what to play/not play.  Ever been in a Target?   Target used to be against playing music in any of its stores, based partly on a strategy to create a distraction-free shopping experience.  Up until recently, zero Target stores had any background music.  Most still do not.  They are experimenting with it. 

A Target spokesperson informed investors that by the end of the year 180 stores will be not-quite-blasting playlists of music that is “upbeat, positive and has playful personality.”

The music is likely intended to provide customers another unique in-store shopping experience they can’t find at other retailers, analysts say.

Target's Board believes "Everybody is looking for a way to make the customer experience more enjoyable because its becoming less and less about the products and more about the experience.”  Their Board believes background music will add another element to its in-store shopping experience as it attempts to differentiate itself from increased competition from online and other brick and mortar retailers.

Take that statement and apply it to KI...maybe gforce's demographic was off or maybe not, but management believes that pop music selection will drive a demographic to the park and if not with their own money, then money from their parents.  As someone posted, KI has been about pleasing families recently; well now that the young ones are in the park with their families, they are catering to the young demographic for their parents money.

Obviously companies feel that the music played in their establishments do indeed have a correlation as to whether people will frequent their establishment and spend money.  Sometimes analysts and strategies are way off base, but you can be assured they had a justification for the change.  Time will tell..

Let's look at the demographics. CP gets 15k OSU students on OSU day (first day of their season), and they are more targeted towards adventurous young adults. KI on the other hand, doesn't get trips often from OSU, even though it's 1.25 hours away (and closer than CP).

I'm sad to hear this news, however could the desion been out of the parks hands? Did they not of the rights to play such music? I'm not sure what's going on but they have to be more to the story that we don't know.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, PKIVortex said:

I'm sad to hear this news, however could the desion been out of the parks hands? Did they not of the rights to play such music? I'm not sure what's going on but they have to be more to the story that we don't know.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Nope, the music was purchased as such to play in the park. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

Let's look at the demographics. CP gets 15k OSU students on OSU day (first day of their season), and they are more targeted towards adventurous young adults. KI on the other hand, doesn't get trips often from OSU, even though it's 1.25 hours away (and closer than CP).

CP and KI are not the same park. CP is in a resort town. KI is not. CP has a Hotel on the property. KI does not. CP has a beach. KI does not. I love KI but the fact is, any teen or college student is going to want to be at CP rather than KI. Recently we went to MA. We loved it there and after posting on FB, we were all slammed about how lame MA is. It's a clean, well kept park. But because it only has 7 coaster, and doesn't offer what most Cedar Fair Parks do, most kids will call it lame. It's the same between CP and KI. Most college student would rather go to CP. What's better than drinking on the beach by a fire pit? Walking the beach at night, live bands on the beach....That's what drives college student to CP. If KI had all that, I'm positive they would have more students. Me personally don't care for CP. It's a big park with a lot of coasters, and I love Maverick, but it doesn't have that feeling that KI has. 

• Like 6

I`ve actually wanted to visit Michigan`s Adventure for quite some time now.  It seems like a very nice, family friendly park.  (I also want to get to Valleyfair).  Those two parks comprise three of the Cedar Fair parks that I have not visited.  California`s Great America being the other.  

Once my son is older, we will be taking him to these parks.  

On the subject of music, what would riding Top Thrill Dragster be, if one did not here "Baby I`m Ready to go" music?  Or hearing the western theme music in line for Maverick?  The experience would certainly be different. 

• Like 5

I enjoyed the instrumental music being brought back this year and hope it returns.  It brought back the majestic and escapist feel that the parks has been lacking for several years.  If I want to hear pop music I can hang a left and walk towards Action Zone.  If you really watch the people sitting around the fountains and the tower for long periods of time it is not generally teens and college kids, it is their parents and grandparents.  

Music is not going to make anyone come to the park but it can really set the mood.  If I had control over what music was played IS would have instrumental, Rivertown would have a Country Western vibe, Coney would be 70-90s, X-base would be alternative, Oktoberfest would be German, and Action Zone would be current pop.

• Like 8

I too have loved the instrumental music. I know that pop music is well, popular but I get so tired of hearing the same songs over and over again. I'm looking at you whip nay nay song. 

I would rather have pleasant background music playing than annoying songs that make me want to get out of the line. 

• Like 3

^ I actually don't mind most of the pop, and truly enjoy a decent number of the songs. But when that song gets to the "stanky leg" part, I suddenly have a strong need to be anywhere else. Fortunately it only seems to play on FunTV, so I can potentially just get out of line, rather than how stuck I'd be if it was park-wide. And it seems to have much reduced rotation, I've only heard it once in the past couple months (I'm at the park open until close a couple times a week usually).

I'm still trying to compose in my head how I want to write the park about the International Street music. I want to really emphasize how much I enjoyed the classical during the first part of the season, how much more attractive it made I-St, etc. I want to downplay my irritation and anger that it was removed, but at the moment that is the more consuming feeling.

It isn't as if there isn't plenty of other pop music at the park. Pop songs are playing from the moment you park in the lot, wait outside the gates, wait to see a show, wait in line, walk around in nearly every other part of the park sans Planet Snoopy. The same songs are playing everywhere except a few spots that I worry will have disappeared along with classical on I-Street (mariachi outside Hanks, KI Radio in Racer's station). So, even if the argument is that pop music appeals to certain demographics: so what? They can still listen to it one of the many places it is playing. I hate a lot of the songs in Planet Snoopy, but I have never lodged a complaint. Because it isn't meant to appeal to me. Everything isn't for everyone. It doesn't have to be. And if the park can appeal to neglected demographics in a way the chosen few are likely to barely notice, why on Earth rip it away?!

• Like 6

I'm going to confess something that I could only discuss here, because many will understand.  I am legit stressed about this!  The music has been a KI highlight for me this year.  I selfishly want IS to stand out.  I do hope the person/people who is/are responsible for the decision reconsider.

• Like 6

Unfortunately, yes. I went to Guest Services, where the people there were just talking about it! I am definitely not the only one who has expressed concern for the music, as they have fielded a number of other guest comments about the absence of the classical music that belongs on International Street. The Guest Services people also don't know why the music was switched, but one thing is for certain: we all miss it. :( 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, VortexBFForever said:

Unfortunately, yes. I went to Guest Services, where the people there were just talking about it! I am definitely not the only one who has expressed concern for the music, as they have fielded a number of other guest comments about the absence of the classical music that belongs on International Street. The Guest Services people also don't know why the music was switched, but one thing is for certain: we all miss it. :( 

I stopped by Guest Services last night and asked the guy working, "Where's the petition we need to sign to bring back the old I-Street movie music?"

He laughed and said he missed it too. He also said they'd already had "many" (his words, not mine) complaints and comments since they made the change 2 weeks ago.  He also said he would pass along that he's getting a lot of comments about it, most of them about bringing back the old music.

At least the front line employees are aware that people want it back.  

• Like 7

On 8/29/2017 at 9:04 AM, Magenta Lizard said:

I'm still trying to compose in my head how I want to write the park about the International Street music. I want to really emphasize how much I enjoyed the classical during the first part of the season, how much more attractive it made I-St, etc. I want to downplay my irritation and anger that it was removed, but at the moment that is the more consuming feeling.

I completely agree with this statement.  It's such a small change but really diminishes the appeal of I-Street.  I've been struggling with the appropriate tone of my correspondence to the park as well.

My wife and I are a regular everyday married, no children couple.  Neither of us possess any (known) superpowers.  That being said, I cannot express how glorious it is to walk through the gates and come upon the fountains, sunset at your back, to hear the opening drum cadence of Fanfare for the Common Man.

Truly one of my most memorable KI experiences.  I hope they reconsider their decision.

• Like 3

The best thing any of us can do is complain.  Let management know that you prefer instrumental music on I street and it's possible something might change.  I plan on writing a letter to the park because it is harder to ignore and I feel like it makes a larger impact.

Personally I really enjoyed the change to instrumental music it gave the area a different feel from the rest of the park.  The biggest problem is that none of us know who or why the decision was made.

• Like 2

Some know who, others upon learning who, have strong suspicions of the why. However due to forum rules it is unable to be discussed here. 

I definitely think you are right to write an actual letter. This is one of very few cases I doubt you will get a satisfactory response from Guest Services. They do their jobs very well when their hands aren't tied, but there is really nothing they can personally do in this situation except possibly log your complaint, and from what I've been hearing from friends I'm not so sure that little bit is actually being done. It sounds like they may be poised to just give you whatever answer they think will send you away happy, considering the wide range of conflicting responses I've heard people were given when they stopped in.

Put it in writing, either through the web form or in a posted letter. 

• Like 2

@Mrs. No Chickens was told on Saturday evening by an associate in guest services that the music was turned off for Haunt and that it'd be back for next season.....not too long after I voiced my concern at Guest Services (with no such information). Totally blowing smoke up Mrs. No Chicken's back....yes please voice your concern in writing whether it be the contact us form on the website or an actual letter.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chugh43 said:

@Mrs. No Chickens was told on Saturday evening by an associate in guest services that the music was turned off for Haunt and that it'd be back for next season.....not too long after I voiced my concern at Guest Services (with no such information). Totally blowing smoke up Mrs. No Chicken's back....yes please voice your concern in writing whether it be the contact us form on the website or an actual letter.

I hope it is back. I understand why it wouldn't for Haunt. I still think they could still play it on Sundays.

• Like 4

I hope they are able to play it for when the park is operating normally and then just switch it to whatever plays for Haunt when 6 p.m. rolls around...(except for Sunday which is just normal operation all day, no switching required)

...if not, then I am glad I took extra time to take in the wonderful music while enjoying some Cinnabon back on August 13. I already miss it. 

• Like 1