Another incident involoving Dragster!

Recently an incident on Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point. It appears that the catch car collided with the magnetic brakes, destroying a part of the ride. As many know, the coaster has developed a bad wrap due to its EXTREME amounts of downtime.  This can't help Intamin's already fractured relationship Cedar Fair. 

Top-Thrill-Dragster-2017-Cedar-Point-004

Top-Thrill-Dragster-2017-Cedar-Point-001

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I am sure that they'll try to get it open asap if they have the parts available. It sucks when a major ride like TTD has the possibility to be down for the rest of the season. Is this similar to what happened at Knott's with Xcelerator or was that something majorly different..?

• Like 1

^
I hate to bear bad-ish news, but apparently this was while the ride was open with people on it. Thankfully in good news, no injuries. Though due to the damage done the ride may well be closed until next season from what I am hearing.

Edit: Missed that post #1 also confirms the ride being closed. Sorry, brain fart! :P

• Like 2

^
Kings Island has more than one Intamin. Off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure they made all of these:

Eiffel Tower

White Water Canyon

Viking Fury

Congo Falls

Drop Tower: Scream Zone

...and there may be more smaller rides I just am forgetting/not thinking about.

Oddly enough, I am finding no news of a TTD accident on any site other than this one. No link to any articles. No news report either, which is strange as the media usually jumps on this kind of thing. Nothing on Screamscape or Coasterbuzz or any mention of it on Cedar Point's web site. No disrespect, but just curious as to why this is unreported as of now. When I click on the pic in the quote, it takes me to a web page. When I click on the thread about TTD, it comes up as unavailable. 

Edit** The only place I can find any information is on Pointbuzz, and folks there are a bit skeptical about the validity of the claim. However, some have said they saw maintenance men working on the track.

I've seen a couple of "news" websites created by some fanboys who claim the ride to be down for the rest of the season based on what they've seen and what they interpret. 

It's not uncommon for maintenance men to be working on a ride, especially if the ride is down, they are working on something, and/or observing something. 

People want to be the first to break the "news" that really isn't news.

• Like 2

Yeah, there are some pics that got leaked. The brake fins were damaged in some capacity on the launch run. But I'm not going to speculate as to what happened or what caused it. The ride broke, the safety systems in place worked just as they should and the worst thing is some people were inconvenienced.

Something to mention is that even when the ride malfunctioned people were still safe. There are tons of redundancies designed into these things to make sure even in un-thought of circumstances people are safe.

• Like 4

The brake fins which were damaged have nothing to do with the train.  The catch car has its own set of brake fins because just like the train it is going 120+ MPH.  The issue appears to be a misalignment caused the catch car to slam into the fins.

Downtime is going to likely be based on part availability.  Which is why Kingda Ka had the long downtime, they did not have enough brake fins and had to order more.

• Like 1