Can you tell me about these coasters?

Thunder21

1. What's the best amusement park you have been too?
  2. What's the best wood and steel coaster you have ever been on?
  3. Ever been on flight commander spinning ride at Kings Island in the 1990s? If you have how was it? 
  4. Have you ever been on Son of Beast coaster with and without the loop at Kings Island back in the day? If you have was it better or on par with The Beast coaster and mean streak? Was son of Beast really rough? Was it the roughest coaster you have ever been on?
  5. What's the roughest wood and steel coaster you have ever been on? 
  6. What are the top five worst steel/wood coasters have you ever been on even if they are defunct? 
  7. Which five coasters had the most headbanging and painful coasters you have ever been on?
  • Like 1

1. Cedar Point if I want coasters, Kings Island if I want anything else. Only ever been to Six Flags Atlanta and I didn't care for it.

2. Beast and Diamondback

3. I rode it once before I ever went "up-side-down" on a coaster. I essentially just made the car go up and down. It was earlier in the year it got shut down actually

4. I rode with and without the loop. It was stupidly rough, it really wasn't enjoyable actually. It was all speed on a wooden coaster, so super bumpy. They tried to recreate the double roundabout from The Beast but BIGGER and it was just a horizontal G disaster.

5. Son of Beast and Vortex back seat

6. I don't dislike pretty much any coaster other than Son of Beast for the ride. I hate Firehawk though, but that is because I don't like the feeling of falling, and Firehawk putting me in what feels like a suplex into the ground is unpleasant.

7. Vortex backseat when I wasn't tall enough to get my ears above the shoulder restraints. I pretty much just smashed my head left and right into old hard rubber the entire ride.

• Like 2

It looks like you accidentally posted this 4 times in different subforums; I removed the duplicate threads.

I'm a big fan of historical parks, so I might say Knoebel's if I had to name a best park. For wood and steel, El Toro and Wicked Cyclone, with the latter likely to be replaced by Steel Vengeance. I sadly didn't ride Flight Commander or Son of Beast. The roughest wooden coaster ride I've taken was a ride in the back row of Mean Streak in the 2014 season.

I don't rank worst rides, but there's not much to like about Apocalypse: The Last Stand at Six Flags America (formerly Iron Wolf at SFGAm). That ride has plenty of headbanging, and I didn't find it very thrilling. Hurler (at Carowinds and formerly King Dominion) would be one of my least favorite woodens. It's rough, and the layout provides little in the way of airtime, laterals, or anything else fun. Twisted Timbers looks to be a great addition, though!

• Like 1

1. For me, it's Knoebels, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Six Flags Great Adventure, or Disney's Animal Kingdom. (I'm more of a theming guy, myself.)

2. For wood, Boss at Six Flags St. Louis. For steel, Verbolten at Busch Gardens Williamsburg.

3. Nope. That ride was a little before my time.

4. With the loop, no. Without the loop, yes. It was a interesting and unique idea, but the ride experience was not what I'd call enjoyable, maybe outside of the big drop. I would put Son of Beast well below Beast OR Mean Streak in terms of enjoyableness. I've had plenty of good Beast rides and a handful of alright Mean Streak rides, but I can literally only ever remember enjoying Son of Beast ONCE, after a particularly wet day. It's one of two wooden roller coasters I've ridden that was so rough that it made my chest hurt afterward. (The other was Boardwalk Bullet at Kemah Boardwalk.) Yes, it is the roughest coaster I've ever ridden.

5. For wood, Son of Beast. For steel... probably Sidewinder at Hersheypark?

6. In order of increasing terribleness: for wood, Rebel Yell (Kings Dominion), Mighty Canadian Minebuster (Canada's Wonderland), Wildcat (Hersheypark), Gwazi (Busch Gardens Tampa), and Son of Beast. For steel, Time Warp (Canada's Wonderland), Sidewinder (Hersheypark), Goliath (Six Flags New England), Mind Eraser (Six Flags America), and Apocalypse (Six Flags America).

7. I mean, you can probably just pick your favorites out of the list for answer # 6. I generally only dislike coasters if they're painful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thunder21 said:
  3. Ever been on flight commander spinning ride at Kings Island in the 1990s? If you have how was it? 
  4. Have you ever been on Son of Beast coaster with and without the loop at Kings Island back in the day? If you have was it better or on par with The Beast coaster and mean streak? Was Son of Beast really rough? Was it the roughest coaster you have ever been on?
  6. What are the top five worst steel/wood coasters have you ever been on even if they are defunct? 
  7. Which five coasters had the most headbanging and painful coasters you have ever been on?

First, let me welcome you to KIC; we are an awesome community of people who love theme parks, especially Kings Island.

Next, in answer to your questions:

1. As much as I love Kings Island, when I went to Hersheypark 2 years ago, that was so much fun. It had it all: a theme park with some awesome coasters, a waterpark, and even a mini-zoo. So yeah, Hershey wins in my book.

2. Favorite wood: Lightning Racer at Hersheypark- that was probably one of the single most fun coasters I've ever been on. Pro Tip: IMO, Lightning (on the right of the station) is better. Also, ride in the back! Favorite Steel: Maverick at Cedar Point. That coaster is just insane, what with the airtime and abrupt transitions. The 2 inversions just feel like filler.

3. No, I was too young. However, I know there were a few attractions that took it's place, like the Eurobungy, Eurobubbles and the Dinosaurs Alive party plaza area.

4. Yes, I have. It was much better with the loop. And was it better than The Beast? Not really sure, however, The Beast's helix finale (especially the outdoor portion) gives me good flashbacks to my times riding Son of Beast as it had this huge helix on the far end called the Rose Bowl. Speaking of the Rosebowl, that was probably the roughest part. Also, Mean Streak was worse than SOB on its roughest days.

5. Wood: Mean Streak (see question #6).

6. Don't know if I have a top 5, but Skyrush at Hershey and Wild Mouse at Dorney were pretty bad (come at me bro lol). In all seriousness, Skyrush looks great, but it's not worth the hype as the restraints really crush your legs and thighs. And Wild Mouse at Hershey was just a disaster- rough and painful transitions everywhere! As for wood, I'd easily say Mean Streak, especially this one time where it jackhammered (was really rough) really bad on the way up from the first drop and I was lucky to be alive. The Racer (at Kings Island) has also gotten rougher over the years, but that's nothing compared to Mean Streak. It was lumberingly slow on its best days and super rough on its worst.

7. Wild Mouse at Hershey, see above.

EDIT: Thank you @malem for reminding me about the painfulness of Iron Wolf. Yeah, that might be a better answer for #7. That was probably the most headbanger coaster I've been on (but to be fair, I think I was closer to the back); thank goodness it was (sorta) put out of its misery.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2017 at 7:25 AM, Thunder21 said:
  4. Have you ever been on Son of Beast coaster with and without the loop at Kings Island back in the day? If you have was it better or on par with The Beast coaster and mean streak? Was Son of Beast really rough? Was it the roughest coaster you have ever been on?

I am new here, but I love amusement parks. 

1. Knoebels is probably my favorite park. Sentimental reasons probably overshadow other parks. My husband proposed to me at Knoebels on the carousel, first kiss there too.  (I love carousels). There's just something awesome about that park, to me it's magical. It's beautiful. Excellent ride selection, too. Hershey is a close second. 

2. Best wooden is Phoenix.   Steel, possibly  Fury 325, but I love Banshee, New Texas Giant (steel?!) and Maverick.

3. Nope. I wish I could have. My mom makes it sound like it was fun. 

4. Rode with and without the loop. It beat the tar out of you. Worse than Mean Streak by far. Was not a fan of it at all. 

5. Mean Streak, Texas Giant before RMC got hold of it, SOB or Voyage at Holiday World (in all honesty I am not a fan of any wooden coaster at Holiday World-I am positive this will not be a popular response. My husband absolutely loves them and that park so we go a few times a year.) Steel- Vortex, Invertigo or Skyrush. 

6. Most of the ones mentioned in 5 would be the same. The ones at Holiday World would be my 3 least favorite.

7. At 5 ft tall with shoes on, any coaster with restraints like Vortex are awful. I can't push myself up high enough to keep my head from banging. Taking my kids on the Great Pumpkin or whatever it's called at Kings Island makes me not so thrilled they are tall enough to ride it because it's painful. 

• Like 1

I can only answer a few of these questions...

1. Kings Island, I haven't made it to CP yet but hope to next year.

2. For a Wooden Coaster Lighting Rod is the best coaster I have been overall, The ejector on that thing is unreal. For Steel I guess I would have to say Diamondback, again I haven't been to many parks yet.

3. N/A

4.N/A

5. For Wooden Thunderhead at Dollywood that thing REALLY shooked me up, Again I'm pretty spoiled, most of the Wooden Coasters at KI or somewhat smooth/ For Steel its Vortex, that ride almost broke my head open the first time I got on it.

6. Really have no answer for this one

7. Invertigo is bearly manageable, but Vortex is always good at knocking my head around especially 7-1, Going into the Batwing on 7-1 is the worst thing I have ever experienced on a coaster. 5-1 is meh (not bad but not good) but I haven't technically got a full ride on it yet. Long story short, I got on the ride and it broke down on the MCBR and we had to get off the ride. 

• Like 1

On 10/4/2017 at 7:25 AM, Thunder21 said:

1. Dollywood- It has the best combination of things that make a good park- great ride selection, great staff, great food, stellar shows, has some nice things like crafts and wildlife areas, its in a beautiful location that is also awesome with so much to do around it

2. Favorite wood- Legend-  a good mix of good air time, laterals, a good length that matches the intensity and pacing, a great bang-bang ending

Favorite steel- Magnum XL-200- the Ron Toomer transitions and sharply angled hills on the way back give it a bit of character that the smoother B&M's and Intamins can't really deliver, I love its location on the beach, good speed and incredible air time

3. Even if I weren't afraid of most of the rides at KI back then, I was too short for Flight Commander at the time of its short tenure

4. I've been on both incarnations of Son of Beast.  Beast and Mean Streak were better.  I only rode it in the front two seats and it got worse and worse each year.  It was a better ride with the Premier trains and the loop, the G-trains were a terrible choice for replacement trains, SOB circa 2007-2009 is the roughest coaster I've been on

5. Aforementioned SOB for roughest woodie, NJFTP's former Togo looping coaster Viper gets the award for the roughest steel coaster I've done

6. Top 5 wood- Legend, Beast, Thunderhead, Lightning Racer, Mystic Timbers

Top 5 Steel- Magnum XL-200, Diamondback, Millennium Force, Banshee, Rougarou

7. Worst head banging on coasters I've ridden- Invertigo, NJFTP's Viper, Flight of Fear when it had OTSR's, Shockwave (KD), CP's Corkscrew

• Like 1

1. Disneyland
  2. Wood - Voyage, Steel  - Montu
  3. I rode it a few times.  Never went upside down only up and down.  To board you walked up through the center of the ride and doors opend out to your pod.  The restraints were very restrictive with a sholder harness and lap bar.  The contol stick was in between the w riders.
  4. I did ride SOB with and wthout the loop.  Opening day of the ride it was smooth as glass but never again after that.  Extremely rough especially in the rose bowl with or without the loop.  The first drop was great but aweful after that with no airtime.  It never lived up to The Beast.  Mean Streak was also really rough with no airtime.   Probably the roughest coaster i have been on.  The original trains were also pretty aweful.
  5. Wood - SOB, steel - Corkscrew at Cedar Point
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, silver2005 said:

6. Top 5 wood- Legend, Beast, Thunderhead, Lightning Racer, Mystic Timbers

Top 5 Steel- Magnum XL-200, Diamondback, Millennium Force, Banshee, Rougarou

I think you misread the question. #6 asks for your top 5 WORST (not best) coasters. You listed Legend and Magnum as favorites, so...

• Like 1