Gold Star acquires Tom + Chee, what could this mean for the location at Kings Island?

BoddaH1994

Tom + Chee, the Cincinnati-based grilled cheese restaurant chain, has been acquired by Gold Star Chili. The local chili company bought the assets of Tom + Chee from their lender, finalizing the deal on Sept. 20. 

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/entertainment/dining/2017/10/09/gold-star-chili-acquires-tom-chee/747165001/

A location of Tom + Chee was added to Kings Island about a year ago.  I wouldn't doubt if the park has an exclusive contract with Skyline.  How do you think this competitor's acquisition could affect the current in-park location?

• Like 4

This brand certainly gives them growth potential beyond the tri-state area.
I doubt current contracts are affected. They're still separate brands, and Tom+Chee doesn't serve chili.

Not yet..... to be continued

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I really hope this acquisition doesn't spell the end for the KI location of Tom + Chee. I mean, Chic-Fil-A and Chicken Shack co-exist; why can't Skyline and (Gold Star owned) Tom + Chee? Tom + Chee always does a fantastic job making my Grilled Cheese just the way I like it (Classic, lightly toasted) and keeps it real unlike some places (*cough* Bob Evans *cough*). It would be a huge loss for me to see them go, but there's still LaRosas, Chicken Shack, Subway and Smokehouse...

• Like 2

Nothing I have heard so far suggests there will be any conflict between the two.  It sounds like Gold Star plans on operating Tom + Chee restaurants as a separate chain.  At the store level it sounds like the biggest changes might be a revamped menu.  I am not expecting this to have any effect except for possibly a new menu at Kings Island.

It sounds like they want this to be similar to how KFC, Taco Bell, and Pizza Hut all have the same parent company.

• Like 3

As far as Tom + Chee outside Kings Island, is the quality of food better? I found out a few weeks ago Larosa's outside the park tastes nothing like it does at Kings Island.

Inside the park Tom + Chee it's mediocre at best. We bought grilled cheese off of a food truck one night and it was far more impressive than Tom + Chee. Maybe they can open up the space that Tom + Chee has to vacate. the food trucks are surprisingly a great addition. (Unless it's a park owned food truck?)

If Kings Island had an agreement with Skyline, wouldn't they likely have one with Tom + Chee? Looks like they would have to honor a standing contract at least to a point. I suppose if the actual owner changed then it could void the contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1