Coasterstock 2018

JubJester

Coasterstock 2018 was just confirmed by Don Helbig via an interview he had on YouTube (Coaster Nation):

He talks a bit about it at 3:00 mark in the video. I'm excited, and hopefully there will be some new things added this year.

He did mention they want to add some more behind the scenes tours for next year.

• Like 8

This is my first season back to the park after a long hiatus, and I joined KIC less than 6 months ago.  After reading up a bit on the KI website, I'm seeing you have to be a part of an enthusiast group to attend Coasterstock?  Can someone school me in how to start and/or benefits of joining various groups?  If there is an existing thread, by all means point me in that direction.  Feel free to DM me with any knowledge you care to impart.

Teach me, sensei(s).

whenGodsaysgo, new in town, but a quick learner. ;)

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I would look at the list of enthusiasts groups and look at their website. Look at cost, their events, and then decide which one is right for you. The most common is ACE/GOCC/Coaster Crew.

Sure, I had planned on it.  I was more so seeking any personal experiences or opinions as to which may be better.  I'll look into it.  Thank you :)

• Like 3

My boys don't do well with marathoning coasters during ERT so I have not joined one.  If your primary goal is for Coasterstock admission, GOCC or Coaster Crew had a fairly reasonable family membership.   Make sure you join in plenty of time to get your credentials before the event.

@chugh43 is probably a good person to ask about them.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, whengodsaysgo said:

This is my first season back to the park after a long hiatus, and I joined KIC less than 6 months ago.  After reading up a bit on the KI website, I'm seeing you have to be a part of an enthusiast group to attend Coasterstock?  Can someone school me in how to start and/or benefits of joining various groups?  If there is an existing thread, by all means point me in that direction.  Feel free to DM me with any knowledge you care to impart.

Teach me, sensei(s).

whenGodsaysgo, new in town, but a quick learner. ;)

Here's a few existing threads on the topic:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Coaster Crew is affordable, $25 for the first membership, with adding an additional person in your family for $10. 

Memberships are valid for park held events such as Holiwood Nights at Holiday World and CoasterStock at Kings Island. Each year we have various discounts around the country for different parks, attractions, etc. 

Coaster Crew is one of the most inclusive groups I've seen and been a part of. 

If you decide not to go with Coaster Crew, I would suggest GOCC. If you have any other questions about Coaster Crew, feel free to PM me.

• Like 7

I originally joined Coaster Crew just so I could go to the first Coasterstock, because they were the least expensive option at that time. Since then, I have enjoyed being a member, and I have continued to participate in some of their other events and keep renewing each year. They are a very friendly club, and, I think in part because of their smaller size, they are very responsive to individual members. I am very happy it was the first coaster club I joined, and I can recommend it.

ACE is among the oldest (if not the oldest of the) clubs, so it has the benefits of being well-established. I have occasionally heard complaints about the elitist attitude of some of its members, and encountered some small difficulties in that vein myself. However, if you want a club that is going to be invited or welcomed to the most events, it is definitely the one to join. I recently joined it in addition to Coaster Crew.

I hear good things about GOCC, and I keep an eye on their Facebook. I will probably eventually join them as well.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, chugh43 said:

Coaster Crew is affordable, $25 for the first membership, with adding an additional person in your family for $10. 

Memberships are valid for park held events such as Holiwood Nights at Holiday World and CoasterStock at Kings Island. Each year we have various discounts around the country for different parks, attractions, etc. 

Coaster Crew is one of the most inclusive groups I've seen and been a part of. 

If you decide not to go with Coaster Crew, I would suggest GOCC. If you have any other questions about Coaster Crew, feel free to PM me.

My husband and I were looking into joining a coaster club and didn’t realize there was more than ACE which really is not in our budget at the moment. Coaster Crew seems far more reasonable. Is the membership good for one year or per event? I am guessing annual plus pay the event? So we could join Coaster Crew and do the two events we plan to next year, Coasterstock and Coastermania? 

• Like 3

Ellie, Coaster Crew has not been invited to Coastermania for the last couple of years. Cedar Point does not recognize them for this event.

Remember, you get what you pay for. My ACE membership is more expensive, but there are way more perks and events than the other clubs. I have not experienced any elitist attitudes from any ACE members I’ve met. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I believe GOCC are accepted at both Coasterstock and Coastermania, and they are only $25 for a couple membership, $30 for family (up to 6).  Exceedingly reasonable for your first foray into a coaster club, and like I said, I've heard good things. 

Seeing a single membership is only $20, I think I'm going to go ahead and join them myself. Never hurts to support these orgs. 

• Like 4

The Mr and I had talked about Holliwood Nights because he loves that place so much. I will talk to him and see what he says. Knowing him he will opt for Holiday World over Cedar Point.

Why was Coastermania disappointing or is that not appropriate to ask?  What’s so great about Holliwood Nights? Is Coasterstock fun if you go several times a year? We’ve gone to a lot of parks over the years, but never even considered joining a club until a few weeks ago. 

• Like 3

Probably depends upon the kid.   I know when I was was a tot and my aunts and uncles took me to SFSTL every summer I cried when I wasn't tall enough to ride and some of them got on,   I cried a lot and remember it.   Actually tantrum would probably be the better word.   Yep, I was one of those kids, who liked to make everyone miserable along with me.  

• Like 2

I'd just like to chime in and say that you have good and bad in all coaster groups, just as in "real life."  I'm in ACE and might eventually join the Coaster Crew, too.  The reason I chose ACE was because I like history and ACE has a large focus on history.

At my first and (THE First) Coasterstock, I met a couple of new friends who are in TPR.  Nicest people ever and some of my closest coaster  friends.  And they are nothing at all like Bob Avery! ;)  

While there are outliers, I've found that at events like Coasterstock, you can have diverse groups of people who would normally never agree on anything, but when at an enthusiast event, those things fall to the wayside.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ellie said:

I am going to guess that younger children would not be too entertained? They’d be almost 4 and two almost 3. 

It totally depends on your kids as I've seen kids of all ages at Coasterstock. The ERT is typically the larger rides but they've included some Planet Snoopy rides (normally ones that adults can ride).

But I would keep in mind that the hours are long and some events may not interest them. You may have pick and choose experiences and build in breaks from the park. I took my oldest nephew to the first one when he was 13. As much energy as he had, he had to take a nap in the car the one day and couldn't stay awake for the train tour (he sat by my feet and fell asleep). He loved it but was so tired by the end of the second day, we did one ride for each ride during ERT and headed home. 

• Like 6

I know we can’t generally make it all day at Kings Island without a major meltdown by one (all). Myself included. It sounds more like it’s a better to wait for them to experience because they have so much energy. 

Advantage would be not needing a hotel for the event so the cost would be minimal. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1