Cedar Point changes for 2018

https://www.cedarpoint.com/blog/a-few-changes-to-discuss

It seems as if Sandcastle Suites and the All Wheels Extreme Stadium are being reduced to rubble.  

The All Wheels Extreme Stadium is part of the expanding the beach boardwalk (and to be honest it was ugly lol). 

Sandcastle Suites in my observations didn't have a lot of folks staying there and from what I have heard it's been a crappy hotel with bad reviews including dirty rooms, pools not kept up well, etc.

• Like 5

On 10/24/2017 at 3:23 PM, jcgoble3 said:

I really hope they don't completely get rid of the All Wheels Extreme show. I enjoy that show every time I'm up there.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that it will be moved elsewhere. From what I understand, that show is really popular and CP knows this. I think that this was a great idea. They already got rid of the other eyesore when Disaster Transport was demolished. When I get in line for Wicked Twister, it always feels real cramped for space in that area. Take out the stadium and you have a great view.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have several friends that went to the KI campground and made a weekend out of going to KI. Now those people only do day trips once a year without the campground. That is just handful of people that have talked to me about it. I can't imagine how many other families are in the same boat and KI losing those multi day tickets without a campground. I know I would spend more muti day trips to the park with a cheap campground on the grounds or within a mile.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, JubJester said:

In one of the renderings there seems to be a good amount of extra room behind the new RV spots. I wonder what they will do there.

Hopefully tent sites.

jcgoble3, not a fan of roughing it but more than willing to do so when it saves enough money

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I have several friends that went to the KI campground and made a weekend out of going to KI. Now those people only do day trips once a year without the campground. That is just handful of people that have talked to me about it. I can't imagine how many other families are in the same boat and KI losing those multi day tickets without a campground. I know I would spend more muti day trips to the park with a cheap campground on the grounds or within a mile.

I totally agree. I know of some families who used to do this long ago as well. We camp quite a bit as a family, I think it would be awesome if they did this. Just a simple campground with a couple nice shower houses...I think it would be cool if they built one close enough to the park that you could hear the rides and such. One can wish! 

• Like 2

I have often wanted to camp near CP or  KI rather than drive home after a long day but the economics of it don’t really work out well.  Most commercial campgrounds are at least $25-$30 now per tent even for a primitive site and I can’t find any close enough to the park.  A cheap motel can usually be found for $50-60.  

There probably isn’t enough money to be made by the park at those rates so if anything they would go the glampground route as there are more services they can charge for.  

As BSA members we could stay for free at Camp Freidlander which is only 13 miles away but you have to hike it in from the lot and that I am not interested in that after a full day at KI.

• Like 2

I know this is the Cedar Point thread, but there's plenty of room for KI in those woods between GWL, the main parking lot and The Bat to create camping spaces, and if CF sees the newly created campground is at capacity most weekends, they could expand the campground just across Columbia Rd into the great swath of forest that lies between the landscaping greenhouse and The Bat's first drop. They could even copy CP and make an additional park entrance specifically for the campers back there for ERT an such.

I dunno, seems as if they are missing out on revenue since losing the campground to GWL. TBH, I'm not sure the lodge does that well since it's priced well above what most families can afford anyway. I could be wrong and don't have the numbers to back it up but there's something to be said for camping outdoors with family in the summer time as opposed to being cooped (sp) up inside a lodge (unless its dead of winter)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Tony Clark during the special presentation did mention the land still unused behind the new RV sites. Will be interesting what they do.

The marketing team also showed us a really cool commercial that reminds me Disney ads or Univeral you would see on TV. It seems like they want people to know there's more than just roller coasters there (Ex. the beach). 

The food options they showed off during the new presentation looks great (nearly all of them coming to a revamped FrontierTown, which is entering it's 50th season). They are turning the Coca-Cola station near Matterhorn and the Sky Ride into a cotton candy stand with 12 (possibly more) flavors and toppings apparently. They don't have a name for the stand so Tony Clark called it something to the lines of "Crazy Cotton Candy Stand 1" (RCT reference).

• Like 3