Cold Front coming. High of 44 degrees Sat & Sun.

Blackie

A nasty cold front appears to be coming and weather.com forecast the high temps for Saturday and Sunday to be 44 degrees.  The lowest temp that steel coasters can operate at is 45 degrees.  I was planning on attending the "last rides of the season" this Sunday and using my free Last Lane Plus ticket that day.  It's looking like I'll have to cancel that trip.  I did email Kings Island and politely requested that all Fast Lane Plus tickets be honored this Friday due to the freezout.  I doubt it will happen, but I've wasted 10 minutes of my time on worse things before, so it's worth a shot.  I would honestly be surprised to get a return email before opening on Friday.  I might call them tomorrow afternoon if I haven't heard from them by then.  I know they're not responsible for acts of nature and I'm sure they're gonna lose money those two days, if they even open.  

Can anyone offer any advice on how to handle this better?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 3

It looks like we are, indeed, in for a cold weekend. The current highs on Saturday and Sunday are 51° and 49°, respectively, according to the National Weather Service.  Vortex, The Bat and Adventure Express have the highest minimum operating temperature of the coasters, needing it to be at least 45° to start operating. Those might not open right away (or at all, if it stays below that threshold).

The coldest day I've ever visited the park was November 1, 2014, when the afternoon high was approximately 36°. The Beast, The Racer & Woodstock Express were open all day, even when it dipped to 27° late that night. The steel coasters were indeed closed that day. Luckily, this Sunday looks to be a tad warmer than that.

The free Fast Lane Plus was valid any Sunday this fall, so I wouldn't expect the park to add another day to use it. KI will be open on Sunday, so you can still come and use it if you don't mind the chilly temperatures. You might see some of us if you go that day; we always do a big KIC "Closing Day" meetup on the last day of the fall season.

• Like 2

Thanks for the response.  I don't expect them to add Friday, so I wouldn't be disappointed in the least.  A closing day meetup???  I might just show up for that alone.  I've been lurking for many years now.  I would be more active within the community had I not had an unpleasant experience with The Interpretor several years back.  He doesn't appear to be very active anymore, so I may to contribute more often.  Meeting some of you would certainly help my comfort level. 

If my snowball doesn't burn and they add Friday, I'll post a new topic for it.  If not, (which is exactly what I expect and is fair) I'll confirm it in this thread.   

Thanks again malem.

• Like 2

Wow!  You guys are quick.  I'll be there rain, shine or snowing.  As expected, KI will not be adding Friday to the list.  Totally understandable.  I am very impressed with how quickly they responded.  I'm sure the crowd will be very light, so I doubt using the Fast Lane Plus will be necessary.

Thanks for the link malem. 

I'm not put off by the term "off-season".  It just means we had another good season and at least one more to look forward to.  Considering how CF has been heavily investing in their parks, it makes another season that much sweeter to look forward to.  My son will be well past the 48" barrier next season and he is already a full blown ride warrior.          2018 will most likely be my best seaon yet. 

Thanks for the quick and insightful responses.  I'll see you on Sunday.    

• Like 5

I've lost the link, but at least one Cincinnati meteorologist posted a graphic on Facebook saying that some models are showing a chance for some wet snow Saturday morning. So be prepared for the possibility of snow on the ground that morning, and take your time getting to the park. Better to miss ERT than end up in a ditch somewhere (or worse).

• Like 1

^ Saturday night/Sunday morning, I think you mean. If it looks like flurries before close on Saturday, I would be tempted to drive down early for an attempt at a Beast snow ride.

Here's the latest NWS forecast as of 8pm this evening:

Friday
Partly sunny, with a high near 65. South wind 11 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph.
Friday Night
Showers, mainly after 8pm. Low around 38. West wind 6 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
Saturday
Showers likely, mainly before 10am. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 49. West wind 6 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
Saturday Night
A chance of sprinkles and flurries after 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 33. West wind around 6 mph becoming calm after midnight.
Sunday
A chance of sprinkles and flurries before 11am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 48.
Sunday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 31.

• Like 2

I've lost the link, but at least one Cincinnati meteorologist posted a graphic on Facebook saying that some models are showing a chance for some wet snow Saturday morning. So be prepared for the possibility of snow on the ground that morning, and take your time getting to the park. Better to miss ERT than end up in a ditch somewhere (or worse).

Ground temps are way too warm for snow to stick to anything but metal or grass.

I’ve ridden on closing weekends years ago when it was snowing. The Beast howls twice as loud in the cold and it’s crazy fast!
  • Like 3