Kennywood adds Steelers coaster!

Local news reporters have caught wind of a possible roller coaster coming to Kennywood in place of Log Jammer. 

I will say, I think a new roller coaster is inevitable but the source that they use and what the source is claiming is not what I see Kennywood getting (The World's Longest Wooden Roller Coaster)

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/10/27/kennywood-new-roller-coaster-under-consideration/

• Like 4

4 hours ago, chugh43 said:

Local news reporters have caught wind of a possible roller coaster coming to Kennywood in place of Log Jammer. 

I will say, I think a new roller coaster is inevitable but the source that they use and what the source is claiming is not what I see Kennywood getting (The World's Longest Wooden Roller Coaster)

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/10/27/kennywood-new-roller-coaster-under-consideration/

Unless they edited it, it said Largest wooden coaster in North America.  This leads me to believe they would be going for the height record rather than the length record,  otherwise why say largest in North America (and not world) when the longest is already in North America.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

And it has been revealed at last. Bengals fans (due to where KI is I imagine there are a decent amount of you guys), prepare to be ENRAGED.

https://www.kennywood.com/steelerscountry

The main attraction in this section of the park will be a massive S&S roller coaster, known as Steel Curtain. It will be 220 feet tall and feature a top speed of 75mph, 9 inversions, and a 197 foot inversion- breaking GateKeeper @ Cedar Point's record for highest inversion.

Here is the official POV:

Well, looks like the "Curtain" is finally starting to come off the New-for-2019 roller coasters. I wonder what else is in store, besides the ones we already know are coming like Carowinds Mack or Canada's Wonderland's B&M...

First: I think that's a nice-looking coaster. I'm not a sports guy, but it does look like fun. I'm pretty sure Ride Centerline, who does layouts for RMC and Chance, also does layouts for S&S. I look for this to be a little more intense in real life than in the animation.

Second: Forgive me for being That Enthusiast, but I'm not overwhelmed by the idea of that area of Kennywood being covered in Steelers IP. To me, it (and to a lesser extent, Thomas Town) go against what Kennywood has been for years. Much like with California Adventure, I feel like there are ways to include IP that doesn't detract from the theme of the park, but I don't feel like that's what's happening here. It's certainly not going to keep me from visiting, but it does feel like the soul of the place has been ever so slightly chipped away at.

(Get off my lawn, you whippersnappers.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oldschool75 said:

Well, I don’t plan on wearing my Bengals jersey there. I wouldn’t want to come out on a stretcher with a knee injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And then have Steelers fans re-enact your injury the next week.

With zero consequences.

• Like 1

I can't say that I expected Kennywood to make another go at a 200'+ inverting coaster, but the ride looks really fun! S&S/Arrow hasn't built something of this scale in North America for a good while, so I'm really looking forward to riding it.

Looking at the photos on the Kennywood site, the seats look similar to those on S&S's more recent sit-down coasters in China. https://rcdb.com/10077.htm#p=53110  https://rcdb.com/9442.htm#p=35931

As for the theme... Steelers Country really threw me for a loop. This is a big enough investment to draw people from deep into Browns and Eagles territory, so I don't get why they'd limit their reach.

• Like 2

Is this S&S trying to bring the ArrowBATic concept to life on steroids?  I had no idea S&S was ever involved with something like this with their focus on their 4Ds and variants thereof.  

Also, I consider UPitt to be the bigger evil in Pittsburgh. ;)  

I did post about this here (there are already some comments):

The ride looks fun, though I can see the Steelers theme possibly being a turn-off for various reasons. However, if Kings Island wants to respond by I dunno, building a huge Bengals-themed area with a massive B&M Giga or something, that would be interesting. (Even though I am a Colts fan- I don't hate the Bengals though so I would still ride if it was a good coaster. Now, if it was New England Patriots themed, which would happen at Six Flags New England I imagine...)

• Like 2

^ I don't know. I feel like they would go after the Reds rather than the Bengals being that they already have a Reds themed restaurant in rivertown. That's my opinion though. By the way, I'm sure you read my posts before, but I'm also a Colts fan and I live here in Akron, Ohio, which is browns territory.

• Like 4

This whole thing is a misstep. People are only discussing whether or not they think the name is a good idea. No one cares about the ride itself. Once the buzz dies down then no one is going to care about the ride.  

It’s a shame because the ride looks awesome.

Let me first say I'm no Steelers fan by any means (except for their 3rd string QB) but I don't believe it's like Kennywood is drowning at all.  I think they are catering to their base.  I think it's a wonky looking ride that seems great at the same time.  No doubt if Cedar Fair decided to go for a sports tie in they could create a much more polished product than what Kennywood will likely deliver.  Polished isn't always better though and I think it works for the area Kennywood is in.   Parques Reunido's doesn't often spend much compared to some and if an NFL partnership helps offset the cost more power to them.   

As for Kings Island I'd go with the Red's if you wanted a tribute area.  Cedar Point the Cavaliers,  Carowinds the Panthers,  heck you could finally give Michigan's Adventures something,  and why they never teamed up with the 49ers next door in Santa Clara I'll never understand.   If done well I think they could be a huge draw for parks.