Kennywood adds Steelers coaster!

11 minutes ago, AintNutinElse2Do said:

Let me first say I'm no Steelers fan by any means (except for their 3rd string QB) but I don't believe it's like Kennywood is drowning at all.  I think they are catering to their base.  I think it's a wonky looking ride that seems great at the same time.  No doubt if Cedar Fair decided to go for a sports tie in they could create a much more polished product than what Kennywood will likely deliver.  Polished isn't always better though and I think it works for the area Kennywood is in.   Parques Reunido's doesn't often spend much compared to some and if an NFL partnership helps offset the cost more power to them.   

As for Kings Island I'd go with the Red's if you wanted a tribute area.  Cedar Point the Cavaliers,  Carowinds the Panthers,  heck you could finally give Michigan's Adventures something,  and why they never teamed up with the 49ers next door in Santa Clara I'll never understand.   If done well I think they could be a huge draw for parks.

I don’t know for sure, but I imagine they are paying the Steelers for use of their IP rather than the Steelers paying them as a sponsorship.

It is a gutsy move on Kennywood's part, but I will admit the theme is getting the ride wider press coverage than it would otherwise enjoy. Which might be a good thing for the park.

KI has a larger market than Kennywood has, so I wouldn't count on a similar move here. A Bengals coaster wouldn't be easy to market in Indy.

8 minutes ago, AintNutinElse2Do said:

No doubt if Cedar Fair decided to go for a sports tie in they could create a much more polished product than what Kennywood will likely deliver.

Top Thrill Cubster was really well done for Opening Weekend.

On a similar note, CP is certainly glad now that LeBron turned down their offer in 2014.

• Like 2

I actually am more excited about the area around the coaster than I am the coaster itself.  I am definitely not a Steelers fan, but I think the interactive areas look really interesting.  If nothing else, a lot of these areas will be accessible and open when the weather is poor.  It'll be interesting to see how this ends up looking when everything is complete.

Personally, I'm not digging the coaster, like, at all.  Aesthetically it's not pleasing to look at.  The layout doesn't seem to have a lot of flow to it.  It looks like they decided to add a bunch of random elements together with no regard for how everything flows together as a whole.  I haven't been to the park since 2011 and this definitely won't be the ride to bring me back.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 12:06 AM, Shaggy said:

Coaster - Yay! :)

Theme - Yuk :rolleyes:

Chances are the coaster will long outlast the NFL licensing. My mind recalls how "Dale Earnhardt's Intimidator 305" is now just referred to by KD as simply "Intimidator 305." 

As well as Outer Limits: Flight of Fear now simply being Flight of Fear.

This isn't KI related but Steel Curtain at Kennywood related... 

Since SC is going to offer the world's tallest inversion ever at 197ft which is an awesome feat to have along with 9 inversions total..  curious if CF is going to want to challenge those records in the next 1-7yrs from now?

Kennywood already up for sale, lol..   So it's perfect opportunity to overtake some records (business wise).

I'm going there in August and hopefully not fall off..   Seems like the second this thing is done being built, they are opening it..  it's not even 70% complete yet but we opening it in 2 months regardless! lol..  

OK... i'll be there dead or alive afterwards..  

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, shizzzon said:

NO i wouldnt want them too either.   But it's rather suspicious for Kennywood to be getting such a substantial coaster.. and the park being bid on in the same year..  Sounds like it's a ploy to get out before they lose more money.

They realized their mistake in branding it as a Pittsburgh Squeelers coaster and want to bail out while they can :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It wouldn’t be a big deal around here. Pittsburgh is far enough away. The bigger problem is if they bought Kennywood, they would have to battle with Hersheypark for visitors. 3 hours is a little too close for comfort. 

12 hours ago, shizzzon said:

NO i wouldnt want them too either.   But it's rather suspicious for Kennywood to be getting such a substantial coaster.. and the park being bid on in the same year..  Sounds like it's a ploy to get out before they lose more money.

Unless there is a bid I am not aware of, the bid is to purchase the chain not just Kennywood.  They already own 44%, this is just to complete the purchase and take it private.  The park is not for sale on its own.

18 hours ago, bengals fan said:

even a big Bengals Fan like i am would hate that

Here’s my two cents on the issue... I am no sports fan (I like baseball and hockey, but I don’t have loyalty to any team- I just like the sports themselves) and therefore I’d hate the idea of a Bengals coaster (not a big football fan). That being said, Steel Curtain looks amazing. It troubles me that they are having technical delays; makes me think of that picture of Max Force construction I saw a while ago where they hadn’t gotten very far.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2019 at 10:08 AM, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Six Flags Kennywood!! lol

I really hope a large chain never owns Kennywood.

I don't dislike Six Flags or Cedar Fair, but I don't want their hands on that park. As bad as Garfield's Nightmare is, I don't think it's worse than whatever Six Flags would put in there. And I shudder to even think of what Cedar Fair would do... Boo Blasters at Boo Mill doesn't have a nice ring to it...

28 minutes ago, homestar92 said:

I really hope a large chain never owns Kennywood.

I don't dislike Six Flags or Cedar Fair, but I don't want their hands on that park. As bad as Garfield's Nightmare is, I don't think it's worse than whatever Six Flags would put in there. And I shudder to even think of what Cedar Fair would do... Boo Blasters at Boo Mill doesn't have a nice ring to it...

We need a wood park chain- Silverwood, Kennywood, Dollywood;)

^ If this happens, Kenny Rogers needs to get involved in the advertising and then Kennywood and Dollywood can be two islands in the stream.

In all seriousness though, if any chain were to buy Kennywood, I would trust it more in the hands of Herschend Family Entertainment than with any other chain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, homestar92 said:

^ If this happens, Kenny Rogers needs to get involved in the advertising and then Kennywood and Dollywood can be two islands in the stream.

In all seriousness though, if any chain were to buy Kennywood, I would trust it more in the hands of Herschend Family Entertainment than with any other chain.

Do they charge admission or are all the rides still pay to ride?

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone ever find out what the delay is with SC? I’ve seen that the vertical construction is “almost” complete. There is still a fair amount of work to be done after the track is complete.

If this is stooged off, what does this mean future of S&S?

Seems like this is a bad year for coasters in America. Only Copperhead and Tigerus (which is a clone) have opened on time. Maybe there are some others, but as far as major installations go it’s rough.