Winterfest Questions

Who Dey

The roast beef was way too rare for my tastes. Definitely would have been nice to have the turkey available.

Overall, I think the food was really good, but not quite worth the price. That may be because I have a small appetite, though; I rarely eat more than one plate at a buffet. However, the view makes up for the price, even more so if you've never been in the International Restaurant before (like I have several times, but never at night during Winterfest).

• Like 1

Following up on the Christmas buffet, can anyone give me some examples of the side dishes and desserts that were available?  Unfortunately I've been dx with Celiac 2 weeks before my birthday trip to Winterfest on the 23rd, when the buffet was supposed to be the highlight of the trip!  More for the view, but now I'm lost on what I'll even be able to eat there!  I plan to call the park, but thought you all might have some insight/reviews.  TIA!

• Like 1

There were also green beans (with something in them...not sure what) and a vegetarian pasta dish with veggies.

@iheartbeast79 learning to live with new dietary restrictions isn't easy but the payoff is huge as you will feel so much better. (I still remember my pre-pork days and wouldn't go back - I'm allergic). I think there are some people on the board with similar dietary restrictions that hopefully can chime in about options throughout the park. Good luck!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, whengodsaysgo said:

Also to be noted - I'm a pescatarian, eating primarily just fish rather than other meats.  I found lots of options at the buffet.  The veggie pasta was fantastic. The dessert selection was fantastic.  But the best part was the view. :wub:

But are you a pescapescatarian? ;) (for all the Silicon Valley fans on this board!)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, iheartbeast79 said:

@whengodsaysgo unfortunately no veggie pasta for me :(.  Can you give me some examples of the desserts?  Anything not baked/bready, like ice cream?

I'm pretty sure it was all flour based, like @electricsun mentioned. :mellow: 

20 minutes ago, Gabe said:

But are you a pescapescatarian? ;) (for all the Silicon Valley fans on this board!)

Nah.  I'm not QUITE that cool. ;) Today I'm even having some pepperoni on my pizza.  But by and large, I stick to fish. lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Did they not have any stuffing.

Yes, as chugh43 mentioned. I didn't have any so i don't know how it compares to the stuffing in the FestHaus.  

17 hours ago, chugh43 said:

It was mashed potatoes with the skins, stuffing, sweet potato casserole, salad, mac and cheese and possibly something else...but I'm not remembering.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, electricsun said:

There were also green beans (with something in them...not sure what) and a vegetarian pasta dish with veggies.

@iheartbeast79 learning to live with new dietary restrictions isn't easy but the payoff is huge as you will feel so much better. (I still remember my pre-pork days and wouldn't go back - I'm allergic). I think there are some people on the board with similar dietary restrictions that hopefully can chime in about options throughout the park. Good luck!

I think I read or saw somewhere its bacon

2 hours ago, electricsun said:

Yes, as chugh43 mentioned. I didn't have any so i don't know how it compares to the stuffing in the FestHaus.  

I would think its probably the same stuffing and sides. Festhaus prolly uses the same stuff from the buffet. Seems silly to make 2 kinds of green beans, 2 kinds of stuffing, 2 kinds of mashed potatoes etc but who knows lol? Also I wonder if the turkey and ham is the same too just not "fresh carved"...

• Like 1

Got a call from Chef Nate today after I inquired about gluten free options at WinterFest 3 weeks ago. They finally updated the website with allergen info for WinterFest. (https://www.visitkingsisland.com/help/special-dietary-needs) One thing to note if looking for GF... The gravy on the Ham/Turkey dinners DO contain wheat, but this hasn't been reflected on the site yet. So basically ham/turkey with plain mashed potatoes. Unfortunately the details about the buffet in IR are not listed.

• Like 2

To be fair, if you ate gluten before and didn't die, you are unlikely to just because you are diagnosed. I'm diabetic, I ate sugar before I realized it and had problems sure. I eat sugar now and have the same problems. I am just aware of the actual long term issues it can cause now instead of just "my arm gets achy and my vision is blurry, how odd".

Moderation is the key to working with new dietary restrictions, if you try to drop wheat straight out, good luck. Trying to find anything in America that isn't A - Expensive, B - Hard to cook, C - Taste terrible all while not having any carbs (or wheat) in it is near impossible. On that note however, the Gluten Free Pizza at Festhaus is actually pretty dang good, though you have to wait about 15 minutes for it to cook, it is always made to order.

• Like 1

For those whose gluten sensitivity is caused by Coeliac disease, avoiding it entirely (as far as possible) is important to prevent damage from the autoimmune response. There are easy substitutions, so it's very possible to eliminate it completely when making your own food.

Great to see the updated dietary information on the Winterfest site.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Stoan said:

To be fair, if you ate gluten before and didn't die, you are unlikely to just because you are diagnosed. I'm diabetic, I ate sugar before I realized it and had problems sure. I eat sugar now and have the same problems. I am just aware of the actual long term issues it can cause now instead of just "my arm gets achy and my vision is blurry, how odd".

Moderation is the key to working with new dietary restrictions, if you try to drop wheat straight out, good luck. Trying to find anything in America that isn't A - Expensive, B - Hard to cook, C - Taste terrible all while not having any carbs (or wheat) in it is near impossible. On that note however, the Gluten Free Pizza at Festhaus is actually pretty dang good, though you have to wait about 15 minutes for it to cook, it is always made to order.

Mine happens to be a wheat allergy so I do actually have to avoid it not to die. :) Cross-contamination is always a potential problem, but I tend to be fine with most things that don't explicitly contain wheat.

I'm typically able to pick out what I can and can't eat, but the new WinterFest options threw a curveball so I was very appreciative that they updated the website and reached out to let me know.

• Like 2

@iheartbeast79 My wife has been celiac for about 10 years so I feel your pain.  Do keep in mind cross contamination is a hard one to avoid.  We ate at Reds once and Michelle had a few of the potato chips then fell ill an hour or so later.   Was it becuase the chips were fried in the same oil as breaded chicken?  Don’t know but maybe, not the park’s fault as they didn’t label the chips as GF.    Also much ice cream contains gluten but the ingredient is called something else that screwed with her for a couple of years, will ask Michelle and get back to you.   

Here is a recent Momcast she helped Stacy with, I can put you in touch with her for some advice and online resources she has found helpful.  DM me if you are interested.  

http://sunny95.com/dino-and-stacy/momcast-diary-of-a-gluten-free-mom/ 

@Stoan Not to pile on but everyone with celiac reacts differently, some cases are much worse than others, it is not the same as diabetes which is a silent killer.  In my wife’s case it can result in severe pain that can take many days to resolve.   Prior to being diagnosed we had several ER trips and they could do nothing for her after verifying her appendix was fine.   This was a problem a few years ago when she had similar symptoms but we hesitated going to the ER.  When we finally did she had an emergency appendectomy within the hour.  

• Like 3

We have two members of our family with celiac. We've had good luck with the fest haus made to order gf pizza. We've also had good luck with the non beaded meats and Cole slaw in the smokehouse... The meats are now available at hanks burrito. We're still trying to confirm if the tater tots at hanks (sub for Mac and cheese) have gluten.. We assume yes since we haven't gotten a confirmed no. Potato works in Coney mall used to be a special treat for them, as they never get breaded chicken and rarely can eat fries... But if they bring a year round smokehouse to the dining plan they will be happy. I've heard the turkey dinner plate option at la Rosa can be gluten free, but haven't tried it yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I have to hope that what they have in the buffet is better than the dinners at the Festhaus. I'm really ok with reconstituted mashed potatoes and Stove-Top-esque stuffing for my basically-free-on-dining-plan-at-this-point meal, but when I'm paying $20 I expect it to step up at least a /little/. The proteins have been very good, though, I've tried both the ham and the turkey now and really liked both.

Guess I'll be finding out soon, we finally scheduled a date to try the buffet one weekday this week. I'll report back, even though I know it's getting a little close to the end. 

• Like 3

On 12/16/2017 at 9:25 AM, King Ding Dong said:

@iheartbeast79

@Stoan Not to pile on but everyone with celiac reacts differently, some cases are much worse than others, it is not the same as diabetes which is a silent killer.  In my wife’s case it can result in severe pain that can take many days to resolve.   Prior to being diagnosed we had several ER trips and they could do nothing for her after verifying her appendix was fine.   This was a problem a few years ago when she had similar symptoms but we hesitated going to the ER.  When we finally did she had an emergency appendectomy within the hour.  

I'm just pointing out, just because you are diagnosed doesn't make the effects worse. It will be exactly the same thing it was before, but now you know what the cause is. It's still good to avoid it if necessary. But if you only had a mild irritation before, it will still just be a mild irritation.

• Like 2