Winterfest Questions

Who Dey

So I was looking over the attractions for Winterfest and had some questions.   Are certain attraction going to cost money or is it included in admission?  For example, Snow Works (sledding) sounds fun for the kids but is it free? Also Snowflake Lake Ice Skating sounds like an attraction that would be an add on also.   The park's website doesn't really make it clear what will be included in the price of admission.

Lastly, KI should close Sally Seaplane and Snoopy vs Red Baron to free up those two employees to open up Woodstock Express because my youngest daughter was 39 15/16 inches on closing day and I can't wait until next year for her to ride. :) 

• Like 2

Thanks it helps to actually read everything.  Obviously I had not clicked on the skating one because that answer all my questions.  So I would say the website is very clear on the subject.  

What if I cry?  You think they will leave the trains on the track for me?  It never worked as a kid but I kept trying.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

I won't be ice skating because, well, I am old.  But the allure of skating on top of the Royal Fountain at such an iconic space would command such a price.  It also makes a connection with the guest and the park.  When you visit next summer, you can recall skating there and you look forward to the next Winterfest to experience that park in a different special way.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, flightoffear1996 said:

I mean it would cost my family of 3 to ice skate for 30 minutes $45.00!  When you can go to fountain square and ice skate for $6.00 and no time limit.  

Fountain Square is $10 if you include skate rental, so the price difference is a bit less than it seems.

• Like 2

I can`t remember how much KI charged for ice skating during Winterfest in 2005.  I do know that the rink was fairly empty the day I skated on the rink back in December of 2005.  But then again, Winterfest in 2005 was not as well attended since pass holders had to pay $23 or so to gain entry, and had to pay for parking.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2017 at 9:26 PM, flightoffear1996 said:

I think the ice skating price is a little high.  I mean it would cost my family of 3 to ice skate for 30 minutes $45.00!  When you can go to fountain square and ice skate for $6.00 and no time limit.  

I skated one time at winterfest around 1992. I instantly got blisters on my heels and had to quit.  Actually this was the ONLY time I've ever put on ice skates.  I don't remember if there was a time limit.  But I can't believe skate rental was more than $5.  Probably more like $2-3 if there was any charge.  No way I would have paid over $5.  I feel like $5-7 was my budget for a day at KI back in the 90s. I usually spent it on a slice or two at larosas and a drink.

Do they use the entire fountain?  Seems like you could get 1,000+ people out there on the ice.  I bet I've seen 200+ on the ice at fountain square, but that was NYE and it was packed.  

Seems like $10 would have been a better price point.  I can't imagine them packing the rink at $15/pp.

• Like 2

On 11/2/2017 at 6:52 PM, Who Dey said:

So I was looking over the attractions for Winterfest and had some questions.   Are certain attraction going to cost money or is it included in admission?  For example, Snow Works (sledding) sounds fun for the kids but is it free? Also Snowflake Lake Ice Skating sounds like an attraction that would be an add on also.   The park's website doesn't really make it clear what will be included in the price of admission.

Lastly, KI should close Sally Seaplane and Snoopy vs Red Baron to free up those two employees to open up Woodstock Express because my youngest daughter was 39 15/16 inches on closing day and I can't wait until next year for her to ride. :) 

Sally's Sea Plane is fun for the whole family.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, diamonbackandbeastlover said:

On the note of opening up Woodstock. The minimum operating temperature is porobanky too high for it to open which is why all the other coasters are closed. Plus off season maintenance needs to be done on them. 

Which is a shame, because although MT is almost a family tier coaster, it'd be nice to have a coaster option for the kids, as well as the coaster option that the older people get to experience in winterfest temps; whatever that may bring for ye face :o

• Like 1

That would be nice to have another coaster open (*cough* The Bat or Adventure Express *cough*), but I think we'll have plenty to do in a few weeks, what with all the shows and sledding and ice skating and stuff like that. Besides, the other coasters need their beauty rest and TLC so they can be all ready for April! :D

• Like 3

Mystic Timbers is arguably more of a family coaster than anything else outside Planet Snoopy.

8 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

It will look like Dodgems enough without to many people out there. I will be on my behind more than on the skates. :o

I have never in my life gone ice skating, so that could be me as well.

I'll probably need a coat and long pants for safety's sake.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I skated a lot when I was a kid but never had enough stability on figure or hockey skates so stuck to racers.    Ryan went to a birthday party about 7 years ago at a skating rink and they had assists that essentially look like granny walkers, hopefully they have something similar.   I wouldn’t mind learning again but not sure KI is the place to do it, would rather be closer to home for an ER visit.  :rolleyes:

For all those prone to blisters.  Wear wool socks if you have them and also wear a thin (silk or poly) dress sock as a base layer.  This will help to greatly reduce friction.   If you do feel a hot spot STOP immediately and apply some moleskin (not made from moles) before a blister starts.   Alternatively duct tape applied directly to the skin works very well.  In Scouts we always wrap our nalgene water bottles with 6 or 7 turns of duct tape so it is handy.   Can do the same with a disposable.  

• Like 4

As for ice skating experience, I ice skated when I was younger and enjoyed it, even though I had to use a walker-assist most of the time lol. I think the last time I ice skated was on Fountain Square on my birthday in 2009 (I think?). I may do it again, but the price is steeper than I'd like. 

• Like 1

Per the FAQ for Skating: 

Currently time sessions are 5:00-6:30pm, 7:00-8:30pm, and 9:00-10:30pm. Times are subject to change.

Found on the website. They also say that you are unable to leave the ice and return during your session. You are able to be on the ice for the duration of your session. They also say at the end of each session ice will be cleared for the Zamboni.

• Like 5

Thanks for posting, Chris. If I were me, I'd choose the last slot as you can just collapse in your car afterwards (as you'll spend the most energy on the rink, more than, say, walking the park). Also, since you can't leave the ice and come back, I feel like this would be the best time as there is not a lot else going on (the shows will likely be wrapping up towards the end of the session anyway). 

So, in summery, I feel like the last session makes the most sense as everything is winding down and by not choosing the first session, you wouldn't be blowing all your energy right from the start. Does this make sense? I'm sure there are good arguments for any timeslot. 

• Like 2

I wonder what they mean by can’t leave the ice and return during your session?   As I recall skate fitting is very finicky and frequently needs adjusting.  To tight and your feet are in misery, to loose and you are unstable.   Most people are not going to be experts at This and I sure would be mad after paying $15 if I couldn’t sit down to adjust my kids skates or use the restroom.  

• Like 3

On 11/8/2017 at 11:36 PM, calakapepe said:

Which is a shame, because although MT is almost a family tier coaster, it'd be nice to have a coaster option for the kids, as well as the coaster option that the older people get to experience in winterfest temps; whatever that may bring for ye face :o

The Great Pumpkin Coaster is on the list of rides to open, so there's that...

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

the ice skating is something that I will have to look at first before i decide to fork over the money....i usually only go skating once a year and i know ive only paid a couple of dollars at a hockey rink vs the $15 that ki is charging.....I may do it once just to say i got to skate on the fountains but that would be it.....I probably wont be doing it the first time i go though...i plan on visiting at least twice. Plus i would want to see how crowded it actually gets before i see if i wanna go out there. there have been a few times where i have gone skating and been pulled down my someone else when it is crowded because they are falling and have taken me down with them causing sprains before. granted it has only happened a few times and is rare, most of the time it was from me falling down because i hit a spot where a chunk of the ice was missing from a previous person falling. I agree with whoever said they are thinking of doing the last time slot. that way if an injury does happen, i can just go to the car afterwards and not be in pain while walking around the park from being accidentally knocked down or from me causing myself to fall down lol.

• Like 3