HoliWood Nights 2018: Coastershack

13 hours ago, Oldiesmann said:

Holiday World has officially announced that the theme for next year's HolliWood Nights enthusiast event will be "Coastershack" (a take off on Caddyshack). More details here: https://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/2017/11/10/postcast-one-coastershack/

I like their #WhatsInTheShack.  Seems like I have heard something like that before  :)

• Like 5

The ERT sessions are long enough that you should have no problem getting as many rides on Raven/Legend/Voyage/Thunderbird/Wildebeest/Mammoth as you want. This event is one of very few times per year that Voyage has operated without trims, which is an experience that shouldn't be missed.

Do pay close attention to ERT times on smaller rides (i.e. flat rides & The Howler junior coaster), as crews rotate between these rides during ERT. Also, bring an appetite to the scheduled meals/snacks - the food is plentiful and very good.

2 minutes ago, jcgoble3 said:

(Okay, I'm kidding, but seriously, be prepared for the hills.)

A marathon multi-day coaster event like this or Coasterstock can itself be a very good workout. Keeping active over the off-season is good advice, lest you become worn out before the event is over.

• Like 3

On 11/14/2017 at 10:43 PM, jcgoble3 said:

And work out for a few weeks beforehand. You'll thank yourself when you're climbing the hill from Voyage to the front gate at the end of a long day.

(Okay, I'm kidding, but seriously, be prepared for the hills.)

Especially scaling Mt Thunderbird. :wacko:

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Honestly, it's whatever you think will work for the price point and how many events you'll attend with those groups. 

ACE overall is a good group for national events, but the price can be a bit steep for some. 

GOCC and Coaster Crew are more affordable and have great "local" events. 

I have been a member of all three, although ACE was a temporary membership when they offered it in 2012. It didn't fit where I thought the club would be socially so I moved on. 

I do work with Coaster Crew as the discount coordinator for discounts to a good number of parks and attractions near some of our events. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I bought my ticket yesterday. This will be my first time...

1. at HoliWood Nights since 2013,
  2. at Holiday World on a public operating day since Thunderbird announcement day in 2014, and
  3. at Holiday World period since 2015 (for the Bert the Conqueror TV shoot, so yes, I have ridden Thunderbird).

Who else from KIC is going? In the past I've gotten my own lodging, but this time I am interested in splitting a room/RV/cabin/whatever with others to save money. I would vastly prefer to be very close to the park; this means Santa's Lodge and Lake Rudolph are my preferences. I want to have my lodging figured out and booked by the end of February, and preferably the end of January. Who has space in their group? I don't mind sharing a bed or sleeping on a sofa bed or air mattress.

My ticket is the all day Friday option, so I probably won't be carpooling down there and back unless others have purchased the same ticket.

• Like 2

I know (at least) chugh43, IndyGuy4KI, electricsun, @pianoman, @acole5292 and I will be there. I'm not sure what any of us are doing for lodging yet, but sharing hotel rooms and/or rental houses (eg. Airbnb) seems likely. Adam and I weren't big fans of the Lake Rudolph rental RV's last year.

I plan to buy the all-day Friday ticket as well. It really makes sense coming from as far away as Columbus, since traveling would kill the entire day regardless. Might as well get there early. As a reminder, early bird discounts for HoliWood Nights ends January 10.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, malem said:

I know (at least) chugh43, IndyGuy4KI, electricsun, @pianoman, @acole5292 and I will be there. I'm not sure what any of us are doing for lodging yet, but sharing hotel rooms and/or rental houses (eg. Airbnb) seems likely. Adam and I weren't big fans of the Lake Rudolph rental RV's last year.

I propose getting a cabin at Lake Rudolph for all seven of us. :)

• Like 3

Since I won't be waiting on anyone else this year (sister and brother-in-law are expecting a baby in late May so they're not coming this year), I may see if I can upgrade my ticket to a full day ticket for Friday. I should be able to get out of here by noon, which would give me a few hours of free time before the events kick off, even if I stop at The Overlook Restaurant for lunch again like I did a couple years ago.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Oldiesmann said:

I may see if I can upgrade my ticket to a full day ticket for Friday. I should be able to get out of here by noon, which would give me a few hours of free time before the events kick off, even if I stop at The Overlook Restaurant for lunch again like I did a couple years ago.

I'm not sure the full day Friday ticket is worth it unless you're getting there in the morning. It's roughly three hours from the Cincy area (I don't know what portion of Cincy you live in), plus assume an hour for the lunch detour, means you'd get there about 3pm CT if you leave Cincy at noon ET. A regular ticket can enter the park at 4:30pm CT, so you're paying an extra $23 for an extra 90 minutes in the park if you buy all day Friday.

• Like 3

Well, my ticket has been purchased (thank you @malem for letting me come as your guest) and I'm super pumped for my first Holiwood Nights! I'm most looking forward to trim-less Voyage and the behind-the-scenes Thunderbird tour. Also looking forward to riding Thunderbird and the Legend again as well as hoping to get a ride on Frightful Falls (as it was down due to weather when I went two years ago...).

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

For anyone who has yet to purchase their ticket, this Sunday is the deadline to register online and avoid the procrastination tax!

It looks like we'll have quite a large turnout from KIC. Anyone interested in meeting for a group photo, perhaps at dinner on Saturday?

• Like 3

Hey alll, this page has a ton of info and you can scroll down for the itinerary; please note times are Central Time (not Eastern): https://www.holidayworld.com/shows-events/holiwood-nights/#inner-content

I'm so excited for this event; not counting the KIC event in 2013, this will be my first big coaster event!

Also, a getting a new credit (Howler) will be good lol

• Like 2

What is the policy in Splashin Safari regarding flip flops and water shoes on rides? We are trying to avoid being barefoot while walking through the water park if possible. We would prefer to wear flops because we don’t have any water shoes, but if we need to get some we can.

It has been a few years, but I feel like I remember being able to wear flip flops and stash them in the station for mammoth/wildebeest.