Get rid of one coaster- The Poll

SonofBaconator

Get rid of one coaster  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

@rcwizard13 Trolls?

@MDMC01 I think a lot of it has to do with the capacity and the over all experience. You wait in line forever then when you finally board you're layed out to face the sun. If the lift hill was flipped where you face the ground instead of the sky, I'm sure you'd get a much better reception. 

What if they put a tunnel from the station to the top of the lift? That would be pretty cool.

• Like 4

I find it interesting that Backlot, Invertigo, Firehawk and Vortex are by far the 4 "winners" in this pole.  I have long imagined that if I ran the park and could do whatever I wanted Roller Coaster Tycoon style, those are the 4 I would replace.  I think KI it too high of a caliber park to have an inverted boomerang as well as a Vekoma flyer instead of a B&M.  Besides there is a reason Paramount sold their second and third Vekoma flying duchman coasters (Xflight and Batwing).  It is ironic that one of them would eventually find its way back to KI.  Backlot just looks aweful and is poorly placed.  And Vortex has become rough and obsolite with the addition of Banshee.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Speaking of things being placed poorly.  I think they could have picked a better spot or orientation for Firehawk.  It is hidden behind FOF and if you are new to the park you have to walk past FOF to see it.  A ride like that should be placed for everyone to see how you are FLYING on the ride.  That is the selling point right?  It should be front and center so people walk past and go OMFG look at that thing!  I rode it at Geauga Lake and it was pretty well placed.  Right on the edge of the parking lot on full display and then even inside the park it was not hidden.  I believe the original location it was to be installed before being sold off to Six Flags was in the former King Cobra area.  That would have made much more sense. 

• Like 5

My vote on this goes to...well, first I will address the other 3 rides that seem to have gotten lots of votes, and give my opinion on why I would keep each of those:

Backlot Stunt Coaster- Honestly, I am surprised this has so many votes. Sure, it's capacity is not the absolute best, and it is horribly placed as all that gravel and the box cars look out of place in the middle of the park, but it is a fun family ride with some nice elements and good forces. The helix and final tunnel in particular are quite good IMO. If this was my call, BLSC stays.

Vortex- Sure, it's 30 years old, going on 31. And it can be a bit rough. But I don't think it's THAT bad (though I am of a height where my head is above the OTSR) and it has a awesome layout, is pretty reliable, and has great capacity leading to very short wait times. Vortex also stays.

Firehawk- Really it was down to this and the coaster I actually picked, and unlike the other one there is not another flying coaster at Kings Island. Poor capacity aside, Firehawk does offer a fun flying sensation no other ride in Ohio can claim to have. Plus at least Firehawk is usually decently smooth. Firehawk also gets to stay.

Which means, the coaster I have chosen for removal is...
Invertigo.

Sadly for Invertigo, 1 coaster has to leave, and of all the coasters at Kings Island, I see it as the most easily replaceable. It is low capacity, reliability issues are somewhat common, and it unlike Vortex actually headbangs me nearly every time I ride it. Plus, it is not even the only large inverted coaster in the park, with the far better Banshee in the same general area. To be honest though, I don't think Invertigo would deserve actual demolition...

(Invertigo begins to wake up from offseason sleeping)
Invertigo: Ugh...I slept horribly. I felt like they took me completely apart...wait, WHAT THE (BLEEP)!?!? Why am I in the middle of a huge field!?!? And what's this massive pile of wood doing next to me!?!?
??? (In a Pirate-y Voice): Ahoy Matey! I not a pile of wood, I am Shivering Timbers! Welcome to Michigan's Adventure!

Invertigo: MICHIGAN'S ADVENTURE!?!? NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!

Shivering Timbers: O dear. He's acting the same way that Vekoma SLC fella did back when he first got here. Don't worry mate, you'll come to enjoy it here...

:P

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

I have to go with Invertigo.  Banshee essentially one-ups it in every way sans the shuttle coaster part, but that's hardly an issue with Banshee being far superior.  Kinda a similar situation to how KI tore down Demon after Vortex went up.  

Backlot would be a close second, but its a tamer coaster (at least as far as launch coasters go) in the line up which is always welcome. 

Also, one vote is in violation of the 11th Commandment I see....:ph34r:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Why do you say that? Do you think its popularity went down when we got Banshee?

I think a new coaster shifts the popularity of all the other coasters in the park, but no its not because of Banshee. Maybe its because X-Base is so uninviting that it isn't worth it for me to walk to that section of the park to wait in a long line. At least with Banshee there are restrooms nearby along with food stands and other attractions. Add those things to X-Base and I'd be more inclined to ride Firehawk.

Now if it was a B&M Flyer, I would certainly wouldn't have a problem because they have quiet anti-rollbacks, faster lifthills and are genuinely more comfortable.

• Like 3

The top three coasters on the poll so far are Backlot Stunt Coaster, Invertigo, and Vortex.

General summary from what people have said so far

• Backlot Stunt Coaster
    • Low capacity ride
    • Poor placement
    • Outdated theming
  • Invertigo
    • Seen as a very low capacity ride
    • Rough and extremely intense
  • Vortex
    • Rough-not as smooth as it used to be

I think some of the themes we are seeing are some capacity issues, placement, and comfort. I'm actually kinda surprised that these results have been pretty consistent with issues and complaints I've heard from both enthusiasts and guests.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, chugh43 said:

Wildcat at Cedar Point was moved. I believe it was near the beach and then moved to it's home across from Iron Dragon.

But Wildcat was a flat coaster where BLSC technically goes underground.

In all honesty, I always thought the Backlot clones could be rethemed and permanently moved and to smaller CF parks like Valleyfair! Dorney Park, and dare I say Michigan's Adventure.

• Like 3