Ban the single rider line

matthew0813

The constant vibration on my phone of people mad at me for making a stupid post is actually starting to annoy me, so let me clarify what I said in this post, and what I meant to say.

About the second week of Winterfest my group of four friends and I wanted to go together since it had been a while we had all gone to KI. Naturally, as most coaster enthusiasts/addicts would do we rushed to the Mystic Timbers the moment they pulled down the rope. We literally raced another group of kids in a grade above us to the Mystic Timbers. However, as we went to the line, the other group went through the single rider line instead, and passed the somewhat short line that had already grown. No biggie as the guys that went thru the single rider lane (srl) had separated into appropriate available seats. Now we spent the rest of the five hours winterfest was open that night getting on and off the mt. But in that time I saw numerous groups of people walk into the single rider line and once making it to be top of the stairs and being told where to sit, wait in the wrong row for their friends and ride with them. This got us pretty mad so we told the operators about this happening and they said they would look out for that. But as days went by, the same thing happened again. So we went to guest services and told them about it and they said they were told about it before and they would continue to enforce the srl security. But another week went by and nothing happened. I wasn’t very happy about everything they had promised compared to what they actually did. So told them again and they insisted to give me a free mug for hot chocolate. Nice, but not I was aiming for.

However, the last few days I had been to winterfest, the misuse of the srl was nonexistent! Wonderful job on KIs point. You see, I was at winterfest when I started this dumb topic, hands freezing, and really mad. So I did not really explain anything correctly.

I’m sorry for being unclear and seemingly rude, as I was just a little mad since I need my adrenaline fix and i don’t like getting cut. And I have nothing against the srl, it’s just when it is misused and nothing is done about it. It really bothered me.

Hopefully this clears things up. And maybe you all will stop calling me salty.

-Matt, a coaster addict/enthusiast/homie

6bf83d1b4126087bd3b98c547ae303bd.jpg

• Like 1

I am very angry because my group of four friends do not like being cut by an equal sized group of people. “Taking advantage” of a single rider line is just wrong. Especially when you have to wait for a long time the only operating non kids-coaster in the park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Haven't ridden Mystic Timbers during Winterfest, so help me understand... Is the park allowing groups in the single rider line to ride together? Or do you just not like that groups are getting in the single rider line at all?

The Mystic Timbers typically has a fast pass lane, just for some background info.
But anyways for some reason they changed it into a “single rider lane” and many groups of people more than a “single rider” had entered the much shorter single rider line then the normal queue line. People who have a group of more then themselves, and that done the right thing by going Into the line that exists for groups of more then single riders, do not appreciate the same size groups cutting ahead of them by taking a line that was created for single riders. As I said, I went up to the help desk twice and they said that the line was intended for single riders only, and that they will monitor the line to prevent more line jumps. Single riders that group together inside the line by the park is fine. But when people who are clearly together as a group enter the single rider line and enter the ride together is wrong. Line jumping sucks man.

• Like 2

I am not sure how this upsets anyone, and no one is cutting. Think of it this way.

That group of 4 could have been in front of you in the regular queue.  That may have caused you to wait another cycle before getting on. Instead they are filling in empty seats by not riding together. In turn actually saving you a cycle wait. Seems they may have saved you time, not hurt it!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Update

Just talked to the guest services again. They said that they were sorry for the inconvenience and gave me a coupon for a free hot chocolate mug. Cool! But Hopefully they bring these things to light and hopefully address them to the public and or take action upon it.

• Like 1

Here's my thing: Some people may (unfortunately) abuse it, but I love Mystic's single rider line (as well as Diamondback's former one). I often ride solo and am totally ok with a shorter wait. If I were with a group, I'd obviously use the regular line, but it's just very convenient for those riding (and going to the park) alone.   

• Like 7

I am not sure how this upsets anyone, and no one is cutting. Think of it this way.
That group of 4 could have been in front of you in the regular queue.  That may have caused you to wait another cycle before getting on. Instead they are filling in empty seats by not riding together. In turn actually saving you a cycle wait. Seems they may have saved you time, not hurt it!

When I made it to the top of the stairs with my friends, a group of four had filled in two empty rows. I was watching the single rider line with a vey watchful eye, and they had entered the line together as a group of four outside the line by the logo. Very, very bad on the operators part, and bad on their part too. But anyways what you said is true, but what I’m trying to address is to bring back the fast pass lane or just get rid of it all together until regular season. It just doesn’t make sense to me to add a single rider lane in the first place. Single riders have always gone in the normal queue, and fast pass holders to the fast pass lane.

• Like 1

Here's my thing: Some people may (unfortunately) abuse it, but I love Mystic's single rider line (as well as Diamondback's former one). I often ride solo and am totally ok with a shorter wait. If I were with a group, I'd obviously use the regular line, but it's just very convenient for those riding (and going to the park) alone.   

I’m glad you are honor the line’s proper use and I have used it myself tbh, but I fell it is not monitored enough, and they should enforce it or remove it. After all, there always is a normal line! All my life I’ve waited in normal lines as a single rider and it’s worked for me. I would totally buy a fast pass too if they had one.

• Like 2

I've used Fast Lane once, loved it, but will never do it again; guess I'm old school and don't mind waiting in lines. Plus. with how often I visit the park, I can skip rides if the lines are too long or just plan out my riding to some extant (like riding Flight of Fear or Firehawk first to avoid long lines).

• Like 2

I'm not sure why my post got removed but I'll say it again.
First of all, its Homo Sapiens 
Second, don't call people idiots just because they take advantage of something the park has provided to them.

Funny, beginning of my comment was cut off too. But, if you are not by yourself in your group, then the lane wasn’t necessarily designed or given to you. As I said in another comment, I went up to the help desk and they stated that it was designated for the use of SINGLE riders. And I’m sorry for my aggressive comment, but I hope you can understand the anger I am showing from the misuse of this lane.

• Like 2

If we want to be literal about this, the single rider line sign does not say groups can not enter.  It just means you will not ride together. 
Is the handful of people in the SRL worth getting upset about and ruining your evening at the park?

Oh my gosh, it’s much more then a handful of people! As I said, I have went to winterfest every single day it has been open, and every time I see people misusing the line. Sure it doesn’t say groups can’t enter, but just plain decency would make one think that it is ONLY single riders? There is another line designed for non single riders. And if you want to be technical, go ahead and ask at the desk of groups of people can use the single rider line. As I said in a couple other comments, I asked them multiple times and they keep restating to me that it is designated for SINGLE riders ONLY. I will contact Cedar Fair tonight and ask more questions try to understand why they didn’t just keep the fast pass lane I t eh first place. But let’s just have some decency and recognize that the “SINGLE RIDER LINE” is designed for SINGLE riders. And by abiding these simple rules you are showing respect for those around you. And also every time I make it up to the top of the station they ride together from what I and my friends have seen.

• Like 2

Update:

Cedar Fair answered the phone and said that the single user lane was installed as an attempt to try to fill the trains more efficiently. The said that the abuse of these lines has been made known to them and they are working to solve the issue.

Hopefully they will deliver their promises. Will add another update on Friday.

• Like 2

Just used the single rider line tonight for the first time and thought it was great especially since I was at the park by myself.  There was three people in front of me that seemed to be together in the single rider line.  The ride attendant said something to them and none of them rode the ride.  Not sure if because they were together or not as a group, but I appreciated having the single rider line and would hate to see it go.

• Like 5

Just used the single rider line tonight for the first time and thought it was great especially since I was at the park by myself.  There was three people in front of me that seemed to be together in the single rider line.  The ride attendant said something to them and none of the rode the ride.  Not sure if because they were together or not as a group but I appreciated having the single rider line.

Wonderful o see they are starting to apply more security! I am glad that now they can keep he line as it is very useful, but people abuse it.

• Like 1

I don't see anything wrong with a small group using the single rider line, provided they understand and agree that they will not get to sit together, and very likely not all be on the same train. My group of five used the single rider line last night and waited 5 to 10 minutes instead of 90 minutes. In doing so, we did not in any way make the wait time for those in the regular line longer, because we never took a seat that otherwise would have gone to someone in the regular line. Instead, we rode separately, filling seats that otherwise would have just been left empty.

That's the core point: as long as groups are willing to split up and fill holes rather than ride together, it does not in any way impact the regular line. The only potential form of "abuse" would come from a group going through that line and then asking to ride together, but the solution to that is properly training the employee handling seat assignments to deny such requests.

In short, the single rider line is not solely for people who are by themselves with no one else accompanying them. It is for anyone willing to be treated as a single rider for seat assignment purposes.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

I don't see anything wrong with a small group using the single rider line, provided they understand and agree that they will not get to sit together, and very likely not all be on the same train. My group of five used the single rider line last night and waited 5 to 10 minutes instead of 90 minutes. In doing so, we did not in any way make the wait time for those in the regular line longer, because we never took a seat that otherwise would have gone to someone in the regular line. Instead, we rode separately, filling seats that otherwise would have just been left empty.
That's the core point: as long as groups are willing to split up and fill holes rather than ride together, it does not in any way impact the regular line. The only potential form of "abuse" would come from a group going through that line and then asking to ride together, but the solution to that is properly training the employee handling seat assignments to deny such requests.
In short, the single rider line is not solely for people who are by themselves with no one else accompanying them. It is for anyone willing to be treated as a single rider for seat assignment purposes.

That is very true, and I’ve seen that happen in the line, however many of the people at the single rider line that came up at a group just go on and sit with one another. This of course happens according to the means by which the people are trying to sit, but that’s very true. Glad you pointed that out!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, matt112986 said:

As long as the single riders are only used to fill empty seats I have no problem with them. A ride like Mystic Timbers has a lot less use for this than something with more seats like Banshee.

Not quite. Regardless of the number of seats on the train, the need for single riders is driven almost entirely by the number of groups in the regular line with an odd number of people (assuming each row has an even number of seats). It is almost exclusively those groups that create the holes that are filled from the single rider line.

• Like 5

I personally haven't seen the single rider line abused.

I would consider it misused if the KI line seperator at the top of the stairs would let people from the Single Rider in like they let Fast Lane into the station. I haven't seen that happen. We were in line last weekend when a huge group of teens came up the single rider line. They were clearly together. The line seperator did their job well and slowly had the people from the Single Rider line fill in seats that would normally go empty for odd numbered groups. And that is what a KIC group experienced yesterday. To me, that means that if there is a line seperator, things will move fairly for both queues. 

If a group of friends decides to go to the single rider line, they are doing so knowing they will ride with a stranger. They are making that choice...why should I judge that? 

Honestly, the single rider line is a great way for the park to fill those otherwise empty seats and keep the line moving. They are trying to be efficient. And I appreciate it. It wouldn't help efficiency (or customer service) to have ride associates at the entrance question guests if they are truly a single rider in addition to their more important roles of checking height and bag checks. 

As someone who personally wants everything to be fair...I have far more concerns regarding Fast Lane use than single rider use. I hope you can let this one aspect go as it truly is such a small piece of a massive event. 

• Like 10

10 hours ago, matthew0813 said:

Wonderful o see they are starting to apply more security! I am glad that now they can keep he line as it is very useful, but people abuse it.

Speaking of which, I have seen a more active security presence in the park for Winterfest. Specifically, on Saturday, I saw (and heard) a security guard tell some person to get down as they were walking on the seat walls (this was towards the Effiel Tower/Artisan Village). I also saw that there were drug dogs being used in and around the park.

• Like 2

Most major parks use single rider lines such as Disney, Universal Studios and Six Flags.  Only since Cedar Fair has implemented Fast Lane has their single rider lines gone away.  As long as the grouper on the load platform uses the single riders to fill holes there is zero problem with it and it only improves the capacity on the ride, it does not hurt the wait time.

• Like 10

I don’t see any issue with a group using the single rider line. They aren’t cutting the main line they are just choosing to ride separately instead of together to try to get on sooner. The line isn’t made for only single individuals by themselves to get into but to provide a line of people to fill single vacant seats to have trains at full capacity. So you can hop in the regular line as a group and ride together or hop in single rider and have a chance at a shorter wait and ride with a stranger. They aren’t doing anything against the rules by using that option.

• Like 9

11 hours ago, jcgoble3 said:

Not quite. Regardless of the number of seats on the train, the need for single riders is driven almost entirely by the number of groups in the regular line with an odd number of people (assuming each row has an even number of seats). It is almost exclusively those groups that create the holes that are filled from the single rider line.

That doesn't change my point. A two seat ride will generally make less use of a single rider line than one with more seats since there is less combinations of groups that will leave empty seats. Having just been to Universal I've had several times I was seated with my Dad in single lines because there were two empty seats and no immediate groups of two available.

• Like 1

I'm gonna talk as a ride ops perspective here. In honesty, those single riders are saving you time. People in that line know they will be paired up.  When I was at the Timbers this summer, there were many times when I only need 2 people to have a full train and they would be no small groups close by.  The line yes, will be grouped but they aren't expecting to ride together. I always found it hard to pair odd number groups together because guest always thought they were on a separate train. The single rider line will help save the space and allow better capacity because wrapping seat belts take a while.  They have single rider line at Holiday World for their water coasters.

Also in the summer, those single riders would be getting to ride before you if they need a single rider and they are close to the stairs. I would always call down the line the number of people I need to make a full train. Most of the time was either 1 person or a group of 3.

• Like 8