Coasters for Winterfest future

MaestroJr

I've heard people say that they wish Flight of Fear would be open since it's indoors. While that would be nice, I'm not sure it's feasible. The building does not have proper heating, but I suppose they could possibly bring in portable heaters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Honestly, I don’t think they should open anymore coasters. Winterfest is a not about rides. I can do that the rest of the year. I enjoy the holiday activities and shows. I’ve been twice and rode MT once and Zephyr once. That’s it. I’ve enjoyed all the Winterfest activities and atmosphere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

It has been great to see the park step up their game in other areas - especially food & live entertainment. Rides aren't the focus of the event, but they help round out the experience. Since the two major rides are in Rivertown (KI&MVRR and Mystic Timbers), something else in that department might help distribute crowds on busy days.

I agree that The Racer would be the ideal choice if the coaster line-up ever expanded. Ohio winter weather would be the major challenge - both during Winterfest and during an abbreviated off-season maintenance window.

• Like 5

Winterfest should not just be "lets go to Kings Island in the winter".  It should be about the new shows, decorations and experiences like seasonal overlays and skating on the fountain.  A different and unique experience from the normal season.  That being said I do think operating The Racer would be smart.  That way you have 2 coasters running on opposite sides of the park to draw people in opposite directions.  Also The Racer could have some cool Christmas lights put up all over the structure.

What I think would be neat for the future is if KI re-did Boo Blasters as a Charlie Brown dark ride.  It could have one version for summer, a Halloween (great pumpkin) and a Christmas version (Charlie Brown Christmas) for their respective seasonal events.  There has been much talk about how with the screen based dark rides one could simply "flip a switch" and have a different ride for the schooldays but nothing has really been done with that idea yet.

• Like 5

A nice ride through winter scenery would have been nice in the Antique Cars.... other than that they have just the right amount of rides and the right rides open. I’m looking forwards to next years expansion. I think the corridor between Rivertown Pizza and Killmart has a ton of decorating potential. (And an additional ride/ lighting package in SRaR)

• Like 7

I think Flight of Fear is a no-brainer, however I also agree with those who say we have enough rides open as it's about the entertainment. I didn't ride a single thing on Saturday and still had a blast seeing the shows and interacting with the characters. 

• Like 2

I think from what people have said, WinterFest is just right the way it is,  I'd love The Racer to be open though, that would be icing on the cake!.  I wonder if they'll add more lights next year?  California's Great America now boasts 7 million lights,  if Kings Island added 2 million more it would be an even bigger light show!   Does anyone know if CGA started out with 5 million and added 2 million for this year? 

• Like 3

I agree with those saying that we don't really need anymore coasters open during Winterfest, it forces Kings Island to be more creative in ways to get visitors in the park as they have shown they have the capability of doing. I fear that if they had more coasters open they would get lazy with the entertainment aspect of Winterfest which is what I care more about than riding some coasters in sub-freezing temperatures. I think we have been a little spoiled with the nicer than average temperatures the last few weeks and only having one coaster open did kinda stick out as most coasters at the park would be able to operate at the temperatures we had, but that's all going to change this weekend.

• Like 5

If I had a choice it would be Racer. It would be the logical choice. You could still just operate just 1 side so the other 2 trains are in for rebuild. 

To piggyback off of @dtk1378 I am totally guessing, but I assume they are operating Winterfest close to a regular season operating budget. (The cost to operate all the rides each day.) With all the other coasters/rides not running that is how you get more roaming entertainers, excellent decorations, and higher quality shows. If you start adding more coasters, then the budget for the excellent Winterfest activities might suffer. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

If I had a choice it would be Racer. It would be the logical choice. You could still just operate just 1 side so the other 2 trains are in for rebuild. 

To piggyback off of @dtk1378 I am totally guessing, but I assume they are operating Winterfest close to a regular season operating budget. (The cost to operate all the rides each day.) With all the other coasters/rides not running that is how you get more roaming entertainers, excellent decorations, and higher quality shows. If you start adding more coasters, then the budget for the excellent Winterfest activities might suffer. 

From what I hear, there is no way the operating budget is anywhere close to what a standard day is.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chugh43 said:

While they don't have the same amount of associates as they do during the normal season, I've been made aware by a few folks in entertainment (actors in the shows) that some shows are contracted....so I'm assuming the cost is higher for staffing at least in that department. 

Hmmm... that explains why I'm seeing a lot of unfamiliar faces in the shows (in addition to some I know, including some people formally from Off The Charts/Monster Rock, the 90's show, and of course, Gator)

EDIT: Also, I know Santa (from Tinkers)!

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, MDMC01 said:

Hmmm... that explains why I'm seeing a lot of unfamiliar faces in the shows (in addition to some I know, including some people formally from Off The Charts/Monster Rock, the 90's show, and of course, Gator)

@MDMC01 This is so what I imagined you looked like saying that!

santa-i-know-him.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, MDMC01 said:

There are also performers from Cedar Point in the shows.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, teenageninja said:

From what I hear, there is no way the operating budget is anywhere close to what a standard day is.  

That is my point. they can take the budgeted money they expect to operate on a normal day and put it toward the shows, decorations and such making it a higher caliber event like most of us have experienced.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

It would make sense for Racer. They could technically shut down one side after the labor day weekend for its yearly overhaul, then reopen it for Winterfest. That would give them 11 weeks for a rehab on the one side. Not sure if it could be done in that time. I know there is a lot they have to do during winter breakdown. I guess we shall see. 

• Like 2

If you had the associates for it you could even keep both sides running while having two trains being worked on.  Take one train off of each side, that way you keep the racing aspect.  I’d imagine they’d go with the first option though as doing the second would pull the same amount as the first, only at a cost of double the operators.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BuckeyeBond said:

I'd love to see both sides of Racer open & Woodstock Express open. In my 2 nights at Winterfest I felt like there just needed to be a few more things for guest to do. Other than that's Winterfest has been a hit!!

Another coaster or two would be nice, but there's already a lot to do.

Four visits in, and I still have yet to see two shows (Tinker's Toy Factory and Plight Before Christmas) in their entirety.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, robintodd said:

There are also performers from Cedar Point in the shows.

I have heard that while in the park. Also, there are a LOT of people on stage for the Lighting Ceremony/Cool Yule Christmas.

Also, @malem, you need to see those 2 shows ASAP! Tinkers is probably my favorite, and Plight and Drummers come in 2nd and 3rd, respectively. My least favorite is Charlie Brown's Christmas Spectacular; it's weird. There is one good part that (intentionally?) pays homage to a past show that took residence in KIT (I won't spoil it for those who haven't see the show). 

• 1 year later...

The Beast should never stop operating (exceptions for maintenance).

It should be open all year around and have it's own public access road with a parking lot and a ticket booth so people can roll in anytime and ride it.

And, just for an added bonus, King's Island needs to acquire a Tilt-a-Whirl. The best flat ride of all time. They could pop that in the Coney Mall area. It's a classic. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Vyle80r said:

The Beast should never stop operating (exceptions for maintenance).  It should be open all year around...

I don't think you understand how much maintenance is involved to keep The Beast running every year:

https://twitter.com/KingsIslandPR/status/1188874278315462656

It takes a lot of downtime to do the necessary maintenance.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Vyle80r said:

The Beast should never stop operating (exceptions for maintenance).

It should be open all year around and have it's own public access road with a parking lot and a ticket booth so people can roll in anytime and ride it.

And, just for an added bonus, King's Island needs to acquire a Tilt-a-Whirl. The best flat ride of all time. They could pop that in the Coney Mall area. It's a classic. 

Welcome to KIC!

As much as I would LOVE to see that, I think its as unlikely as them running Racer for WinterFest.

But one has to wonder how much faster The Beast would be with icy rails.....?

• Like 1