Coasters for Winterfest future

MaestroJr

I will pass on Orion or Diamondback running for Winterfest; Diamondback in the rain is painful enough lol

However... I do think the easiest coaster to add to Winterfest would be Woodstock Express. IIRC, the first year of the Winterfest revival, I was surprised it wasn't running along with most of the other Planet Snoopy rides. Though it would be nice to have some more rides/coasters running (like, I wonder why Monster doesn't run during Winterfest? And it would also be cool for Adventure Express to run during the event - but I know it can't because it is an Arrow), I realize that it's not about the rides, but about the shows, entertainment and atmosphere.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2017 at 10:47 PM, MaestroJr said:

This is completely hypothetical but what coasters do you think could or should operate during Winterfest, and if the event continues into the future do you think more will be open? I personally would have like to have seen The Racer operate. 

I forgive all those who say Winterfest is not about rides, but I think the park has no incentive to keep many rides open in the unpredictable "winter" months. The money is just not there, otherwise they would do it. It's not unheard of to have 50-degree-plus days in December, but if it happens on Mondays and Tuesdays who cares? There's no way they could pay all the human hours to keep many of the rides open without getting burned when a robust cold front blows through several weekends in a row. 

I will ride anything in the cold or rain. I don't care. Its something different and I love it. I think some B&M's can run in colder weather and it would be nice of Banshee was running during Winterfest. I know its just a pipe dream. Also all the rides and the coaster or 2 sets Winterfest apart from the local Zoo lights or even Kennywood. I looked into doing Kennywood this year because I just loved that place during my first ever visit this year. However its 3 hours away. Mostly just kiddie rides are open and open one hour less each day compared to Kings Island during Winterfest. 

1 hour ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I am curious to know if they requested Orion to be engineered to run in the cooler temps for Winterfest.

It would be cool to have FOF added back and Orion added to the lineup for next year. 

You really want a windchill produced by going 90+ mph in winter? 

Myself?  I'm already annoyed by 53 mph windchill on Timbers.  

You can have your hypothermia, thank you very much. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

You really want a windchill produced by going 90+ mph in winter? 

Myself?  I'm already annoyed by 53 mph windchill on Timbers.  

You can have your hypothermia, thank you very much. 

I can remember Raptor's opening day that was cold & rainy.  Getting off Magnum our faces all felt & looked like we has a deep severe acid facial performed. 

• Like 1

On 11/7/2019 at 9:09 PM, Ben43065 said:

Could the reason Woodstock express doesn’t run is due to PTC not wanting their trains to run in the cold? I genuinely have no idea but I could potentially seeing that maybe being why.

I do not know this specifically, but it is a valid reason. Looking at this from an engineering perspective, remember that metal contracts in cold temperatures. The metal on Woodstock Express has to be older metal, making it more brittle. Not even mentioning Racer. Also consider the fact that every single time you run a ride, its added wear and tear.

32 minutes ago, Klabergian Empire said:

I do not know this specifically, but it is a valid reason. Looking at this from an engineering perspective, remember that metal contracts in cold temperatures. The metal on Woodstock Express has to be older metal, making it more brittle. Not even mentioning Racer. Also consider the fact that every single time you run a ride, its added wear and tear.

So the park shouldn't run any ride ever due to added wear and tear. If they don't run a ride its pointless to even have it. That's like the people who leave the plastic on the couch. Or my mother who buys new towels "for the guests" but then never has said guests over. If you run a ride more people will buy tickets and in turn the park will have more money for that wear and tear. 

16 minutes ago, SnakePlissken said:

So the park shouldn't run any ride ever due to added wear and tear. If they don't run a ride its pointless to even have it. That's like the people who leave the plastic on the couch. Or my mother who buys new towels "for the guests" but then never has said guests over. If you run a ride more people will buy tickets and in turn the park will have more money for that wear and tear. 

I understand 100% what you are saying, but colder weather does more wear and tear on roller coasters than flat rides.

I have always wanted to reverse the trains on The Beast and ride it backward. Not a permanent thing, maybe just for the Halloween Haunt or something. 

The Beast uses the same PTC trains as The Racer which we already know can travel in reverse. The chassis of the train is mechanically identical facing in reverse as it is facing forward. I can't think of any reasons riding in it reverse would cause any more and/or different stress on the riders physically. 

It would be a special and unique experience to ride that monster backwards. It'll never happen but I sure would ride it if it did. 

• Like 1

I've been thinking.....Beast running during WinterFest would be quite interesting. Think about it. They could temporarily rename it "The Festive Beast" and they could line the side railing with lights and play Christmas music on the lift hills and they could put lights in the tunnels.