Dorney Park is removing Stinger

From the blog on the park's website:

"Finally, from time to time we have to move things around or even remove them completely in order to look to the future.  Stinger, which came to us from our sister park California's Great America in 2012, will be removed to make room for future planning opportunities. We don’t have details to share right now, but we are working on future planning and development of the park."

https://www.dorneypark.com/blog/2017/december/changes-at-the-park

• Like 5

This is probably the first time I have been happy to see a coaster removed. I was against the park getting the coaster after all the issues it had at Great America,  most specifically when the coaster got stuck with riders for 5 hours. The problems were supposedly fixed when the coaster went to Dorney but it continued to have problem after problem, either valleying, getting stuck with riders for 90 minutes and the opening day issue in 2014 where hydraulic fluid got on riders and was closed the entire season, similar to the what happened with Two Face at Six Flags America. I only rode Stinger once after 2013 because it just wasn't fun to ride a coaster and worry about being stuck for an hour or more.

I am hoping there will be a new coaster in 2019 even though I am not expecting it.

• Like 2

I saw this on Twitter and I was like Woo! I never got to ride it as it was closed the day I went. While there, I thought the land near their Dinos would be a great spot for something- hopefully they'll utilize it to put them on the map once again (as Steel Force did for them in 1997).

• Like 2

I really like Dorney, but Stinger very much felt like an afterthought to me. I didn't get around to riding it during my one Dorney visit.

I feel like, if GCI is ever going to actually replicate the Rye Aeroplane, Dorney is the place to do it at. Especially if they gave it retro/art deco architecture and signage. It matches the vibe I get from that park, and I feel like a GCI would hold its own in their lineup. I dunno that their Dinosaurs Alive and/or Stinger's footprint leaves enough space for such a thing; it was just a thought.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is it not an exact clone?  I've never been to Dorney, but other than location, it appears to have the exact same layout.  Perhaps there is a slight difference in height or length.

Which brings up another question, if they are clones, should riding both Stinger and Invertigo count as separate credits?  I'm personally not into counting credits or number of rides; have no idea how many different rides I've been on (though far less than many of you) so it doesn't make a difference one way or another to me, but something that I could see being debated on either side (if they are indeed exact clones, just in different locations).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diamondBanshee011 said:

I for one am not too sad... we are Kings Island central, so we all kinda have a clone at our home park to ride if we really want to (well, I'm assuming it's probably the home park of most people here :P )

Most, but not all... Some of us just really, really like KI...

Sorry for the double post, how do I delete a post???

• Like 1

Generally, a separate ride is counted as a separate credit, even if it's an identical model. Some ambiguity exists when a coaster is "refurbished" by replacing it with a clone of itself (Hulk at IOA, Space Mountain).

The interesting thing about credits is that there's no standard for what counts and what doesn't. To keep it simple, I personally go with 1 RCDB entry = 1 credit.

• Like 3

That is kind of what makes the discussion fun for me; there is no standard.  I think another interesting question is The Racer, the park counts it as one, I'll assume there is only 1 entry on RCDB, but while the 2 sides are mirror images, they don't cross paths, you can't ride both sides from the same car, you have to get off, and re-enter line if you want the hole experience, so its should be either 2 credits or 0.5 credits if you only ride one side.

Then of course...Surf Dog :)

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't mind seeing a GCI, those rumors have been around since 2007 and it would be nice to finally have a new wooden coaster after Hercules was removed. I also would like to see Kanonen added if not the GCI since there are rumors about that ride being relocated. I just hope a new coaster is added soon. Other than Talon and Steel Force, I am kind of tired of the rest of the coasters in the park.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/1/2018 at 12:34 AM, silver2005 said:

It had a pretty rough life.  This particular coaster has just been plagued by downtime issues and getting riders stuck on the lifts, particularly during its life in California. 

I'm still amazed KI's has run as good as it has.  

Hopefully remaining parts from Stinger will go to KI as donor parts, (wheels etc), so it wouldn't be a total loss.

• Like 1