Lion Country Safari Mauling: An Untold Story

KIghostguy

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 4:04 PM, TheRickster said:

I think MGM owned the Indiana Jones amusement park rights because of the show they had at MGM in Florida. I'm sure it just comes down to Disney/MGM having more licensing permissions and control that Paramount did.

I want to say it was actually Disney.  I remember seeing a doc about the old Star Wars ride and George Lucas was talking about how he was waiting for Disney to approach him about making a ride because he believe they were the only ones who would do it right.  I'm guessing he had the same thought process for Indiana Jones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I want to say it was actually Disney.  I remember seeing a doc about the old Star Wars ride and George Lucas was talking about how he was waiting for Disney to approach him about making a ride because he believe they were the only ones who would do it right.  I'm guessing he had the same thought process for Indiana Jones.

There's some interesting foreshadowing going on in with Lucas' involvement with Disney Parks in the 80s. 

Did MGM have any involvement with that park? I was under the impression that Disney merely licensed the name and its IPs.

11 minutes ago, Joshua said:

There's some interesting foreshadowing going on in with Lucas' involvement with Disney Parks in the 80s. 

Did MGM have any involvement with that park? I was under the impression that Disney merely licensed the name and its IPs.

Disney licensed the MGM name as well as some IPs from the company.  The paid next to nothing for the license and violated the agreement from day 1.  That's why there's a new name now.

11 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Disney licensed the MGM name as well as some IPs from the company.  The paid next to nothing for the license and violated the agreement from day 1.  That's why there's a new name now.

That's what I thought. My understanding was the MGM was upset that the use of their name in the branding of the park suggested an involvement that wasn't there. Admittedly, it somewhat confused me as a little kid and for maybe about a year or two, I had believed the silly notion that Disney had acquired MGM and its library. 

(Of course, this was a couple years before Disney started acquiring major studios and production companies like Miramax, Marvel Studios, Lucasfilm, and now 20th Century Fox.)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TheRickster said:

I still thought Disney owned at least part of MGM. TIL.

MGM's rights are messy. As of right now, the majority of their home video rights are split between Warner Bros. (a significant portion of their Pre-1986 library)  and Fox (almost everything else, including some Pre-1986 films like Rocky, The Great Escape, and Battle For Britain). This is why WB owns the first Poltergeist, but neither of its sequels despite all three being MGM films. However, it's unknown how Disney's purchase of Fox will affect that studios distribution of MGM titles. (Perhaps Disney may have a hand with MGM after all?) 

8 hours ago, TheRickster said:

And now Disney owns pretty much all of 21st century? Still haven't read all of that lol. Just ironic considering the discussion.

Yeah, the merger is now complete and Disney has yet another infinity stone to add to their gauntlet. :P 

There's still no word on how this merger might affect both the significant portion of MGM's library currently distributed by Fox Home Entertainment and the Fox/MGM titles currently licensed to companies like Shout Factory and Criterion. 

1 hour ago, Creed Bratton said:

So does this merger mean that Homer Simpson is now a Disney Princess? :)

It does make me think about Universal Studios now having all of that Disney owned IP in their parks.  Is the Simpson's ride still in the old Back to the Future ride area?  Add that with all of the Marvel, now X-Men and Fantastic 4.  I wonder how long those contracts last?

• Like 1

Just now, MonteCristo said:

It does make me think about Universal Studios now having all of that Disney owned IP in their parks.  Is the Simpson's ride still in the old Back to the Future ride area?  Add that with all of the Marvel, now X-Men and Fantastic 4.  I wonder how long those contracts last?

That I don't know......I just hope Homer gets the princess experience he deserves! :P

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, MonteCristo said:

The Marvel contract is in perpetuity. As long as Uni wants it and keeps the land in proper shape, it's theirs. 

The Simpsons stuff, no one seems to know yet. There's speculation about a 2028 renewal date, but theres also a thought that it may have a setup like the Marvel deal where it auto renews unless Uni doesn't live up to the standards of the contract. 

26 minutes ago, fryoj said:

The Marvel contract is in perpetuity. As long as Uni wants it and keeps the land in proper shape, it's theirs. 

The Simpsons stuff, no one seems to know yet. There's speculation about a 2028 renewal date, but theres also a thought that it may have a setup like the Marvel deal where it auto renews unless Uni doesn't live up to the standards of the contract. 

Oh wow, I didn't realize that.  It's definitely an interesting position for Universal.  On one hand, you have to keep paying the licensing fee to your greatest competitor in the area.  On the other hand, you get satisfaction knowing that some of the current most popular characters they own are in your park, and that they would probably love to have them at theirs instead.  Maybe it is working out well for both though, Disney seems to have their hands full with Pixar and Star Wars at the moment anyways as far as the parks go.  Either way, I appreciate the info 

23 minutes ago, MonteCristo said:

Oh wow, I didn't realize that.  It's definitely an interesting position for Universal.  On one hand, you have to keep paying the licensing fee to your greatest competitor in the area.  On the other hand, you get satisfaction knowing that some of the current most popular characters they own are in your park, and that they would probably love to have them at theirs instead.  Maybe it is working out well for both though, Disney seems to have their hands full with Pixar and Star Wars at the moment anyways as far as the parks go.  Either way, I appreciate the info 

Yeah, Disney isn't in a place to build an all out Marvel land right now in FL with everything they have going on, so they get to keep collecting money from their competitor. On the other hand, Disney cannot use any of those characters East of the Mississippi, or the term "Marvel" anywhere in the US. That even includes meet and greets. So they have limitations where they can't use their own property. Definitely an interesting situation. 

21 hours ago, Creed Bratton said:

So does this merger mean that Homer Simpson is now a Disney Princess? :)

Yeah, at first it was strange thinking about how both Alien and Predator are now a Disney-owned properties. Michael Eisner must be incredibly jealous right now! :D 

But then I remembered that at the time of its release, Scream was a Disney movie, back when the Mouse House still owned Miramax.

Right now, Disney is probably scouring through all of Fox's IPs (including Home Alone and Alien), looking for franchises they can reboot. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fryoj said:

I'm curious how they will handle Deadpool.

It'll still be R-rated. I don't think they've announced their plans for Fox, but I think they'll probably use it the way they used their Touchstone and Hollywood Pictures divisions in the past for PG-13/R-rated movies and films that otherwise didn't fit Disney's family branding at the time. They may even slide some of Fox's family-oriented IPs (like Home Alone) over to Disney's primary studio, and to differentiate Deadpool, they could keep the Fox branding. But this is all conjecture, so who knows? 

My personal opinion about Deadpool is I think he should stay in his own movies with cameos by MCU characters, as they had in conjunction with the current X-Men films. I think his cynical, meta humor would clash too much against the tone of a "serious" MCU film. 

5 hours ago, Joshua said:

It'll still be R-rated. I don't think they've announced their plans for Fox, but I think they'll probably use it the way they used their Touchstone and Hollywood Pictures divisions in the past for PG-13/R-rated movies and films that otherwise didn't fit Disney's family branding at the time. They may even slide some of Fox's family-oriented IPs (like Home Alone) over to Disney's primary studio, and to differentiate Deadpool, they could keep the Fox branding. But this is all conjecture, so who knows? 

My personal opinion about Deadpool is I think he should stay in his own movies with cameos by MCU characters, as they had in conjunction with the current X-Men films. I think his cynical, meta humor would clash too much against the tone of a "serious" MCU film. 

Yeah, Deapool doesn't fit in the MCU. Or even the normal X-Men movies. A PG-13 deadpool would be a letdown. 

I consider Deadpool as part of the MCU through the power of 4th wall breaking and the fact there's a helicarrier in the first one. :P  I always shoehorn it in after Civil War when I do a marathon for the needed much levity. 

I know its a stretch, but that's the point. 

12 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

I consider Deadpool as part of the MCU through the power of 4th wall breaking and the fact there's a helicarrier in the first one. :P  I always shoehorn it in after Civil War when I do a marathon for the needed much levity. 

I know its a stretch, but that's the point. 

I meant the character Deadpool wouldn't fit in a MCU movie. Like you couldn't drop him, as-is, into an Ironman or Spiderman movie. He wouldn't be able to be the character that made his movies a success.