Cedar Point Opening day

Ok so we have always went to Kings Islands opening day but have never went to Cedar Points and would really like to hit it this year.... just curious as to what the crowd is like at CP’s opening day. Now I do understand this year will be busier with Steel Vengeance making its debut but curious as to what a regular opening day is like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Cedar Point opening day is a little iffy at times due to weather and operations are not the fastest (though that's every opening day, nothing is perfect), it's a really good time though and a great way to start Cedar Point's season off.

• Like 1

Between reading TRs over the years and experiencing CP's opening day myself a couple times, it seems like there are always a ton of ride breakdowns, regardless of weather. No idea why. I've never experienced that phenomenon at any other park.

I wouldn't change plans because of it, but it does seem to happen that way more years than not. I'd probably go for it, but bring some patience with you, too.

• Like 1

I can't attest to Opening Day itself, but I went last year on the first full week it was open and experienced a handful of breakdowns, most notably on Top Thrill Dragster (not the most reliable ride on any day, but still). We got lucky with the weather, and got to ride most things since we were there multiple days (except Top Thrill Dragster), but beware the May Flies... Skipped riding Gemini because they were so bad.

Overall, based off what people are saying, looks like there couple be some hiccups, but you should still be able to have a fun time.

• Like 1

When the mayflies show up on Doppler radar like this KI may be a better choice.   This was from last summer right before @silver2005 made his journey, though I think they dissipated somewhat by the time he got there.

https://www.facebook.com/13abc/photos/a.111219256896.85146.91618601896/10155327024401897/?type=3

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/11/2018 at 5:28 PM, silver2005 said:

^Not enough for me to take 2 to the face on Magnum and Raptor. <_<

Apparently hitting one at only 72 mph doesn't leave a cut.  

I hope they don't hang out a lot near Steel Vengeance...

I've always found them to be worse on the other side of the peninsula, Millenium Force and Valravn in particular.

• Like 1

Can't help you on Opening Day but based on my experiences in the month of May, the weather in Northern Ohio is the biggest wildcard of all. 

In 2016, I went up the second weekend they were open. Highs were in the 40's with winds over 15mph. As a result, Dragster was closed. Additionally, Gemini and Mean Streak were closed. The day after (Sunday) it was actually colder but the winds weren't as bad. As soon as I got off of Magnum XL-200 it started sleeting.

Went up this past May and it was the polar opposite with highs in the 70's and no wind. All rides open, not a cloud in the sky, perfect crowd level, and I got my first ride on Dragster!

• Like 3