KIghostguy

King Cobra's Complete History

Wow. I did not realize I had the same birthday as King Cobra- April 22nd. (Granted King Cobra was a few years before I was born) :P Granted, I never got to ride this coaster. I do remember seeing it in 2000 on my first visit to Kings Island and thinking it looked cool with the big loop right next to the walkway and stuff, but the fact it went upside down intimidated me as I was just a kid. By the time I finally felt ready to ride roller coasters it was 2009, and King Cobra was already long gone and replaced by Delirium.

Also, good article IMO.

As a kid/pre-teen I was a big fan of KC!! It felt like a real thrill ride that I'd read about at other parks which all seemed far away lol Sadly, it closed during my "dark years"  when I stopped going to parks and before I became an enthusiast. The stand up coaster at Canada's Wonderland (if it's still open?) was a good throwback for me though when I rode it several years ago ^_^ Great blog post and thanks for the trip down memory lane!! :D

Man, I was a young feller the first time I rode KC. I was one of those kids that was always big for my age, so at the ripe age of 7 I got to ride coasters like KC and Vortex. I felt like a real bada** when I rode it for the first time. Such a sad story for that coaster!! 

On 1/12/2018 at 10:49 PM, KIghostguy said:

Hello everyone! My new blog post is up: a complete history of the King Cobra, the world's first true stand-up roller coaster. Enjoy!

http://kingsislandghosts.blogspot.com/2018/01/stand-up-thrills-story-behind-worlds.html

Great read!! I shared the link on my Facebook page!! Go check us out on there if you want!!

On 3/16/2018 at 4:35 PM, KIghostguy said:

One of the nice things about blogs is the fact that you can edit your posts. I've just added some new and more accurate information on the King Cobra's construction and added a very interesting and rarely seen photo.

Your blog is great, keep up the good work!

I know people favor standup coasters poorly but from what I recall, a lot of the GP miss it. It would be cool if the park had B&M make a standup with the same layout to pay homage to the original but that wouldn't happen since Cedar Fair is purging their standups. Hopefully a next gen standup gets invented in the coming years,

This is a great read! I'm glad you brought up the derailment, simply because it's something that I remember hearing about from several sources as a child but always as an urban legend. I live in Detroit, and I've found it humorous how the legend grows. When I was a kid, I heard from several people that the King Cobra had derailed in the 1980s and killed 8 people; I remember as a kid, we even thought the small cemetery out front of Kings Island was for the King Cobra victims (nevermind that that makes no sense at all). When I got older, I figured the deaths were an urban legend but always wondered where the derailment came from -- I'd heard it from too many people to think it was just a story, but I never was able to find out what happened. So your post answered a lifelong mystery for me! Thanks!