Ideas for the Crypt building?

SonofBaconator

Hmm. Good ideas for The Crypt building, it would tie in to the rest of the stories I made for the park if it turns out that those pesky Government agents were doing something in there. During Haunt in 2016, I saw a crate near The Beast labeled "FOF", so I guess I'll use that as the start of my story. (WARNING: Massive story post incoming- also I just realized now this really doesn't make a ride but could be the backstory for one in the Crypt building...)

After discovering the UFO and building Hangar 18, the X-Base agents were contacted by their brethren in Rivertown. The Rivertown agents were having major issues hunting down the infamous Beast which had terrorized the town for ages (in my story Beast has been there for years before the agents even showed up), and believed if they could reverse engineer technology from the UFO, they could use it to track the massive creature much better. So, the X-Base agents took some spare parts they found, and shipped them over to Rivertown. The Rivertown agents quickly studied them, and built a large building with high-tech gear and radar inside. Sure enough, the machine worked well enough that the Agents discovered The Beast's lair. However, when they arrived, the only found a small beast, Son of Beast. The agents kidnapped Son of Beast, and shipped him over to the Outpost 5 facility, where his story truly begins. However, this story continues.

The agents returned to their building and resumed searching for the father Beast. However, next door to the facility in the small town, a man named Randy McDiamond lived in his house with his pet Diamondback Rattlesnake, Denise. The snake was already venomous, and keeping it was illegal, but Randy was careful not to let anyone know he had it, so none of the agents nor anyone in the nearby town even knew. However, one day, Randy got really drunk and left the snake's enclosure's roof open, and it escaped. Since the agents building was close by, the snake went inside, and was soon attracted to the machine they were using to hunt down Beast. Through a vent in the machine, the snake crawled inside and took a nap.

The agents showed up for work again, prepared to hunt for Beast. They had gotten very close recently, and had good feelings they would find and capture/kill the creature soon. They turned on the machine, and then something horrible happened...

...the radioactive effects of the machine took effect on the snake inside of it! Denise was rudely awakened from her nap, and now she was growing at an alarming rate! Scared senseless, she busted through the machine, breaking it into pieces and scaring the agents to death. Denise, still confused, looked around and sensed her surroundings with her tongue. She sensed the agents, and while she was still scared, she was also...hungry. The now massive snake (and still growing even though the machine was destroyed as the effect had not worn off) began to chase and eat the agents who were still inside the building. However, eventually, she got stuck in a hallway due to her ever increasing size. There was only one way out.

The citizens of Rivertown were stunned when they heard a large explosion, and a huge snake burst free from the government building. Most ran for their lives. Randy McDiamond, suffering from a hangover, was out looking for his pet snake. When he saw what had become of her, he was shocked. The growing had finally stopped, but now the once normal-sized snake had grown to immense size! Randy could swear she was over a mile long now, and when she arched up, she stood 230 feet tall! Randy looked up. "Denise!?!? Is that you...how did you get so big?" Denise looked him straight in the eyes, flicked her tongue out for a second...and then ate him up in one bite. However, when Denise stuck her tongue out, she sensed something in the woods...she slithered away, looking for it...

It had been a mostly slow day for Beast. Usually, he was fighting or running from government agents, but today for whatever reason they were leaving him alone. While Beast enjoyed some downtime, as he could rest and hunt for food to his leisure, he did enjoy chasing and attacking stuff so he was hoping something would come up soon. He grabbed his deer, which he had caught and killed earlier, and gobbled it down. "URP." The belch rang out throughout the forest, shaking nearby trees. However, Beast had just barely finished his meal when he sensed something coming. The agents at last...no, wait, whatever was coming was huge. Much, much larger than humans. Beast turned the direction he sensed the creature coming from, and stood his ground. Out came the massive claws. Then, it rose above the trees. It was Denise, the now world's largest rattlesnake! Beast could not believe his eyes- this was the first creature he had ever seen that was actually bigger than he was! Denise hissed, and lunged forward. Beast roared loudly, and did the same. Thus began one of the most epic battles ever, only seen by 1 man. (Though some people in Rivertown also claim to at least have heard the battle and felt tremors like small earthquakes from it)

Joseph J. Johnson was a wildlife photographer staying at the local inn in Rivertown. He was filming and following a herd of deer, and was deep in the woods. He had only just missed seeing Beast capture and eat that one deer, and he slowly followed where he thought the massive creature had gone to eat it. When he arrived, however, Beast was staring down Denise aka "Diamondback" in the face. Joe could not believe what he was seeing. As he reached for his camera, Diamondback lunged at Beast, but Beast grabbed her and threw her into the trees with tremendous force. A branch from one of the trees broke free and smacked into Joe, he was OK but his camera was destroyed by the impact. Joe was stunned and a bit angry he would have no proof he saw the fight, so his word would be all people would have to go on. This is his account of what happened next, according to his journal.

"The snake recovered fairly quickly from being thrown into the trees, which seemed to have caught the large Beast off guard, as it struck with what appeared to be a NASTY bite. Rattlesnakes are venomous, but somehow The Beast seemed unaffected by the venom, perhaps it is part meerkat or something. But while the venom seemed to have zero effect, the bite still apparently hurt, as The Beast roared in pain. The Beast reached out with its massive claws, and dug into the huge snake aggressively. The scales provided some protection but the attack was so powerful, blood went everywhere as the 2 creatures rolled around attacking each other. In spite of the huge sizes of the creatures involved, I never got a good look at the face of The Beast due to the quick pace of the battle, though I did get a good look at the serpent. It was your typical Diamondback Rattlesnake, but on a massive scale. The creatures continued to fight, but then, just as the battle looked to be reaching its peak, something very unusual happened. A large tree near the battle site seemed to move, and it released its vines, ensnaring both creatures. A mysterious green glow then came from the vines, and it seemed to be healing both of them, and calming them down. A few moments later they looked as though nothing had happened. The Beast retracted its claws, the serpent's fangs went back into its mouth, and the 2 of them just left the area as soon as the vines let them go. I then heard a voice, telling me- LEAVE NOW, OR FACE DIRE CONSEQUENCES. I ran back to town as fast as I could. I could swear it was that tree that was talking, as I think it even had a face..."

It is said, after this one encounter, The Beast and Diamondback have never battled again, and seem to have split territory in the woods. The Beast never seems to appear in Diamondback's area, and vice versa. The town returned to "normal" with a few days, though the government agents who survived the escape of Diamondback had to go back to searching for Beast in the Mine Carts, as they could not replace or repair their fancy machine they built from the Hangar 18 parts. The building they used still sits abandoned, and empty, though some say the broken down machine is still inside, though it is no longer of any use to anyone. It was said the tree that appeared during the epic battle was the "spirit of the local forest" which had been agitated by the government's meddling, and a few said if anything more happened in Rivertown, it could turn against the humans. A few months after this incident, a young man came into town. "Hi, I'm gonna open a lumber company here!" A new lumber company? Well, that shouldn't be bad, will at least create a lot of local jobs...

END

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:03 AM, KIfan73 said:

I would love to learn how long Kings Island, initially, planned for that building - as well as the ride in it - to last.  It's easy to get lost in a park the size of Kings Island, but that is a massive, multi-million dollar, fully functioning (HVAC, electricity, plumbing, etc.) structure that ended up having a functioning lifespan of roughly a decade.  

You pose an interesting question.  Honestly I do not think that (Paramount's) Kings Island thought that long term.

I think Paramount's strategy was to wring out as much marketing of a new attraction as possible and then whatever happens happens.  I'm connected with some of the guys that were responsible for entertainment (who had TR:TR upkeep at the time) during the Paramount era.  I ask why things would quickly fall apart and never be fixed.  The answer was slightly more complicated that I had thought: essentially maintaining a ride like that (or any themed attraction) took real dedication and budget.  When you have, say, 10 guys working on that sort of thing on a shoe string budget and then they introduce another massive attraction, the whole product suffers.  Essentially, they didn't have the money or the manpower to maintain the ride, and likely never did.  What was important to them was media day and a couple of TV broadcasts.  Other than that, they assumed people wouldn't notice when things stopped working.  

This is why many of us old schoolers are skeptical when it comes to themed attractions.

Tomb Raider, Italian Job, and even rides like Phantom Theatre became a mess not long after opening.  

On the other hand, Cedar Fair has gone back and forth.

Good Cedar Fair:

Winterfest

The Shed

Greatest Show (thus far)    ….all of these run at 95-100% consistently

Bad Cedar Fair:

Snoopy Starlight Spectacular

Boo Blasters

Flying Banshees 

The future, as always, is not set.  It comes down to where the priorities are.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Good Cedar Fair:

Winterfest

The Shed

Greatest Show (thus far)    ….all of these run at 95-100% consistently

Bad Cedar Fair:

Snoopy Starlight Spectacular

Boo Blasters

Flying Banshees

I think it's worth mentioning that all of the "good" things you listed were originally introduced either last season or this season, under Mike Koontz as KI GM. While all of the "bad" things you mentioned are pre-Koontz at least a few years old, if not right out of the Kinzel era.

Perhaps Koontz has decided to put in the effort to maintain "his" stuff, while letting older stuff slide. For example, the Starlight Spectacular is gone, and Boo Blasters may have other plans for its future that make it not worth fixing everything at once.

I will have to say though that even though I hope to see Boo Blasters replaced in the near future, after riding it last Monday it looks about as good as it has ever. My Blasters worked and everything was on running smoothly. Every target accurate and Boocifer even has red sunglasses on this year. They defiantly should replace it sooner than later but it has gotten some TLC over the past several years now. Not to mention its popularity, it always has a line it seems.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, MaestroJr said:

Not to mention its popularity, it always has a line it seems.

It's been hot and/or raining most of the time the past few weeks. With such weather, indoor air-conditioned rides will always be popular.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I definitely think a coaster could fit especially if you include outdoor sections. I also really like the ideas of a water dark ride. But if you really wanted to blow it out of the park I think you could make one up even Tomb Raiders orginal idea. With the advancements in 3D Projection Mapping you could do wonders to create whatever enviroment you could imagine. (Dreaming sequence here) But I'd love to see a tracked Kuka arm coaster. Keep it family friendly by allowing each arm to select an intensity level. Or to make it much more budget friendly maybe use the rotating suspended coaster trains that Mack produces.

• Like 1

The rotating suspended coaster would be great for it. Could use the powered elements int he track to make good dark ride sections within the building but then could have more standard coaster elements on the outside. Would be a great use of the space and give a great dark ride/coaster hybrid. A haunted mining theme or something to tie into the Mystic Timbers story that seems to have connections throughout Rivertown would be perfect and could just lightly rework the current entrance and first rooms into a themed mine queue and station.

On 1/15/2018 at 12:00 PM, beastfan11 said:

Wipe that ugly building out and put it a water ride! 

#makerivertownwetagain

It would be very very unlikely for it to be knocked out, the whole building still is able to function as a multi-million dollar facility with, H-VAC systems, plumbing, water affects, lighting systems and rigs, most likely we'll see them use the building for something, the new head of KI did state in an interview around the time of mystics opening that he wants to utilize facilities that are doing nothing for the park currently besides sitting in the future. 

14 hours ago, AintNutinElse2Do said:

I definitely think a coaster could fit especially if you include outdoor sections. I also really like the ideas of a water dark ride. But if you really wanted to blow it out of the park I think you could make one up even Tomb Raiders orginal idea. With the advancements in 3D Projection Mapping you could do wonders to create whatever enviroment you could imagine. (Dreaming sequence here) But I'd love to see a tracked Kuka arm coaster. Keep it family friendly by allowing each arm to select an intensity level. Or to make it much more budget friendly maybe use the rotating suspended coaster trains that Mack produces.

a dark water ride would be awesome as well!!!

• Like 1

My hope would be an indoor log flume ride like Timber Mountain. Theme it though as the lumber processing mill and tie in the Mystic Timbers theme. Vines growing all over the building and maybe throw in some animatronic angry trees or something. That would be a sweet dark ride and everyone would be happy that the log flume is back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

On 8/29/2018 at 1:18 AM, kingsislandfan1972 said:

A perfect location for a dark ride maybe the return of the Phantom Theater but this time make it an indoor boat ride similar to the Enchanted Voyage. But hey I’m just spouting out ideas...

That has potential. It would be cool if the building  was given an old Opera House Facade and had a Phantom of the Opera vibe to it. 

https://youtu.be/65W1kmLITWY

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Maybe someone has already suggested this . . but since the infrastructure is already there, would it make sense to install a small spinner that doesn't pull itself apart like the large spinner?  Or if it can fit, install something like a Tourbillon?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWT0z9sjEoA

Do you think the public would open to that idea??

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The best thing they could do with that warehouse-y building is tear it down!  It doesn't belong with the theme of Rivertown.    Keelboat Canal was quite beautiful in that spot with the train running along the lake.    This is one of the big pieces of damage that Paramount did to the park.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2018 at 9:21 AM, MaxxForce said:

I know it probably won't happen, but I would like to see a miniature dive coaster in the Crypt building. Just my crazy idea.

On 10/22/2018 at 2:04 PM, JudeHoward said:

Maybe something compact with a dive element like Hangtime at Knotts.

Took a page from @Hawaiian Coasters 325 and @Maverick44 and made a Gerstlauer indoor/outdoor concept

mine concept.png

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/7/2018 at 12:43 PM, McSalsa said:

Hmm. Good ideas for The Crypt building, it would tie in to the rest of the stories I made for the park if it turns out that those pesky Government agents were doing something in there. During Haunt in 2016, I saw a crate near The Beast labeled "FOF", so I guess I'll use that as the start of my story. (WARNING: Massive story post incoming- also I just realized now this really doesn't make a ride but could be the backstory for one in the Crypt building...)

After discovering the UFO and building Hangar 18, the X-Base agents were contacted by their brethren in Rivertown. The Rivertown agents were having major issues hunting down the infamous Beast which had terrorized the town for ages (in my story Beast has been there for years before the agents even showed up), and believed if they could reverse engineer technology from the UFO, they could use it to track the massive creature much better. So, the X-Base agents took some spare parts they found, and shipped them over to Rivertown. The Rivertown agents quickly studied them, and built a large building with high-tech gear and radar inside. Sure enough, the machine worked well enough that the Agents discovered The Beast's lair. However, when they arrived, the only found a small beast, Son of Beast. The agents kidnapped Son of Beast, and shipped him over to the Outpost 5 facility, where his story truly begins. However, this story continues.

The agents returned to their building and resumed searching for the father Beast. However, next door to the facility in the small town, a man named Randy McDiamond lived in his house with his pet Diamondback Rattlesnake, Denise. The snake was already venomous, and keeping it was illegal, but Randy was careful not to let anyone know he had it, so none of the agents nor anyone in the nearby town even knew. However, one day, Randy got really drunk and left the snake's enclosure's roof open, and it escaped. Since the agents building was close by, the snake went inside, and was soon attracted to the machine they were using to hunt down Beast. Through a vent in the machine, the snake crawled inside and took a nap.

The agents showed up for work again, prepared to hunt for Beast. They had gotten very close recently, and had good feelings they would find and capture/kill the creature soon. They turned on the machine, and then something horrible happened...

...the radioactive effects of the machine took effect on the snake inside of it! Denise was rudely awakened from her nap, and now she was growing at an alarming rate! Scared senseless, she busted through the machine, breaking it into pieces and scaring the agents to death. Denise, still confused, looked around and sensed her surroundings with her tongue. She sensed the agents, and while she was still scared, she was also...hungry. The now massive snake (and still growing even though the machine was destroyed as the effect had not worn off) began to chase and eat the agents who were still inside the building. However, eventually, she got stuck in a hallway due to her ever increasing size. There was only one way out.

The citizens of Rivertown were stunned when they heard a large explosion, and a huge snake burst free from the government building. Most ran for their lives. Randy McDiamond, suffering from a hangover, was out looking for his pet snake. When he saw what had become of her, he was shocked. The growing had finally stopped, but now the once normal-sized snake had grown to immense size! Randy could swear she was over a mile long now, and when she arched up, she stood 230 feet tall! Randy looked up. "Denise!?!? Is that you...how did you get so big?" Denise looked him straight in the eyes, flicked her tongue out for a second...and then ate him up in one bite. However, when Denise stuck her tongue out, she sensed something in the woods...she slithered away, looking for it...

It had been a mostly slow day for Beast. Usually, he was fighting or running from government agents, but today for whatever reason they were leaving him alone. While Beast enjoyed some downtime, as he could rest and hunt for food to his leisure, he did enjoy chasing and attacking stuff so he was hoping something would come up soon. He grabbed his deer, which he had caught and killed earlier, and gobbled it down. "URP." The belch rang out throughout the forest, shaking nearby trees. However, Beast had just barely finished his meal when he sensed something coming. The agents at last...no, wait, whatever was coming was huge. Much, much larger than humans. Beast turned the direction he sensed the creature coming from, and stood his ground. Out came the massive claws. Then, it rose above the trees. It was Denise, the now world's largest rattlesnake! Beast could not believe his eyes- this was the first creature he had ever seen that was actually bigger than he was! Denise hissed, and lunged forward. Beast roared loudly, and did the same. Thus began one of the most epic battles ever, only seen by 1 man. (Though some people in Rivertown also claim to at least have heard the battle and felt tremors like small earthquakes from it)

Joseph J. Johnson was a wildlife photographer staying at the local inn in Rivertown. He was filming and following a herd of deer, and was deep in the woods. He had only just missed seeing Beast capture and eat that one deer, and he slowly followed where he thought the massive creature had gone to eat it. When he arrived, however, Beast was staring down Denise aka "Diamondback" in the face. Joe could not believe what he was seeing. As he reached for his camera, Diamondback lunged at Beast, but Beast grabbed her and threw her into the trees with tremendous force. A branch from one of the trees broke free and smacked into Joe, he was OK but his camera was destroyed by the impact. Joe was stunned and a bit angry he would have no proof he saw the fight, so his word would be all people would have to go on. This is his account of what happened next, according to his journal.

"The snake recovered fairly quickly from being thrown into the trees, which seemed to have caught the large Beast off guard, as it struck with what appeared to be a NASTY bite. Rattlesnakes are venomous, but somehow The Beast seemed unaffected by the venom, perhaps it is part meerkat or something. But while the venom seemed to have zero effect, the bite still apparently hurt, as The Beast roared in pain. The Beast reached out with its massive claws, and dug into the huge snake aggressively. The scales provided some protection but the attack was so powerful, blood went everywhere as the 2 creatures rolled around attacking each other. In spite of the huge sizes of the creatures involved, I never got a good look at the face of The Beast due to the quick pace of the battle, though I did get a good look at the serpent. It was your typical Diamondback Rattlesnake, but on a massive scale. The creatures continued to fight, but then, just as the battle looked to be reaching its peak, something very unusual happened. A large tree near the battle site seemed to move, and it released its vines, ensnaring both creatures. A mysterious green glow then came from the vines, and it seemed to be healing both of them, and calming them down. A few moments later they looked as though nothing had happened. The Beast retracted its claws, the serpent's fangs went back into its mouth, and the 2 of them just left the area as soon as the vines let them go. I then heard a voice, telling me- LEAVE NOW, OR FACE DIRE CONSEQUENCES. I ran back to town as fast as I could. I could swear it was that tree that was talking, as I think it even had a face..."

It is said, after this one encounter, The Beast and Diamondback have never battled again, and seem to have split territory in the woods. The Beast never seems to appear in Diamondback's area, and vice versa. The town returned to "normal" with a few days, though the government agents who survived the escape of Diamondback had to go back to searching for Beast in the Mine Carts, as they could not replace or repair their fancy machine they built from the Hangar 18 parts. The building they used still sits abandoned, and empty, though some say the broken down machine is still inside, though it is no longer of any use to anyone. It was said the tree that appeared during the epic battle was the "spirit of the local forest" which had been agitated by the government's meddling, and a few said if anything more happened in Rivertown, it could turn against the humans. A few months after this incident, a young man came into town. "Hi, I'm gonna open a lumber company here!" A new lumber company? Well, that shouldn't be bad, will at least create a lot of local jobs...

END

I LOVE THIS! It could probably even be expanded to include the Banshee and The Bat! I think that Adventure Express could even be tied into this, as like a prototype mine cart to search for The Beast and Diamondback! I could be a whole park story! :D

I like the idea of a coaster, but I feel like Rivertown could use an indoor ride. We lack those at KI!!! There is the Scooby-Doo Haunted Castle (Boo Blasters now?) and Flight of Fear! (Sorry, I use the old names and new ones interchangeably...)

• Like 2

It has always been my belief that Rivertown needs another "river" ride besides White Water Canyon. What if the park built a MACK water coaster on the current site of the building and themed it to the old Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canal? They could call it "Keelboat Rampage." The ride can pay homage to other Kings Island attractions, defunct and existing.

You would enter the ride through the old Tomb Raider/ Crypt entrance, with the queue rethemed to an old abandoned boat house located on Kenton's Cove (similar to how Disney themed and decked out Expedition Everest's queue line). The boat house was abandoned due to sudden rapid overgrowth (Mystic Timbers) and sightings of a rampaging monster in the wooded area the boathouse resides in (The Beast). This, however, may require the removal of the old Crypt show building, but it would really enhance the area.

• Like 2