Ideas for the Crypt building?

SonofBaconator

6 hours ago, Logan said:

Vekoma Madhouse in the Crypt building has become the Kings Island version of a Triotech Dark Ride in the Coliseum at Cedar Point.

I wonder if anything added the Crypt building will be the next "in between" coaster, similar to how WMG was built between Leviathan and Yukon Striker. 

1 hour ago, SonofBaconator said:

I wonder if anything added the Crypt building will be the next "in between" coaster, similar to how WMG was built between Leviathan and Yukon Striker. 

While that would be really cool, i think its going to be some flat, and it could be soon-ish, like next 2-3 years to fill the void between large new attractions, i cant remeber which interview it was but one of the PR employees i think it was said they want to do something with the large unused buildings, I.E. days of thunder and crypt building. personally i think its just a waste to not use the crypt building for something other than haunt with how much it cost to build, and how much it costs to upkeep a huge h-vaced building like that.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm on the fence for what they should do to this building. On one hand, it can be re-purposed into another type of attraction- Mine Shaft, dark ride, etc. Not many CF parks have 3 dark ride buildings: (FoF, BBoBH, & the Crypt Building.) On the other hand, I don't know how easy it is to build a new ride in an existing building that was built to house a specific attraction. Additionally the building's presence restricts any possible Rivertown expansion, (should the park ever chose to expand that area). 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think its appropriate to bring this thread back up considering the recent news of Vortex's removal. I'm saying this because I think after Orion, The Vortex land will be the next area of focus. I wonder if the park has basically put this building on the back burner for future development and have just accepted it as a haunted house for now.

• Like 3

I would love to see another dark ride or a new flume come to KI but I think the Crypt building should just be torn down and start fresh with that area.  The building was designed specifically for the Tomb Raider attraction (ride, show and themeing elements).  I think it makes for sense to start fresh rather than trying to find a shoe to fit into a box we already have.  I also have a feeling with the demise of Vortex, filling that plot of land might be the new big budget priority so the Crypt may remain a haunted house for the near future.

• Like 1

Agree that tearing the building down as a whole is probably the best for that land and whatever might take that spot. But I hope they keep the queue. Think it looks good an could be rethemed as a mine shaft for any attraction there.

• Like 2

I suggested this before but why not install one of the smaller spinners that don't pull itself apart?  Like what they have in Kings Dominion.  The infrastructure is already there . . not sure how much of the mechanical stuff is still there like the power grid.  Or how difficult to retrofit the smaller version.

I never rode The Crypt in KD but I read some people thought it is more intense than our large spinner in KI.  But I loved Tomb Raider when it originally opened.

• Like 2

Agree with those who say to tear it down and start fresh with the area, even if it's a dark ride. The building is a giant eyesore -- I'd rather an outdoor ride in that area (a giant metal building really detracts from the whole Rivertown theme) or where they've made an effort to make it blend with the surroundings. Make the facade a giant old west or frontier-type building (maybe a decrepit old house if you must have your haunted house -- haunted houses make me yawn) and if you need to save money by constructing a metal building, make it a large one-story building where we can't see it towering over everything. 

Technically, not even the Tomb Raider/Crypt theming made sense in Rivertown as it's a jungle, not a woods. But whatever. Use the entrance and treat it as a cave, sure. 

All I know right now is that whenever I see that building, I think the only way it could be worse is if the giant metal box was sitting on lakefront property hosting the most pathetically themed bobsled coaster I can imagine :-) 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Browntggrr said:

If the ride is great on the inside, nobody will care what the building looks like on the outside.

I disagree. I won’t say theming is everything but it is nice to see different sections of park with different types of theming. I hope Cedar Fair continues to do this on some level. It is definitely better than slapping a DC character on the ride. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Browntggrr said:

If the ride is great on the inside, nobody will care what the building looks like on the outside.

For me, the problem is trying to design something to conform to that building's size and layout just feels limiting. But I think we're many, many, many years away from something going in that spot anyway. 

20 hours ago, rlentless said:

I suggested this before but why not install one of the smaller spinners that don't pull itself apart?  Like what they have in Kings Dominion.  The infrastructure is already there . . not sure how much of the mechanical stuff is still there like the power grid.  Or how difficult to retrofit the smaller version.

I never rode The Crypt in KD but I read some people thought it is more intense than our large spinner in KI.  But I loved Tomb Raider when it originally opened.

I have only been on one other Top Spin, which was located at Geauga Lake. The Texas Twister. I thought it was rather fun and I don't see why you couldn't put another one in there while themed to Rivertown somehow.

They could probably tear down the building (preferably still a mine themed queue with the existing structure though) and put in a more standard top spin there that is open with thematic elements around it. They could give it a lumber theme similar to Buzzsaw at Walibi Belgium or Ripsaw at Alton Towers. This could tie in with the Miami River Lumber Co. in that section as well.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, purdude86 said:

They could probably tear down the building (preferably still a mine themed queue with the existing structure though) and put in a more standard top spin there that is open with thematic elements around it. They could give it a lumber theme similar to Buzzsaw at Walibi Belgium or Ripsaw at Alton Towers. This could tie in with the Miami River Lumber Co. in that section as well.

They did put a giant top spin in their, you can picture how well will it be.

On 10/9/2019 at 2:59 PM, Hueney020 said:

I disagree. I won’t say theming is everything but it is nice to see different sections of park with different types of theming. I hope Cedar Fair continues to do this on some level. It is definitely better than slapping a DC character on the ride. 

Many comments surrounding DT @ CP were along the lines of: "man that ride sucks!  The building is ugly too!"

But when the queue line was used primarily for HH: "That is a good haunt."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...