Ideas for the Crypt building?

SonofBaconator

1 minute ago, Browntggrr said:

Have any examples?

Sure.  I enjoyed Tomb Raider: The Ride and The Crypt.  I thought they were both entertaining rides and generally rode them everytime I was at the park.  When I saw what the park delivered vs. the storyboards/ concept photos I was sorely disappointed that the lush jungle you were supposed to walk into was just a brown ugly building that was built in an area where there were a lot of great trees.  Now it's an eyesore that you can see throughout the park.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, teenageninja said:

Sure.  I enjoyed Tomb Raider: The Ride and The Crypt.  I thought they were both entertaining rides and generally rode them everytime I was at the park.  When I saw what the park delivered vs. the storyboards/ concept photos I was sorely disappointed that the lush jungle you were supposed to walk into was just a brown ugly building that was built in an area where there were a lot of great trees.  Now it's an eyesore that you can see throughout the park.

So it wasn't a great ride?

I'd say tomb Raider was a great ride that people enjoyed when it opened, but even then there were plenty of comments about it not fitting in with the surrounding area for the scenery. Once it got gutted and turned into Crypt then people started talking about it being an eye sore, but that kind of falls into your not a great ride just an ok one. Tomb Raider itself was a great ride though and people forgave the building for it's fun experience and immersion but it still got commented on.

So in regards to your statement, I'd say it's more people are willing to forgive and overlook a bad exterior for a good ride more so than not caring.

• Like 1

Not good enough to warrant what the building looks like.  Flight of Fear is ugly too.

You’re complaining about the outside of a building in relation to the ride inside.

If they are going to spend time and money somewhere, I’d rather it be on the inside of the structure. Who cares what the outside looks like as long as it isn’t a rusty mess.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, fyrfyter said:

You’re complaining about the outside of a building in relation to the ride inside.

If they are going to spend time and money somewhere, I’d rather it be on the inside of the structure. Who cares what the outside looks like as long as it isn’t a rusty mess.

I'm not necessarily complaining, I'm commenting on what was said before.

Rivertown would be beautiful without that structure in it, especially when all it houses is a mediocre Haunt maze.

Based on what the concept drawings for TR:TR were, it wouldn't be as much as an eyesore, but it stands out like a sore thumb.

Doesn't ruin my experience for what it's worth, just a point.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, fyrfyter said:

Rivertown would also be beautiful minus the drop noise from Diamondback. Maybe they should remove that as well...

The noise from Diamondback is the noise of a roller coaster (screams, trains going down the track)...it's part of the expected and desired ambiance of an amusement park. Giant, white metal buildings are not...this is why Disney does its best to hide the show buildings or blend them into the park (and why, even though they're thematically appropriate, why Universal Studios' sound stage buildings look so hideous). 

You can't always avoid having a big building; that's the nature of wanting to have some indoor attractions. But you can design them in ways that don't detract from the beauty of the park. With Tomb Raider, I don't know that it would have cost too much to design the metal show building to look more like an ancient temple or something; or, if you need to go cheap, gets some vines to hang off of it or something. At least make an effort. Same with FoF...they do a decent job with the military base theming near the entrance, but it wouldn't necessarily set them back much to design the rest of the building with some government-type signs, warning lights, etc. to make it look more like a secret base. 

• Like 2

That’s an opinion, not a fact.

Rollercoaster noise, especially drop noise is the great detractor. It’s obnoxious. It is also a lot less pronounced at places like Disney, compared to KI.

For a place that is only open part of the year, I’d rather they not waste money on the outside of a building. Whereas the Crypt does stand out, FoF, not so much. Unless you are on a coaster you can’t see most of the FoF building.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, fyrfyter said:

That’s an opinion, not a fact.

Rollercoaster noise, especially drop noise is the great detractor. It’s obnoxious. It is also a lot less pronounced at places like Disney, compared to KI.

May I see a source backing up this information? 

• 3 weeks later...

I think for Winterfest they should put in a model train display in the wait areas of the Crypt building that typically are for The Haunt attraction.  It close to the real train and would be another indoor activity for people at Winterfest to do.  I always thought it is strange there is not a model train display at Winterfest.   I think kids and adults alike would enjoy this and it could be a retreat from the cold.  The entrance of the Crypt building even looks like a train tunnel already.  :D

• Like 3

On 11/17/2019 at 2:05 PM, Skyrider said:

I think for Winterfest they should put in a model train display in the wait areas of the Crypt building that typically are for The Haunt attraction.  It close to the real train and would be another indoor activity for people at Winterfest to do.  I always thought it is strange there is not a model train display at Winterfest.   I think kids and adults alike would enjoy this and it could be a retreat from the cold.  The entrance of the Crypt building even looks like a train tunnel already.  :D

There's a killer train place right across Mason at trainjunction.  Not that that is a bad idea. I love model trains. Always have. A model train of Kings Island would be pretty cool. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think a flying theater (think Soarin’) would be a great fit for the old Crypt building! It would be a good mid-level dark ride — more thrilling than Boo Blasters, but not as much as FOF. The main show could be themed around the Appalachian Mountains, and there could be special Haunt and WinterFest shows.

http://dynamicattractions.com/products/theaters/

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Klabergian Empire said:

I personally would like to see the building demolished and use that space to fit in Congo Falls and a few flat rides or a new small coaster in there.

I'd do flats since RT has none. A Congo relocation would be ideal with WWC and RFYLCB not too far away. I'd be more incentivized to ride it if it were near other wet rides.

Keelboat.png

• Like 4