Proposed coaster to come to Canada's Wonderland

"Alter a waterway to construct in the Regional Storm Floodplain of the Don River in order to facilitate the construction of a by-pass channel and a new roller coaster at Canada's Wonderland located on Part Lot 18-20, Concession 5, 9580 Jane Street, in the City of Vaughan within the Don River Watershed."

cw.JPG

Its really hard to see what coaster the park could add. I'm predicting either a Gerstlauer, or a B&M Dive

• Like 1

On 1/28/2018 at 6:45 PM, Vortexfan said:

I imagine the park wants to get the underwater tunnel beneath Vortex done before the season starts.

That's likely exactly what's going on.  Ground work, tunnels, and track laying is likely to be done for this section quickly so that Vortex can be reassembled and operate for 2018 while construction continues.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

Also, if you guys think CP's construction weather is bad during winter...

Oh, construction is down to a science now.  I bet they have most of this built by the end of Haunt.... for that reason.

See also Steel Vengeance progress by the end of Haunt.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2018 at 5:23 AM, matt112986 said:

You forgot the mike drop.

Did somebody say "Mic Drop"?

Sorry, I had too... :P

EDIT: More on topic, I did see a Coaster Studios video on this (re: removing part of Vortex for the underwater tunnel) and more speculation.

• Like 1

To me, the ride it gives is more important than the height... I'd rather have a great ride that's a bit shorter than a lacklustre ride that hits a certain height number just for bragging/marketing reasons... I personally enjoy Griffon more than Valravn, but to the average person through the gate, either would be a great hit...

I doubt it will interact with the mountain... From where it is to the mountain is pretty long haul for a dive coaster... They're already going around/through Vortex, having to go over Guardian and may make it look really cluttered...

As for inversions, if it's a dive, the answer is 'not enough'... Canada's Wonderland has 14 inversions, spread over 4 at best mediocre rides, 3 of which is are just off the shelf "I'll take one of those please" coasters, and the 4th is a Arrow Looper that isn't as good as Vortex (KI), Lock Ness Monster (BGW) or Anaconda (KD)...

The park has rides with 75 and 80 degree drops... Do they really need a 90 degree drop that bad???

I'd say something is better than nothing, but I'd point to Soaring Timbers, Guardian and Time Warp as exceptions to that rule...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A dive makes sense for Canada's Wonderland because a lot of their current coasters are pretty mediocre so having a dive will give them a good top 3 with Leviathan and Behemoth. Plus it'll be the only dive coaster in Canada so that could break some records there. Canada's Wonderland already has an invert, so I wasn't really surprised to see that they got a dive.

I'm curious to see if we'll see more of these B&M dive machines around the chain as the years progress. California's Great America might get one since they're trying to break 200ft on multiple rides. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Nice! Looks like the new coaster will interact with Vortex, much like how Son of Beast interacted with (what is now called) The Bat years ago.

EDIT: Also, a bit off-topic, but... for thos who have ridden both, how does CW's Vortex compare with The Bat at Kings Island?

Is that tunnel wide enough for a Dive coaster?  Perhaps its perspective, but it doesn't look wide enough for the long, 3 deep trains that I've seen on the B&M dive coasters, perhaps a narrower car dive coaster?  I'm thinking something like Griffon would be too wide to pass thru that tunnel, or if not, it would provide some serious "chopper" effects.

^There are smaller dive coasters B&M has made that are only 6 across instead of 8 or 10.   

I'm not ready to call this a dive coaster quite yet.  If they did that, I don't think they'd settle for the 6 across cars for a park as busy as CW is.  It's clearly not an inverted coaster or a flying coaster, the tunnel is much too narrow for a wing coaster, and CW already has a hyper and a giga.  I'm leaning towards a standard floorless at this point. 

MDMC01, to answer your question, I prefer the setting of The Bat to that of Vortex at Canada`s Wonderland.  Because the way the lift goes up in Wonder Mountain, you do not really get a sense of height like you do with The Bat.  And I seem to recall the ride felt slower than The Bat, but that could be because of the lack of trees near the ride.  The Vortex does have the fact that it is close to the rest of the park, and not a long trek to the station like The Bat has.