Kings Island 2018 Discussion Thread

JubJester

Here are some mental notes about different things I took in for the preview night-

- International Street looks fabulous at night

- Racer is running a bit better, sounds like new anti-roll backs on the hills that have them

- Coney BBQ is a welcome new addition, hopefully the AC runs a bit better in the summer

- May have seen clearing back by the dinos, or at the very least a spot with some fresh-esque overturned dirt, cannot confirm with certainty since this was seen during a ride on Racer and it isn't the best vantage point to see back there, Eiffel Tower was closed most of the night 

- WindSeeker had some weird swaying of the seats when it tested about a few hours into the evening, looked like something that would happen if it didn't have the dampeners

EDIT: There is also a big structure surrounding the band stand, which means better lighting and possibly altered acoustics for Off The Charts.  I'm super excited for what the River City Band may have in store this season.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

Here are some mental notes about different things I took in for the preview night-

- International Street looks fabulous at night

- Racer is running a bit better, sounds like new anti-roll backs on the hills that have them

- Coney BBQ is a welcome new addition, hopefully the AC runs a bit better in the summer

- May have seen clearing back by the dinos, or at the very least a spot with some fresh-esque overturned dirt, cannot confirm with certainty since this was seen during a ride on Racer and it isn't the best vantage point to see back there, Eiffel Tower was closed most of the night 

- WindSeeker had some weird swaying of the seats when it tested about a few hours into the evening, looked like something that would happen if it didn't have the dampeners

EDIT: There is also a big structure surrounding the band stand, which means better lighting and possibly altered acoustics for Off The Charts.  I'm super excited for what the River City Band may have in store this season.  

Uh, finally, someone is reporting clearing of land! I saw from the smoking area, and grading is occurring.

I didn't see much of the park tonight, having spent most of my time in Planet Snoopy, but I did notice a few other things not mentioned here so far:

Tower Gardens is no longer a designated smoking area
The Coca-Cola building in Coney Mall has been renovated - there's more room inside now and there are 6 Freestyle machines instead of 4
Several other general improvements in Coney Mall - a few new planters and seating areas along the midway

• Like 3

They may have. I was only over that way for a short time and it was dark by then.

On an unrelated note, somehow my pass got renewed as a junior/senior pass instead of a regular pass. Had to go to the sales window and pay $59 to get that fixed, and I have to go to Guest Services tomorrow to get my dining plan straightened out.

Renewed my Platinum Pass in January and added the meal plan, season long drinks, and season long FunPix just as I had it last year. 

Tried accessing the FunPix kiosk back at The Beast last night about 5:30pm and it said that the barcode on my pass was invalid. Anyone else have a similar issue?

On another note, waits weren't that bad for the time I was there. Got to the park about 5, left about 8:00pm. Squeezed in rides on The Beast, Diamondback, and Mystic Timbers. Waited no more than 20 minutes for either. Looks like the KI Drive/Western Row construction for the most part is done. I came into the park via Columbia Road and KI Drive instead of I-71 so having the traffic light being further back across from One Team Way really helps with the traffic issues where Western Row/KI Drive/Columbia came together in the past.

6 hours ago, Oldiesmann said:

I didn't see much of the park tonight, having spent most of my time in Planet Snoopy, but I did notice a few other things not mentioned here so far:

Tower Gardens is no longer a designated smoking area
The Coca-Cola building in Coney Mall has been renovated - there's more room inside now and there are 6 Freestyle machines instead of 4
Several other general improvements in Coney Mall - a few new planters and seating areas along the midway

Do you think the new planters in Coney Mall look good enough for them removing the tree's and shrubs?   Could have they kept the tree's and shrubs and added the planters also?   Most people want more shade not less..

• Like 3

I am thinking that the trees that were in the area with the planters (I believe the brick planters are the existing ones) were likely dying/past their mature life, as I think they were original/transplants from Coney.  It was nice to see the new colored concrete seat wall where the High Striker game used to be.  

Also, the Subway building was repainted.  Additionally, the Main Source Bank ATMs have been rebranded as First Financial Banks, after the First Financial Bank purchase/merger with Main Source Bank officially closed on April 1st.

I also noticed that the lights on the actual Grand Carousel were not on when I went by around 9pm.  Hopefully someone just forgot to switch a switch, as the ride looked dark and kind of sad without those lights on.  The band organ was at least on and playing though.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Hoeter said:

Tried accessing the FunPix kiosk back at The Beast last night about 5:30pm and it said that the barcode on my pass was invalid. Anyone else have a similar issue?

Yes,  FP Kiosk was doing the same for us at Dback and Beast.  Attendant at Beast told us our account was fine and the kiosk was acting up all night.  Worked fine at Banshee.  

General observations from preview night:

• The area around the Carousel, Coney BBQ, and Subway all look nice.
  • Coney BBQ's food and layout was great.  The restaurant blends in with the area nicely and looks it was always there.
  • I was impressed to see Chef Major and Chef Nate both working in the kitchen and making sure everything was going good.
  • The Dinos area looks like some trees have been taken out.  It looks like they have been taken out selectively though.  The Racer gives a good view as does the Eiffel Tower of this area.  I'm leaning against the giga for next year and I wouldn't be surprised if they level some of that area out and put Antiques back there along with a flat or two.  There is plenty of land that they could gradually build it up and eventually put a giga back there in the next 3-5 years.
  • The LED lighting on International Street was nice.
  • I really liked the bluegrass/folk vibe in Rivertown and the music was a nice touch.  It is amazing how a simple item like music can really change the feel of an area.  Also great to see the instrumental music back on IS.
  • Like 4

Firehawk's  dispatch interval was different but it seemed to prevent stacking on the brake run. That will make a huge difference to guests when they aren't out in the sun just sitting, assuming it continues.

Beast: The "banked" turn into the covered brake run is still rough. The rest of the course seemed fine.

14 hours ago, Hoeter said:

Renewed my Platinum Pass in January and added the meal plan, season long drinks, and season long FunPix just as I had it last year. 

On another note, waits weren't that bad for the time I was there. Got to the park about 5, left about 8:00pm. Squeezed in rides on The Beast, Diamondback, and Mystic Timbers. Waited no more than 20 minutes for either. Looks like the KI Drive/Western Row construction for the most part is done. I came into the park via Columbia Road and KI Drive instead of I-71 so having the traffic light being further back across from One Team Way really helps with the traffic issues where Western Row/KI Drive/Columbia came together in the past.

My pass scanned, but none of my pictures are showing up on funpix :///

15 hours ago, Hoeter said:

The Diamondback did that to mine but there wasn't a problem when the associate used it.

Went back later and the kiosk worked.

Narrator: “A year passed. Winter changed into Spring. Spring changed into Summer. Summer changed back into Winter. And Winter gave Spring and Summer a miss and went straight on into Autumn.”

6E8A1665-7C10-4B97-B77F-CC811D78C26E.jpeg

Honestly, it looks like KI has kept some of its Winterfest props in place. When will the park confirm the 2018 version of it?

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

Narrator: “A year passed. Winter changed into Spring. Spring changed into Summer. Summer changed back into Winter. And Winter gave Spring and Summer a miss and went straight on into Autumn.”

Honestly, it looks like KI has kept some of its Winterfest props in place. When will the park confirm the 2018 version of it?

They already confirmed it on their website...

• Like 2

They were promoting Winterfest as part of your Gold Pass if you upgraded your ticket today on FunTV in the Festhaus this evening.

I rode The Beast once yesterday and once today, and did not notice anything different with the lift speeds on The Beast.

One thing I noticed both yesterday and today, is that the actual lights on the Carousel were not on.  Hopefully this gets fixed as the ride looked extremely dark.  The lights on the Carousel shelter were on, but the lights on the actual ride itself were not.  Just seemed off.  Glad to hear the band organ playing though.

Had a nice evening at the park this evening with my wife and son.  I actually rode Woodstock`s Whirlybirds for the first time ever tonight with him.  The crew working that attractions was quite awesome and interacting with the guests and high fiving people when they got off, asking what our favorite ride was, etc.  We enjoyed their enthusiasm so much, that we stopped by guest relations on the way out to leave them a guest compliment.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

Winterfest starts on Black Friday again November 23 - December 30th